• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slappy
    Warrior
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by howl View Post
    My goal was an under seven pounds rig with 20" barrel. I went AR because the user's acidic chemistry rusts regular blued rifles. The price needed to be the same or less than a Howa Mini sent out for QPQ, etc. My total cost on the AR is about $750 according to the spreadsheet. Total weight loaded is under seven pounds. The only boutique parts are the Smoke Composites barrel nut and no-name carbon fiber tube for the handguard. I'm enough under weight that I'll go ahead and put an ejection port cover on.
    Make sure you get a plastic one on sale at Primary Arms so you can stay under weight. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• 82HALO
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

Got home to my barrel waiting for me! It looks awesome! However, some what bummed out, no Grendel logo on the barrel!

Comment

• Bradpierson26
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by 82HALO View Post
        Got home to my barrel waiting for me! It looks awesome! However, some what bummed out, no Grendel logo on the barrel!
        Oh wow, really?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

What!?! Gawd. . . .
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
            Warrior
            • Feb 2017

At least yours didn't have rust... looks like TWO slipped through the super secret QC...

Comment

• Lastrites
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

Man, one wouldn't think that a QPQ nitride finish would show rust all too easily, makes me think that some sort of contamination got on that one barrel bwtn processes.

Comment

• Earl Keese
                Bloodstained
                • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                Man, one wouldn't think that a QPQ nitride finish would show rust all too easily, makes me think that some sort of contamination got on that one barrel bwtn processes.
                QPQ over stainless...

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

Mine had a few little red specks near the chamber end. It looked like paint to me. I scratched it off with my fingernail and all is good.

I did get a Grendel logo near the muzzle on top. Don't know how a no logo condition could have been missed.

I took a look inside the chamber where the pin hole is drilled. There is a noticeable discoloration there but otherwise great job.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

82H, dammit, send that l'il sumbitch back to me at my expense and I'll swap it out with one of my reserves — and it has the logo.

Email me for my mailing info.
                    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Bowhntr6pt View Post
                      At least yours didn't have rust... looks like TWO slipped through the super secret QC...
                      BH6, send yours back to me as well, at my expense, and I'll swap it out for one that is jet black.

Email me to get this worked out.

Comment

• 1trusted1
                        Unwashed
                        • Mar 2017

Fireformed 7.62 x39 Tolerance

Had the new rig out on Sunday and found that my hand loads using fire formed 7.62 x39 brass are too big for the Faxon chamber.

The issue with the hand loads getting stuck is that the 7.62 brass are 0.009 - 0.012 bigger at the bottom web (above the ejector lip).

Wiki Spec says:
                        7.62x39 - - = 0.44625
                        6.5 Grendel = 0.4433

The 7.62 Red Army fire formed brass is

New Hornady 6.5 Grendel Brass measures

The fire formed are well within the 7.62 spec and work OK in my Satern chamber but apparently the Faxon chamber has a tighter tolerance.

The new Hornady brass hand loads seem to fit fine and also the Wolf.

Guess the answer is to use the better brass of the Wolf at the South end...

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Or maybe my Hornady New Dimension dies need a new dimension...

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2012

i have only ever fire formed one 7.62 case for grendel and it was a steel case as an experiment, it doesn't drop into my grendel case gauge but does chamber in my brownells barrel without issue, haven't loaded up a new batch to try it out in the faxon but i would imagine it would have similar issue to your experience with fire formed brass
                          Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

SAAMI says maximum dimension near the base for Grendel case is 0.4410".
                            SAAMI says minimum chamber near the base is 0.4426".

If your brass measures 0.4442" it will not fit in the minimum chamber.

Your dies are not full length sizing to the proper width.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                              BH6, send your back to me as well, at my expense, and I'll swap it out for one that is jet black.

Email me to get this worked out.
                              Sincerely appreciate the offer but I've already used .005" shim stock and press fitted the barrel to an upper. Like I posted, I used steel wool to remove the spots, which certainly was not paint, and I'm not worried about it as this will be a field hunting rifle that will see semi-hard use.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                                Administrator
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by 1trusted1 View Post
                                The fire formed are well within the 7.62 spec and work OK in my Satern chamber but apparently the Faxon chamber has a tighter tolerance.
                                These are reamed with a Manson chamber reamer, if that makes a difference.

BH6: Cool. Got it!

Comment

Working...
                                X