• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A1Vixen
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2017

6mm AR Turbo 40 Improved

Hey there,

Because the 6mm AR Turbo 40 imp hasn't a own Forum I will try here to get some tips and experiences.

We shot now in Long Range competitions in Europe 2 years our 6.5 Grendel and got some great results.
    But the competitors change more and more to the 6.5 Creedmoor in the semi auto classes.

Their results are not that better then we have but it is getting harder to get a podium position.

The AR10 results that their Creedmoors get are not comparable with those we get with our bolt actions and only a little better than the results we get with the Grendel.
    So we will try the 6mmAR Turbo 40? imp.
    I don't understand why, but the Ar15 seems to group better than the AR10.

With the powders we will be limited to powders who have REACH for Europe.
    So this will be probably limited to Ramshot, maybe IMR 4166, N140, RL15, Lovex D073.6 (AA2520), CFE223.

As soon as all the parts arrived and the gunsmith to does my barrel I can start to test.

Our competitions are on 300m, 500m, 600m, 800m, 1000m and up to 1110m.
    That's why I want to try the RDF 105gr.
    We got amazing results with the 140gr RDF in our Creedmoors.
    Even if the MV is a little lower, the B.C. is absolutely phenomenal in that class and even better than the 107gr SMK.
    If this would really work to get good groups with a 26" barrel and that bullet @ around 2725fps-2800fps the drop and wind drift would be ways different then our actual 6.5 Grendel.

We have actually a 20" Ar15 6.5 Grendel and it only works really good with 123gr Nosler CC and TAC which reaches only 2350fps in our rifle.
    Like I said, we got good groups and good results, but we need something better in drop and wind drift.

If someone would have some tips and infos for us who would safe a lot of testing, this would certainly help a lot.
    Last edited by A1Vixen; 01-10-2020, 04:34 PM.
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

I'm not positive, but if I were a betting man, the 110 A-tips would win over the RDFs. Might be worth looking into. I've never bought any 6mm bullets, but from what I'm around locally, the 107 SMK, the 105 Berger hybrids, and now the 110 A-tips seems to be the go-to for that bore.

Of course, these are guys doing more elegant cartriges like the Dasher, BR, and BRAs. I couldn't even tell you how they'd compare, but the 6mm AR-I would be pretty close to the dasher in terms of capacity, I think the differences mainly would be the mag length limits.
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• phishfood
      Warrior
      • Jul 2017

Not 100% sure if this is the same caliber you are talking about, but there is some discussion going on over in a different subforum, might be worth a look.

Fed-ex came by with a surprise yesterday, 28" 6mm AR 1:7 barrel about 3 weeks before I expected it. Bought an RCA bolt along with it. Gas port is at rifle +2". Assembled it to a Davidson Defense upper using a 14.6" White Oak Armament forend and a Superlative Firearms AGB. Topped it off with a Vortex Viper HST 6 -

Comment

• A1Vixen
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by phishfood View Post
        Not 100% sure if this is the same caliber you are talking about, but there is some discussion going on over in a different subforum, might be worth a look.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-Caliber-6mmAR
        There are 6mm AR, 6mm AR Turbo and 6mm AR Turbo 40? imp. which has the biggest case capacity near the 6mm BR.

The A-Tips are almost 100€/100pcs in Europe, this is no option
        And the Nosler RDF have a better B.C. than the 105 Berger Hybrid and 107gr SMK.
        They are payable here in Europe.

We build a new AR15 Semi-Auto that's why we're using a 6mm AR Turbo 40? imp. and not a 6mm BR or Dasher.
        For a Bolt Action there are better options, there we're using 6.5 Creedmoors and we're really happy with the results.

Comment

• soloelcap
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2017

A1 I don't have any experience shooting the 6Ar turbo but do have extensive experience with the 6AR in match competition at 600 yrds. My wife and I have been shooting the 6AR for the last 3 years. I looked at the 6AR Turbo/Fat Rat Improved versions of the 6AR and didn't go with it due to the expense of custom dies and barrels. The 6AR was so easy with a 6.5 Grendel bushing die/6PPC seater and barrels are easy to find, my 243LBC was 2 weeks from payment to my door. Another guy in our club went with the 6 Fat Rat which can shoot the 105 hybrids faster but it seems his brass isn't lasting long and scores aren't any higher than ours. We shoot the 95 Match Kings.

I switched over to the 6 Creedmoor Ar10 half way through the season and my scores didn't change. The only advantage to the 6CM was wind above 15 mph or so the 105 hybrids really shined with the extra velocity. I'm going back to the 6AR later this coming season after I finish wearing out the 6CM barrel.

I don't know what the case capacity of the 6BR is compared to the 6AR. I have a 6 Dasher on hand h2o is 42, 6AR h2o 37.2.
          PM me with any questions
          NRA Mid Range Tactical Prone High Master, NRA High Power Rifle Master, NRA F-Class Mid Range Expert, Master of the Stone

Comment

• A1Vixen
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2017

Thx for your answer.

What Gas bore diameter do you have?

Here in Europe it doesn't matter if I go with a 6AR, Turbo or 40imp.

Need to import everything and every barrel is custom.

That's why I choose the 40imp.
            And I will try to get the best velocity without killing the brasses and use the 105gr RDF.

If the Lapua brasses in 6AR have 37gr water capacity. How much has the Turbo40?
            I found datas for the 6mm Fat Rat and there was written 36-37gr water capacity.
            Now I'm a bit confused...

Every additional water capacity is good, so we will see.

Comment

• HomeSlice
              Unwashed
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by A1Vixen View Post
              Thx for your answer.

What Gas bore diameter do you have?

Here in Europe it doesn't matter if I go with a 6AR, Turbo or 40imp.

Need to import everything and every barrel is custom.

That's why I choose the 40imp.
              And I will try to get the best velocity without killing the brasses and use the 105gr RDF.

If the Lapua brasses in 6AR have 37gr water capacity. How much has the Turbo40?
              I found datas for the 6mm Fat Rat and there was written 36-37gr water capacity.
              Now I'm a bit confused...

Every additional water capacity is good, so we will see.

Comment

• A1Vixen
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2017

For the twist choice it is too late.
                I ordered a 1-8" Twist for the 105gr RDF.

Even if stagnates at the moment because of Covid-19 I hope to get the rifle in a month.
                All shooting ranges are closed at the moment.
                As soon as I have the rifle and the first experiences I will share them.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2020

Any update to this? This cartridge is interesting

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2011

we are developing a variation of this. we call it the 6mm Sukudo (japanese for speed) Its basically at 6mm Turbo 40 Improved. We just cant call it the same.
                    "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

Working...
                    X