• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Ha! Good one!

John
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Originally posted by cory View Post
      I'm not trying to knock anyone, but has been mentioned by Hanka, Grendel will likely get the blame for any problem child variants. With that in mind I'd suggest

6.5mm AR15 Wildcats

For me it's this one as the SAAMI spec is the only published/document Grendel. I would say any factory ammo loaded to this spec is Grendel Ammo.
      Cory's point is well-taken, but how would we fit the 6mm AR Turbo and the 20 Grendel into a thread with the title "6.5mm AR15 Wildcats"?

How about "Grendel Progeny" or "Grendel Descendants" or "Sons and Daughters of the Grendel" ???

This might keep things close to the spirit of the 65Grendel.com forum. (Gotta stop laughing!)

In a more serious vein, we do need to follow Cory's advice and create a title that invites discussion of alternative configurations but gives some separation from the parent cartridge.

Comment

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
        How about "Grendel Progeny" or "Grendel Descendants" or "Sons and Daughters of the Grendel" ???
        This is a good start. I, however, think that we should rule out some names from the start.
        I vote that we rule out "Bastard Children of Grendel."

Comment

Why didn't I think of that one?

I'll bet there are even more interesting possibilities, but, sadly, our fun has been spoiled by the implementation of the Grendel-Based Wildcats and Variants forum.

Comment

So......"Demon Spawn of the Grendel" is a no go?

Comment

I am sure that a truly good one -- especially one that evokes the right mixture of humor and serious intent -- might convince the chief forum guru to adjust the forum title. (I am a long way from being him).

"Demon spawn" hmmm... Did the Grendel of legend have any progeny?

Comment

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                I am sure that a truly good one -- especially one that evokes the right mixture of humor and serious intent -- might convince the chief forum guru to adjust the forum title. (I am a long way from being him).

"Demon spawn" hmmm... Did the Grendel of legend have any progeny?
                I don't think so. As I recall, Grendel and his mother were the only two.

Comment

I think you're right, so that angle is rather challenging.

Of course, we could always start a rumor that a few illegitimate offspring were indeed spawned....

Comment

• 96superflow
                    Unwashed
                    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                    The downside is confused consumers who throw up their hands and say, "I can't feed 6.5 Grendel factory ammo in this chamber! What's wrong with the 6.5 Grendel?" or "6.5 Grendel factory ammo shoots like crap in this chamber! What's wrong with the 6.5 Grendel?" You just know the 6.5 Grendel will be thrown under the bus and not the variant chamber. . . .

This is where I am currently. I have been doing research upon research trying to figure out which route would be better for me to go. I have a lead on a Blackhole Weaponry 18" Grendel I with upper receiver for $260 , and an unknown manufacturer (from Brownells) 18" Grendel II with bolt for $290. All the information keeps me questioning what I need. It will be used as a hunting rifle, and I don't need to shoot sub MOA groups just reliable groups. I will also be reloading for it as well. Then I am confused at what bolt I need with the Grendel I and Grendel II. If someone can clarify and help me out that would be greatly appreciated. For now I am going to be doing more research to see if I can straighten out the all this information....

Comment

• CrazyD
                      Unwashed
                      • Oct 2014

I was under this same dilemma 2 weeks ago. I bit the bullet and bought the AR Stoner barrel and bolt combo from Midway. Which is the Grendel II chamber. got it all together last week and took it to the range with both Hornady factory AMAX and SST ammo. both shot less then 1MOA groups right off the bat and will only get better with a better trigger, more trigger time, and handloads. feeding and extraction was not a issue either. The rifle performed flawlessly.

the reason I went this route instead of with Blackhole was because the bolt was included and the barrel was head spaced to that bolt so in my eyes there was chance of getting the wrong bolt with the wrong barrel and the headspace not working or the ammo not feeding/extracting correctly.

Comment

• 96superflow
                        Unwashed
                        • Oct 2014

That is what I was th ok thinking I would do because I can get an upper receiver any where. That is probably what I am going to stick with.

Comment

• am4966
                          Chieftain
                          • Jul 2014

I believe the brownells and AR Stoner barrel come the same place. You have more barrel options with the Midway barrel, but if you spend 300.00 at brownells you get 50.00 off. The both come with bolts.
                          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• LR1955
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by 96superflow View Post
                            This is where I am currently. I have been doing research upon research trying to figure out which route would be better for me to go. I have a lead on a Blackhole Weaponry 18" Grendel I with upper receiver for $260 , and an unknown manufacturer (from Brownells) 18" Grendel II with bolt for $290. All the information keeps me questioning what I need. It will be used as a hunting rifle, and I don't need to shoot sub MOA groups just reliable groups. I will also be reloading for it as well. Then I am confused at what bolt I need with the Grendel I and Grendel II. If someone can clarify and help me out that would be greatly appreciated. For now I am going to be doing more research to see if I can straighten out the all this information....
                            This Grendel I and II is an invention that leads to confusion. I believe what guys are calling a Grendel I uses a 7.62 X 39 bolt and the II uses the same bolt but with the bolt face a bit deeper -- which is the design Alexander ended up using as a Grendel bolt.

Either one takes any commercial Grendel ammunition. I have both and you won't notice any difference between the two. Some say the 7.62 X 39 bolt won't last as long but if you buy a decent one, it will last just as long.

You won't find differences in accuracy or reliability between the two providing the barrel is cut properly. Obviously, since the bolt face on the 7.62 X 39 bolt is farther out than the Grendel bolt, the chamber needs to be cut a bit deeper. Which is why barrel makers want to know what type of bolt you are using.

LR1955

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

They're talking about another level of confusion added by PTG, calling their chamber a "Grendel II", which has a .300 neck, and a parallel throat, not compound like the SAAMI. I think it really is a result of barrel makers not wanting to worry about reamer sharpening and tolerances so much. Holding to standards is hard, and besides, it requires measurement equipment they don't have, and will never buy anyway, as long as they just trust the reamer maker to get it right.

I don't think most consumers will care or notice anyway. The more barrels being made that eat factory ammo reliably, the better.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 96superflow
                                Unwashed
                                • Oct 2014

Alright guys. I was thinking that it had something to do with the chambers and the .295 vs .300 neck. I was considering the .295 neck because I could (in theory) get more reloads out of the brass I was using. This is something very minuscule and I think I will go with the brownells barrel and bolt combo just so I know both are matched. I will eventually like to know what bolt I have so that I can have a backup (though I doubt anything will ever happen).

I have really just been bitten by the grendel bug and really like what the cartridge has to offer.

Comment

Working...
                                X