anyone ever tap a 1/2-28 thread flash hider to 9/16-24?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone ever tap a 1/2-28 thread flash hider to 9/16-24?

After looking all over for a decent priced flash hider I decided I would just buy a AR15 A2 flash hider for $8 and have it tapped to 9/16-24. I called several local machine shops here in southeast MO and no one had the 9/16-24 tap so I ordered one for $17. Its probably a cheapo tap but i hope it works at least once. I just couldn't justify spending $50 to 80 bucks on a flash hider when AR15 flash hiders are under 10 bucks.

I plan to drill the A2 threads out on the lathe and then put the tap in the tailstock and thread it by hand with the lathe in neutral. anyone done this? If it works and the cheapo tap holds up I may make a few more and sell em for $20 bucks or so to recoup the cost of the tap and shipping. I probably should have looked around for a better tap. Im not a machinist so i don't know that much about 'em. I checked the tracking on it and it is in China right now with a month delivery time....sheez!..I didn't know that when i ordered the dang thing.
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Have you tried your local autoparts store? They'd likely have one for sale.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• tackdriver
      Warrior
      • Feb 2013

Good luck, if you take a hider w/ 1/2-28 and drill out the old threads completely the you will probably already be to big. If you go just big enough (9/16) you will still have leftover threads that will likely want to catch on the tap resulting it boogered up threads that will want to cross thread and cock side ways. I am not a machinist by any means and wish you the best of luck. I just wouldn't take a chance on screwing up the threads on my barrel due to an experiment!

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

AA sells A2 flash hiders threaded 9/16x24 for $16.50 on link above.
        Drifter

Comment

Tackdriver...well thats why i wanted to tap the flash hider, its only $8...if its a failure I'm not out that much....I'll keep that in mind to screw it on slow. the stainelss barrel hopefully will be harder than the steel flash hider...hopefully won't mess up. If it doesn't screw on straight going slow Ill scrap it.

Cory...I never checked the local autoparts store...maybe i should have...but if the machine shops didn't have it, I figured no one else would.

I was planning on splurging with a $45 stainless flash hider from mark hostetter precision firearms business but they are sold out every time i log on..I'm a tight wad....my ex wife gets 25% of my check and I pay all the health insurance on my two kiddos on top of that lol...so i like to find a bargain if you know what I mean....dollars are hard to come by....sometimes its a pain...but winter time means a little more time on my hands if it takes a little longer to save a buck.
          Last edited by Guest; 01-08-2014, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Drifter...that's the kind of price i was looking for...although the shipping is nearly as much as the flash hider. 14.50. If my attempt to make my own fails I'll probably order one of these...I was on Alexanders web page at one time before christmas and i thought it said all items subject to backorder so I didn't look any farther.

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by hydrotech View Post
              Drifter...that's the kind of price i was looking for...although the shipping is nearly as much as the flash hider. 14.50. If my attempt to make my own fails I'll probably order one of these...I was on Alexanders web page at one time before christmas and i thought it said all items subject to backorder so I didn't look any farther.
              Call them to verify it is in stock and then place the order while you are talking to them.

Comment

Originally posted by cory View Post
                http://www.amazon.com/Qualtech-DWTST...=9%2F16-24+tap

Have you tried your local autoparts store? They'd likely have one for sale.

Corey I think that's the one i ordered off amazon thinking it was a USA company...not realizing it was coming from china.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2012

another option would be to call yhm and order one they offer 9/16x24 in their qd mounts so the should be able to make you a regular flash hider with those threads and unless you have a lathe opening up the 1/2-28 probably will not go well
                  Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

i have a buddy with a lathe to drill it out....did not have a tap that size tho
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-08-2014, 09:44 PM.

Comment

• wheelguner
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2011

I have two lessons learned the hard way printed and posted on the wall of my shop.

1.Life is a harsh teacher.... it gives the test before the lesson!!!!
                      2.You want to know how to make something expensive? First try to do it cheaply.

Comment

If it works it'll be awesome...if it doesn't I ruined and 8 dollar flash hider...more of an experiment I guess..I'm surprised no one has chimed in that they tried this before and what experience they had doing it. No experimenters out there?

Comment

I know machinists bits have a size and more specifically a letter designation. The letter of the bit to use would be helpful to know

Comment

• Sojorboy
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2011

Maybe this will help http://www.physics.ncsu.edu/pearl/Tap_Drill_Chart.html

Looks like for 9/16 x 24 you need a drill bit 17/32
                            Last edited by Sojorboy; 01-09-2014, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Ahh thanks for the link sojorboy

Comment

Working...
                              X