• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
    Ok a lil more Intel on these mags.

I had wrote a very lengthy email to cpd last night about the two mags I had problems with and that I had ordered the same grendel mag from joebobs last night and was looking for a 28 round x39 mag to order to compare the two.

They asked that when I get the mag from joebobs in the mail to send it to them because they feel it was a missed labeled x39 mag joebobs was selling.

And believe that the mags I had got at the local gun shop was part of a batch that was missed labeled as 28 rounders that are infact 26 rounders and had also been miss labeled as grendel when they were intact x39 mags.

They said the two mags look almost identical but the geometry and follower in the mags were diffrent.

They said they want the mag I bought at joebobs last night and in return will send me two mags to replace it.

I told them ok and will follow through with it and see what happens, so look for more info in the coming days when I get the mags from cpd home office.
    That makes more sense. When I spoke with them, they said that one of their engineers had been doing a lot of testing and work on refining the Grendel mags.

It would be nice for one of us to do a mag comparison video sometime with a proven-reliable set of rifles and carbines.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      That makes more sense. When I spoke with them, they said that one of their engineers had been doing a lot of testing and work on refining the Grendel mags.

It would be nice for one of us to do a mag comparison video sometime with a proven-reliable set of rifles and carbines.
      That would be a interesting set of test to see.

I wish I could do them but that is a bit much for me to pull off, heck I'm spread thin as it is now with purchasing those mags and having to replace all that ammo.

I would think you would be the best man for the test, your knowledge of setting up ar's for proper function is well above most others from reading your post on here and other places.

Edit to add this.

I noticed when searching the web for the 28 round x39 mag no-one has any in stock and seems to be out of stock for awhile as must places say no backorder on that item.

I'm wondering if they discontinued the 28 round x39 mag, I find the 20 and 30 rounders in stock.

Maybe they had this issue before and dropped the x39 mag due to simplicity and reduce the chance of miss labeled or miss assembled mags between the two calibers.

Will see how things go when the new mags arrive, if they still don't work it's cool I have elanders and asc mags that are good to go.

I still feel the design of the follower so that the spring is not attached to it is a flaw and a function issue waiting to happen, i had stated that in my email to cpd and the gentleman that replyed spoke of all the issues I listed but that one.
      Last edited by A5BLASTER; 07-25-2018, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Ok lil update for yall.

Got the cpd mag from joebobs around noon today. Took it out the pack and went to checking it out.

Same issues as the other two mags but honestly not as bad, could get it to feed 9 to 10 rounds before it would jam a round into the extension feed ramps.

So I was like heck on this let's get to tweakin.

First thing I did was tweak the ejection side feed lip and bam 26 rounds feed perfectly 10 times in a row as fast as I could cycle the sidecharging handle on my upper.

So on too mod number two.

I bent up two of the floor plate hooks so I could insert a asc follower and gen 3 pmag spring from a 20 round pmag.

Ba bam still perfect function throw the action by hand as fast as I could run it.

The asc follower had a much better fit inside the mag, it doesn't flop from side to side like the one that comes with it and it flows much smoother throw the heavy curved area of the mag.

So I went out to the waters edge in my back yard and ran it dry 5 times as fast as I could fire the rifle without a malfuction.

Took it back inside and wrote the gentleman from cpd I had spoke too and told him I had highly modified the mag and it was working fine and would be keeping it.

Time will tell if I should have leavt it be and sent it in.

As of right now it works, but it is highly modified to work.

May buy anouther to see if it will run as built and if not send that one too cpd to be inspected.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Interesting mods!

They should take you on as a testing consultant.

Maybe get their big mags fixed right the first time.

I haven't seen any of this since I stick with the 10 rounders...
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
            Interesting mods!

They should take you on as a testing consultant.

Maybe get their big mags fixed right the first time.

I haven't seen any of this since I stick with the 10 rounders...
            I can't help myself sometimes if I have something that dosent work I like to fix it myself.

The cpd mag has a butt ton more curve then a elander that for sure.

Comment

Working...
            X