• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

TargetVision - LR2...WOW

So with my Tax return, in addition to Labradar, I picked up a TargetVision LR2 system. Camera, receiver, two short tripods, excellent pelican type case with moulded foam.

I tested it yesterday at work...Damn. 300 yards with just the camera alone transmitting to my phone, and then I turned on the receiver and got to .7 mile and lost connection, and the camera was no longer in line of sight, I had crested a hill and there was a water truck between me and the camera. I have little doubt I would get the full mile. Way more than I need. In retrospect the marksman version that would do the 300 yards would have been plenty, but I am so used to mfgs stating a spec in ideal conditions and finding out in real world that it is closer to 60% of claimed spec. 300 was my minimum and I did not want to find out it would only do 200 +/-.

Little pricey, but if you want to punch holes in paper and not stop and take a drive or long walk to see the results, this is the real deal. Claimed running time of 12 hours. More than enough even at half of that.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Nice system. I've always appreciated the utility of the system when working up Ladders or OCW tests. It really shines with ladders, though, because you can accurately ID exactly which shot/load went where.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
      Nice system. I've always appreciated the utility of the system when working up Ladders or OCW tests. It really shines with ladders, though, because you can accurately ID exactly which shot/load went where.
      Really looking forward to putting it to work.

Crap side to all this is that I live in an apartment complex...section 8 complex to add insult to injury.

When I go shooting it's like I am moving. At least 2 rifle cases, range bag, shooting mat, chronograph, camera system, food and drink...several trips back and forth to the apartment and parking lot. Set up at the range (keep the target stands in my truck) takes north of 45 minutes. Even more if I take the GF and her daughters.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
        Chieftain
        • Oct 2016

Haha! The dilemma isn’t mine alone, good to know! I feel your pain, sometimes I think we over gear our outings, but I can never decide what to leave behind. I usually have too many options, try to get through everything, and the occasion winds up a poorer exude it. I’ve started taking one firearm to fix this, and usually spend more time getting set up than I spend shooting. Sad sad world.
        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• BCHunter
          Warrior
          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
          Really looking forward to putting it to work.

Crap side to all this is that I live in an apartment complex...section 8 complex to add insult to injury.

When I go shooting it's like I am moving. At least 2 rifle cases, range bag, shooting mat, chronograph, camera system, food and drink...several trips back and forth to the apartment and parking lot. Set up at the range (keep the target stands in my truck) takes north of 45 minutes. Even more if I take the GF and her daughters.
          LOL , I often wonder what the neighbors think, my nearest range is hour away, so I have to make it worth the drive, range bag, ammo cans, sand bags, chrono, usually at least 4 guns, range tool box, targets. Beverages lunch feels like I'm packing for weekend trip. Worse thing I ever did was forget the bolt on my precision rifle, fits in safe better when removed get to range setup pull out the rifle and ohh, no not doing any load tests with that rifle!

Comment

• Brett
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2017

Originally posted by BCHunter View Post
            Worse thing I ever did was forget the bolt on my precision rifle, fits in safe better when removed get to range setup pull out the rifle and ohh, no not doing any load tests with that rifle!
            I feel your pain. About a month ago, I got all set up at the range(an hour and 15min. away), was ready to load a magazine and realized I left the ammo on the reloading bench.

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Brett View Post
              I feel your pain. About a month ago, I got all set up at the range(an hour and 15min. away), was ready to load a magazine and realized I left the ammo on the reloading bench.
              LOL. Yup. Been there. Done that. Also got to the range (90 minutes away) to discover I left magazines / front rest / rear bag / targets etc.). It pays to have a check list in your range bag.

As as far as what the neighbors think, they are ignorant about my range trips, as I have the luxury of loading the truck while parked in the garage. (Not to rub the apartment dwellers noses in it, mind you.) I can save a lot of time by loading all but the weapons the night before. This has bitten me only once, when I needed to go to the local Walgreens for some cough syrup after I’d loaded the truck and had nobody to ride along to watch the gear in the bed.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

Soooo.

TargetVision has a design flaw with their case.

It's a nice case, and custom cut hard foam to protect the camera and transmitter. Problem is that the lid foam is flat, ergo when the lid is closed and the case is in transport or moved around...the switches on the units get hit, thus turning them on.

Much to my irritation I got to the range finally and the damn things were turned on and batteries dead. (#$%&#(*$&)#!!!!!

Already sent a suggestion to TargetVision. I now need to modify my case so this does not happen again. Nevermind that I should have checked them the night before, but darn it, They were just fully charged and only tested for a whopping 15 minutes of their estimated 10 hour run time between charges. Been sitting in my closet for the whopping 15 days since they were tested. Lesson learned.

Next time.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Finally got to the range with it, batteries charged (last run they were dead - design flaw in the case). Set it up to view my 200y target so I could map out my ladder test impacts.

Learning curve. I should have played with it at home a little better, my results would have been easier.

Awesome little unit. Battery lasted 12 hours on the Camera (left it on to drain it down) and the booster transmitter was coming up on 24 when I plugged it in.

Wish I had some pictures or video to post, but like I said, learning curve.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Popeye212
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2018

When you said design flaw first thing I thought of was ...Bullet proof.

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

I had the resolution and refresh rate set too high (don't know if this is an app issue) but would not take pictures, and I found out when I was packing up how to take video. The phone App is not that intuitive. Probably should have read the destructions again. It's been 5 months.
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• brian y
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2016

Hey Sticks, Have you had the LR2 out again and if so how is it working?, They have a 15% off sale running right now and i am interested in one, Brian
                        NRA Endowment Member, GOA Life Member, FPC Member, VDL Member

Comment

• Sticks
                          Chieftain
                          • Dec 2016

I've had it out a couple more times.

Figured out that it won't take pictures with the setting on High, only low. Video is video of the screen on your phone or tablet, so you can zoom in and it will record the zoom view.

My phone and Tablet have a hard time picking up the WiFi from prone, so I have to use the repeater even at 100 - not unexpected. I used it at 780 a few weeks ago, and it was nice to be able to take a pic, move that over to Range Buddy, and get a MOA and distance from center/POA to true up my ballistics app from my shooting position.

I do say that it is worth the money. The App could use some refinement, and camera settings like brightness, but for what it does....awesome.
                          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Keef
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2017

Is it still working good for you? My fields are picked here so I can do some LR shooting again and thinking about one.

[QUOTE=Sticks;194465]
                            [QUOTE]
                            LEO?

Comment

• Sticks
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2016

Yup. Works great. I am going to get a second charger so I can charge both at once (takes quite a while to charge one). I wish the app would show a battery level. Probably could get 2 - 5 hour range sessions out of one charge without worry. Just don't know how much you loose in storage.

My housing situation is going to be changing in the next month or two. It will be nice to load up without an entire neighborhood watching.
                              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                              X