• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • c3k
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2018

Range day.

I used Hornady 123gr. Black. (Because that's all I've got.) I zeroed the scope at 100 yards. (Bore sighted at 50, checked it with 3 shots, then went to 100.)

The winds were from left to right, 5 gusting to 15 mph, full value. A lot more gusty and very little calm.

Here's my group after sighting in...

Results.jpg

A few points:

1. This was my first group after sighting in. It was NOT my best group. It was my ONLY group. (Windy, and two other shooters and I had to get some other reps in.)

2. The shot to the left was one I snapped off trying to time the wind. I called it left as the trigger broke. That one hurts.

3. But, even with that, this is now sub-MOA. (At least for that group, that day! )

Alexander Arms stepped up. I am VERY happy with the barrel and, in fact, with the entire build.

Now, I've skipped over a lot of the actual build process, but the final result is FAR better than what I started with, even before the barrel loosened from the extension.

Thanks for following.

Ken

Comment

• AR15gunner
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2018

Good to hear.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
        Chieftain
        • Oct 2016

There we go, happy customer. AA does good work, I guess it just takes some time. Glad you're in better shape, now to find your loads.
        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Steamburn
          Warrior
          • Apr 2015

Congratulations!!!

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

Your muzzle device looks to be a VG6 btw.
            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• c3k
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
              Your muzzle device looks to be a VG6 btw.
              You know, that's what I thought it was, but a quick detour to their website when I was typing this up did not show it... You are correct.

Comment

• c3k
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2018

Yep. Gotta do some work with different rounds and find out what this barrel really likes.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by c3k View Post
                  Yep. Gotta do some work with different rounds and find out what this barrel really likes.
                  All my 16 inch AA barrels loved the federal fusion round.

120 gold dot and ar-comp on top a cci450 is a good handload to try as well.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

Cool write-up and sweet build. Apparently, yet another variable in the accuracy game is build quality. Who'da thunk?
                    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• sqeezeatrigger
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                      All my 16 inch AA barrels loved the federal fusion round.

120 gold dot and ar-comp on top a cci450 is a good handload to try as well.
                      My AA 16" barrel shoots the Federal Fusion best too

Comment

• Constitutionalist
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2016

Interesting read. Glad your rifle shoots for you!

Seems strange for AA to screw around for two months trying to find an extension that timed though. Sometimes it seems like people aren't thinking- I once bought a Lee .480 Ruger die set and the shell holder wouldn't accept Hornady brass. I was talking to their rep about getting another handle for my Classic Cast press. (I bent the original resizing .50BMG brass.) I mentioned the shell holder to the rep and she offered to email me a pre-paid RMA to return it. I told her it was only a $6 part and the shipping would be more than the value. She said, "Oh. That's right. I'll send you a new one." Four days later the handle and the shell holder arrived in the mail Parts and shipping was free..

I'm sure AA lost their butts on that barrel with all the labor spent spinning extensions on and off! I guess they made it right (eventually). I think I'll keep my distance though. Waiting two months for someone fix a problem that could have been solved in 4 days by sending you a new one (made correctly) is not my idea of time well spent.

Glad you're happy! Enjoy!

John

Comment

Working...
                        X