• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ETEX HUNTER
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2020

Reloads/Headspace Issue

new build. tool craft bolt carrier & a Grendel hunter bolt, BCA barrel. it will battery fine, but it is like it is stuck very tight have to struggle with it to eject the round. no it will not cycle. bolt opens and comes back enough to unlock.
    it has be head spaced checked, that is all good. you can drop a round of ammo in the barrel and it falls in easy, turn it up and the round falls out easy. so it is not a chamber issue.
    here is my question
    could it be the extraction claw is to tight or the injection pin spring is to stiff ?
    what else could it be ?
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 10-29-2020, 03:49 PM. Reason: Corrected thread title for benefit of all
  • Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Some things to check, what does the extracted brass look like? Gouges at the rim might indicate that the extractor isn't popping over the rim.
    A good head space test dose not tell if you have a short throat/bullet into the lands issue, inspect the bullet of the cartridge you have ejected unfired for marking from the lands. Last, measure the over all length of the round before it has cycled and after. Sometimes if the neck tension is not sufficient the loading process can let the bullet slide forward in the case and into the lands. It should not "grow" more than a .001 or .002 if any.
    Pictures of the brass and bullet will help in the diagnostic process, along with ammo brand, measured bolt length, bolt face depth.

Comment

• ETEX HUNTER
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
      Some things to check, what does the extracted brass look like? Gouges at the rim might indicate that the extractor isn't popping over the rim.
      A good head space test dose not tell if you have a short throat/bullet into the lands issue, inspect the bullet of the cartridge you have ejected unfired for marking from the lands. Last, measure the over all length of the round before it has cycled and after. Sometimes if the neck tension is not sufficient the loading process can let the bullet slide forward in the case and into the lands. It should not "grow" more than a .001 or .002 if any.
      Pictures of the brass and bullet will help in the diagnostic process, along with ammo brand, measured bolt length, bolt face depth.
      well, your info was a great help. the extractor was stiff and not working properly. little work on that it is working fine now. next I had gotten some hand load ammo from what I thought was a reputable guy local to me. the neck had not been trimmed after resizing which made the case to long. I'm cycling Hornady Black 123g ELD & Hornady 123g SST with no issues .

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Comment

• ETEX HUNTER
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2020

I thought this person knew what they were doing on the reloads.. anyway, factory ammo works great.

Comment

• olde sarge
            Warrior
            • May 2014

If you are wanting to reload I would be happy to give you any help I can. Live close (Goodrich) and have reloaded for near 60 yrs. I have found that my two Grendels shoot factory SST's well enough I have not reloaded for Grendel but can help with basics.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

ET,

VAS is on the money here. Your hand-loads are too tight for the chamber. You can drop them into a chamber and they will fall back out with gravity and a wiggle but once they are fired they expand to grip the chamber. They then contract as the pressure drops so they can be extracted. If they were a tight fit to start with they will not contract enough. The ammo your friend gave you would not be brand new cases, but reloads, yes?

Sarge's offer is very kind.

Comment

• Mesa1978
                Warrior
                • May 2015

A SAAMI spec ammo checker is a worthwhile purchase to verify reloads.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Mesa1978 View Post
                  A SAAMI spec ammo checker is a worthwhile purchase to verify reloads.
                  The problem with that is noone resized to sammi spec. We bump the shoulder at max 5 thousands and shot for 3 to 3 thousands shoulder bump and that will still be outside of the sammi gauge.

Comment

• Mesa1978
                    Warrior
                    • May 2015

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                    The problem with that is noone resized to sammi spec. We bump the shoulder at max 5 thousands and shot for 3 to 3 thousands shoulder bump and that will still be outside of the sammi gauge.
                    To each their own.

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Mesa1978 View Post
                      To each their own.
                      Mesa,

SAAMI spec ammo works but if he is reloading spent cases from his own gun then bumping them 3-thou is better than squashing them back to SAAMI. To be fair, both will work.

Comment

• Mesa1978
                        Warrior
                        • May 2015

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                        Mesa,

SAAMI spec ammo works but if he is reloading spent cases from his own gun then bumping them 3-thou is better than squashing them back to SAAMI. To be fair, both will work.
                        Just trying to help out the OP at his ability level.

Comment

• ETEX HUNTER
                          Bloodstained
                          • Aug 2020

Originally posted by olde sarge View Post
                          If you are wanting to reload I would be happy to give you any help I can. Live close (Goodrich) and have reloaded for near 60 yrs. I have found that my two Grendels shoot factory SST's well enough I have not reloaded for Grendel but can help with basics.
                          thanks for the offer I'm doing well with Hornady Black 123g ELD M & 123g SST factor ammo.

Comment

• olde sarge
                            Warrior
                            • May 2014

You are welcome. I am shooting the same stuff and find it will shoot between .75 and 1.25 inch in my rifles depending on me. For the hog hunting I do I am perfectly satisfied with them and they seem to stop hogs much better than the 7.62x39 I used before.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Get one of these (Hornady headspace comparator kit) to measure your headspace before and after firing, and set your die up based on what it will take to get consistent lock-up without moving the shoulder too much.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X