NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• centerfire
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

I had first round hits on IPSC sized targets at 1400yd and 1200yd, with angle and wind, last weekend and my scope never went over 12X. In four days of shooting from 100 to 1500 yards I only used magnification over 12X to check zero at 100 yards. I shot a similar course last year at the same place and only used 10X for the Grendel. I also used a 3X range finder to spot with from my tripod so I wouldn't have to carry a spotter.

I have 30X scopes and I only ever use them turned up to shoot groups on paper during load development.

Comment

• bamban
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2020

March came up with a compact 1.5x15x42. It should be perfect all around mid range optics. May need a 20 MOA mount for long range application

If 1-10 is plenty for your needs, this new innovative dual reticle is ingenious. One reticle holds constant size illuminated dot in the 2nd focal plane. Another reticle in the 1st focal plane adjust the ranging reticle with power setting. The 2 reticles are superimposed on each other.

Last edited by bamban; 10-27-2020, 08:39 AM.
        USAF 1972-1978
        Distinguished Rifleman Badge 1234
        P100, High Master - XC, LR

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bamban View Post
          March came up with a compact 1.5x15x42. It should be perfect all around mid range optics. May need a 20 MOA mount for long range application
          Isn't that an interesting innovation.

That scope is slightly shorter than the March 2.5-25x42 but pretty much the same weight. It only comes in MOA turrets. They will probably include Mils like they have in the past when demand from the dealers builds up. I'm thinking you might not notice the difference between 1.5 and 2.5 unless the target is really close, like inside a building. But the dual reticle sure is interesting. What do you think?

Comment

• bamban
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Klem View Post
            Isn't that an interesting innovation.

That scope is slightly shorter than the March 2.5-25x42 but pretty much the same weight. It only comes in MOA turrets. They will probably include Mils like they have in the past when demand from the dealers builds up. I'm thinking you might not notice the difference between 1.5 and 2.5 unless the target is really close, like inside a building. But the dual reticle sure is interesting. What do you think?
            There is a mil version

D15V42IML | MARCH Scopes | DEON Optical Design Corporation

The dual reticle will be nice one, ranging capability with a fix red dot. That shorty platform in the 1-8 first focal plane only, was adapted by the Japanese military as their standard optics. I won't be surprised if they change to that new 1-10 dual plane. I have the 2.5x10 Vortex PST on my suppressed MK12 SPR, I may spring for this new 1-10 or the 1.5x15 for it, and move the PST to the Grendel. The 5.5x22x56 NXS on it is just too dang heavy. Have to admit that 1-10 is kind of cute.
            Last edited by bamban; 10-27-2020, 09:36 AM.
            USAF 1972-1978

Comment

• Bigs28
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2016

I have 2 March optics and unless they make their illumination better i won't buy another. The glass, turrets, reticles are amazing but the illumination is a joke.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
                I have 2 March optics and unless they make their illumination better i won't buy another. The glass, turrets, reticles are amazing but the illumination is a joke.
                What are you talking about specifically? Are your March scopes low or high range illum?

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

I have the 1-10x24 and the 1-8x24 shorty. If it's not dark out you can't even tell it's on. When you do turn it on first thing in the morning on the highest setting it will automatically change to the dimmest setting after a couple of minutes. The illumination is worthless and a complete joke. They should not be happy with selling it to be honest.

Comment

• bamban
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jun 2020

I have the 1-10x24 and the 1-8x24 shorty. If it's not dark out you can't even tell it's on. When you do turn it on first thing in the morning on the highest setting it will automatically change to the dimmest setting after a couple of minutes. The illumination is worthless and a complete joke. They should not be happy with selling it to be honest.
                    If it's ok with you, I will copy and paste this as is and send it to my contact at DEON and see what they have to say. I will post their response here with no redaction.
                    USAF 1972-1978

Comment

• Bigs28
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2016

That's fine with me

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Sorry to hear it.

I don't have those scopes but have a couple of the larger and the illum works fine. I had a choice of low or high range illum and chose low range.

I had to return the 3-24x42FFP as the parallax wouldn't resolve at long range, it maxed out at about 400M. It was returned to Japan by the retailer and on return there was a letter from the senior Deon guy apologising and saying it was fixed. It will now resolve to distance but still there is almost no travel on the dial between 400 and infinity. My other March scope is more gradual.

I heard from another March dealer that there were a few too many issues with parallax not coinciding with focus however both are fine on mine. Nightforce has moved up in the 'best scope' space in my part of the world, but so has their prices. March scope glass is very clear, but so is NF, and no doubt other top end scopes.

I still recommend them for the 10x zoom ratio, clear glass, weight/compactness and repeatability but these little issues I keep hearing about don't help.
                        Last edited by Klem; 10-27-2020, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• Bigs28
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2016

Yeah i actually sold my nf nx8 to get the shorty and regret it. I listed the shorty for sale for a little while but felt guilty that i was robbing people selling it. I told every person that inquired that the nx8 was a better optic and $500 less. The inquiry obviously ended but i didn't want to screw anyone or have them as dissatisfied as me with it. The 1-10x24 is a really nice optic. Even though the illumination is worthless the rest of the optic is great. I will keep that one forever. The shorty was moved to my Smith and Wesson m&p 15/22 and i use it at the rimfire gallery shooting 22lr at steel 25 yards away.

Comment

• bamban
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jun 2020

I fired off the email to DEON, they should be at work by now.
                            USAF 1972-1978

Comment

• SCRhino
                              Bloodstained
                              • Sep 2020

I have the swfa 3-15 on my grendel currently stays on 3 most of the time for deer etc but it's nice to crank it up when things get tiny or far away.

Comment

• bamban
                                Bloodstained
                                • Jun 2020

Yeah i actually sold my nf nx8 to get the shorty and regret it. I listed the shorty for sale for a little while but felt guilty that i was robbing people selling it. I told every person that inquired that the nx8 was a better optic and $500 less. The inquiry obviously ended but i didn't want to screw anyone or have them as dissatisfied as me with it. The 1-10x24 is a really nice optic. Even though the illumination is worthless the rest of the optic is great. I will keep that one forever. The shorty was moved to my Smith and Wesson m&p 15/22 and i use it at the rimfire gallery shooting 22lr at steel 25 yards away.
                                The answer from March. They addressed the dimming reticle. In their own words you can read which scopes they call daylight bright. It looks like the new double plane reticle 1-10 is daylight bright. On yours maybe two 2016s instead of the single 2032 might pump the brightness by doubling the voltage. Have not tried that and the idea did not come from them. It is just a thought.

"Hi Nez-san,

We truly appreciate your effort.

We think that his battery is dying or the illumination cover is loose. What he is saying should not happen. Can you advise him to change to a new battery and fastenly tighten the cover?

There are 3 daylight bright illuminated reticles. They are all flash dot reticles.
                                FFP : DR-1 reticle (in 1-10x24)
                                SFP : FD-1 and FD-2 (in 1-4x24, 1-10x24, 2.5-25x42, 2.5-25x52)

So unless this customer chose flash dot reticles,
                                unfortunately the illumination is not daylight bright.
                                Please ask me if you have any other questions.

Thank you !"
                                Last edited by bamban; 10-28-2020, 10:14 AM.
                                USAF 1972-1978

Comment

Working...
                                X