• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AngryStomper
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2017

Looking for a good muzzle device

The title says it all! I'm building my first Grendel AR, and I'm looking for something nice to put on the end of my barrel. What are some forum favorites?

Thanks in advance!
  • BCHunter
    Warrior
    • Jan 2018

The gamma vg6.5 is popular, and has good reviews in many places. What are you trying to accomplish?
    Brake less recoil
    Compensator less muzzle rise
    Flash hider
    Suppressor?

Comment

• AngryStomper
      Unwashed
      • Aug 2017

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, honestly. My knowledge of muzzle devices is low, though I've been trying to read new material every day to educate myself. I plan on using this AR at a bench for distance shooting (the longest range I have available to me is 400 yards at the moment). Any recommendations on what I should be looking for as far as choosing between less recoil, less muzzle rise, or flash reduction? I don't have any immediate plans on filling out paperwork for a suppressor, so I can take that option off the list for now. Sorry I'm so unknowledgeable on the subject-- I'm hoping to use this as a learning experience as well as an opportunity to get some good advice!

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

The VG6 Gamma 6.5 does it all pretty well and is by far the best value out there - I think I paid $65 for the last one I got. I have a few of them and also the 556 version on a 5.56. For distance shooting limiting muzzle movement should be the priority so you can maintain your sight picture and self spot your shots and have faster follow ups. Reducing recoil is nice, but is really more of a perk unless your ultra recoil sensitive, especially with grendel. There are also other ways to reduce felt recoil if the budget allows.

JP compensators also work really well and I've been really impressed with both the limited muzzle movement and recoil reduction from the Seekins ATC muzzle brake I have on my 6.5 CM.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

VG 6.5, also the voodoo innovations 6.5 (or even the 7.62 in this one). I have both - they work well. And both rate very well in studies, PRS blog and TTAG...
          Both of these accomplish recoil reduction and less muzzle rise. Not too pricey either.
          Everyone swears by the one they got, testimonial-wise, but I looked for some objective results upon which to base my decisions...
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Popeye212
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2018

I bought the Gamma V65 also. Based on reviews

Comment

• Lastrites
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

Went cheap on one, the Strike Ind. J-Comp II for the $35 it works well enough for me and was rated the best value per dollar by TTAG study. Also have a Griffin tapered flash comp that works well and doesn't seem too blasty, the VG Gammas as mentioned are nice as well with good performance for what they cost.

Comment

• 1Shot
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

Go to YouTube and look for muzzle device reviews. From watching these the conclusion is that most of the breaks reduce recoil about the same as well as muzzle rise there are a few exceptions that do just a little different. The biggest difference between them is how much muzzle blast is directed back toward you or to the side. It is not too pleasant to be trying to shoot from the bench next to someone with a muzzle device that sends a bunch of blast your way. But again it is not very pleasant to be hunting and not have time to get hearing protection in place and shoot with most any of the breaks, they will deafen you. That is the reason that I went with the Kaw Valley Linear Comp. It may reduce recoil and muzzle rise a little, but the Gerr does not have that much anyway, but it sure does push the muzzle blast down range away from you. But I am mainly hunter. I guess you can say "Different strokes for different folks."

Comment

• AZHTfreak
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2017

Primarily due to the TTAG tests (now 2-3 yrs old), I run Strike Ind. J-comps, King comps (excellent recoil reduction/$), & VG6 Gamma 65s (~$40 on sale) on my 16"+ barrels, & Midwest Ind. PBD blast diverters (~$30) on my 5.56 & Grrr pistols...
                  Last edited by AZHTfreak; 04-13-2018, 09:39 PM.
                  DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• DontWorryScro
                    Unwashed
                    • Jan 2018

So do Grendels need MDs? Building a bench 6.5G on an AR-15 platform and wondering if I even need one.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                      Chieftain
                      • Oct 2016

Need? Absolutely not. I’d definitely be getting a thread protector if not using a device of another flavor though. Unless you’re going to get a non threaded barrel.
                      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• DontWorryScro
                        Unwashed
                        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                        Need? Absolutely not. I’d definitely be getting a thread protector if not using a device of another flavor though. Unless you’re going to get a non threaded barrel.
                        ya was considering just going target crown on a heavy or semi bull

Comment

• Hansel&Grendel
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by AngryStomper View Post
                          The title says it all! I'm building my first Grendel AR, and I'm looking for something nice to put on the end of my barrel. What are some forum favorites?

Thanks in advance!
                          As 1Shot said, I use the Kaw Valley Linear Comp (less than $40) on my 6.5G 11.5 SBR. I'm pleasantly surprised at how little, if any, gas gets blown back and the lack of teeth rattling that non-suppressed SBRs are sometimes noted for. The muzzle blast is directed forward. I often shoot at an indoor range and have yet to notice anyone visibly uncomfortable or hear anyone comment about the SBR muzzle blast. Second and third shots are quick as there is push-back into the shoulder and not so much muzzle flip. However, I also use a SLR Rifleworks adjustable gas block set at position 6 from closed. Lastly, I have a Law Tactical Folding Stock Adapter that makes discrete carry in a small duffel bag quite easy (nothing to do with recoil but a bonus comment ).

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

OP: What barrel length do you have? That's going to determine what I would recommend when considering brakes, if you want a brake.

6.5 Grendel doesn't need a brake, but benefits from them if all you're doing is target shooting.

Most of my builds have just used an A2 comp with the larger thread pattern compared to 5.56 A2 comps.

Some of the devices that stick out for me:

Precision Firearms MLD
                            LaRue TranQulio (TranQuilo suppressor attaches to it)
                            ThunderBeast Brake Attach brake for their cans
                            Dead Air Keymount brake (another brake attach suppressor mount)

The LaRue TranQuilo and Dead Air Keymount perform and look very similar to each other. They mitigate muzzle rise without being obnoxious to bystanders.

The PF and TBAC brakes mitigate recoil and muzzle climb exceptionally well, with added left-right concussion from the large gill approach used on them.

The TBAC brake is the smallest, shortest.

The PF MLD has a unique counter-rotational feature to it.

Both of my 22" Grendel's don't have any muzzle devices on them.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• AustinTom
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2018

I'm running a JEC brake on my heavy barreled Grendel. Next one will be a Little B*stard brake, mainly because JEC is out of business. I'm a fan of those fishgill brakes, they cut the recoil to nothing on everything I've put them on.

Comment

Working...
                              X