• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zeus
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2018

As requested DIY smart phone camera mount for rifle scope

Now don't laugh fella's....it may look clunky and unsightly but it works well and is pretty stable as far as I can tell.....haven't actually shot with it yet but everything lines up with the scope and initial testing shows that it will work just fine.

Here are the materials that I used.....the plumbing stuff came from Lowe's and the cheap phone case came from Wal-mart.

1 - Cheap rubber cell phone case (one with a surface that can be taped (or glued I suppose)....I scuffed up the back of the rubber one that I used)

1 - Piece of lighter weight 1/2" wood (I think I used pine) cut to the same dimensions as the cell phone case

1 - 1 1/4" to 1 1/4" drain pipe to drain pipe coupling

1 - 1 1/4" PVC plug (flat)

1 - 1 1/2" Banded hose clamp rubber coupling (I bought it just for the banded hose clamp and didn't use the rubber insert)

4 - #6 x 1" wood screws (make sure they are small enough to fit into the sides (edge) of the plug without splitting it after the pilot holes are drilled but long enough to go through both parts to ensure a good bond)

1. Mark the chunk of wood where the center of the camera lens will be...(Add a little extra space to the top....say 1/2" to 3/4".....so you can have plenty of room to mount the plug)

2. Center the plug over the camera lens hole.

(I did step 5 before I did step 3 but I think it would be easier to do in this order before the big hole is drilled....you can do whatever you think will be the easiest for you.....but you gotta be careful when using the wood bit not to hit the screws if you chose to do step 3 first)

3. Drill 4 pilot holes into the piece of wood and *sides* of the PVC plug to screw the #6 screws into them to fasten the two parts together (*this is a fiddly part because the sides of the plug are pretty thin*).....I screwed a plug up getting this right so take your time and measure three times......clamping the plug and wood together helps but the clamp needs to be small enough to drill around.

4. Screw the wood and plug together.....you want the screws countersunk so they don't interfere with your phone and case.

5. Using a 1" wood bit drill a hole through the center of the PVC plug all the way through it and the board. (the hole doesn't look round but it is.....mounting the phone case with the camera centered covered up part of the 1" hole)

6. Fasten the phone case so that the camera lens hole is centered above the hole in the plug and the board....I had my phone in the case while lining it up to make sure the lens had an unobstructed view through the hole.....I used double-sided tape for this and it worked very well.

7. Remove 1 hose clamp from the 1 1/4" to 1 1/4" drain pipe connector.

8. Remove the rubber piece from inside the banded hose clamp so you just have the band with the hose clamps.

9. Slip the banded hose clamp over the drain pipe connector.....this will give you 3 places to tighten the contraption.

10. Slip the assembled banded hose clamp and drain pipe connector over the 1 1/4" drain plug that is attached to the piece of wood and phone case.....it should be a snug fit.

11. Snug up the hose clamp on the plug

12. Slide the other side over the eye piece of your scope.....You can move this back and forth depending on your eye relief and snug it down with the other 2 hose clamps when you have it positioned correctly.......The middle hose clamp is mainly used to keep everything lined up so that the rubber coupling doesn't sag causing the camera lens to be off center....it doesn't need to be tight...just snug enough to hold everything in-line.

There's the short and sweet of it.....I'll be glad to answer some questions if I can.....Keep in mind that I just made this up on the fly based on what I could find on the internet.

I can only attach 4 pictures to one post.....I'll reply with the completed product.
    Last edited by Zeus; 04-28-2018, 01:59 AM.
  • Zeus
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2018

It should look something like this.....(of course it will look slightly different if you used slightly different parts)

Comment

• Zeus
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2018

I should also mention that I put a couple beads of wood glue around the edge of the PVC plug where it meets the wood. The screws were holding very well but I wanted some extra insurance to make it even stronger.

Comment

• Zeus
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2018

The mount can be adjusted to hold the phone in landscape......

....or portrait

Here's an example at 6.5x on the scope (I didn't adjust the mount to fill the screen I just put it on to get a few pics).....Excuse the canted cross hairs....just some quick pics so you guys get an idea of what it can do.

....and 2x zoom on the cell phone camera.....(no adjustment to the scope power)

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

This might be interesting!!!
          How does it perform during the shot?
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Zeus
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2018

Haven't had a chance to test it in action yet GF......Maybe tomorrow. We'll see how it works on my 223 AR and then go from there. I've seen videos with cameras mounted on guns that recoil a bit and it's tough to see the outcome because it jerks the scope off target. My bench rifles weigh quite a bit so that might help some with the larger calibers......

Another problem folks have with some of the other camera mounts that I've seen is that they aren't sturdy enough and sag slightly or the fasteners come loose under the weight of the camera/mount and/or the recoil impulse. If you get off center even a little it ruins the video. The mount I made up has the ability to adjust how well it is "welded" to the ocular lens.....that's why I used the banded hose clamps.....it stiffens up the rubber pipe coupling rather well. The only problem is that once the hose clamps are tight around the lens you can't adjust it at all without moving the focus piece too.....but I can live with that.....just gotta pay attention to what's going on when you're messing around with it.

I'm eager to test it out.....hopefully I'll have a decent experience with this thing. I'd hate to have wasted all that time thinking it up and building it only to have it fail miserably!

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

Tagged for followup.

We need a DIY section on this forum - Only for threads that have been proven effective and moved over there.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Zeus
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2018

Finally got around to trying out my adapter. I think that once I get this thing figured out it will work just as well as the more expensive units....probably better.

The camera was affixed to my Savage BVSS 223 Ackley carrying a Leupold 6.5x20 with a target dot. I should have shot off my front rest instead of a bi-pod....that would have kept the rifle from recoiling as much.

I need to make a few changes because it gets in the way of the bolt on my bolt action rifles.....no big deal though...it will be a simple fix. With a little practice this'll be a great little toy to mess around with during less serious shooting endeavors.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Looks like you're getting there!
                  Now here's an idea... a bluetooth eyepiece, hook it on to the scope, it projects to the smartphone screen.
                  No idea if that is even possible but it sounds cool.
                  Wait! I just looked up the gopro and this would be a gopro for shooting!!
                  Sort of a 21st century concept of the army prism sight in that other thread.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

From
                    Everybody has heard about it, but what is a GoPro? Here's what sets it apart from other action cameras on the market.

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                      Looks like you're getting there!
                      Now here's an idea... a bluetooth eyepiece, hook it on to the scope, it projects to the smartphone screen.
                      No idea if that is even possible but it sounds cool.
                      Wait! I just looked up the gopro and this would be a gopro for shooting!!
                      Sort of a 21st century concept of the army prism sight in that other thread.
                      Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                      From
                      https://www.digitaltrends.com/photog...action-camera/
                      GoPros can be used as standalone cameras, but thanks to a great mobile app, they also pair perfectly with Android and iOS devices, allowing you to add more functionality and versatility. Using built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, users gain full control over their GoPro camera and can even display a live feed of what’s being captured right on their mobile device.
                      I am betting the next generation of scope will be all digital, no more paralax issues, as you will be looking at a miniature monitor through the eye piece.
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                      X