X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lastrites
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

Homeconcert was pretty much spot on with his calculations saying it should weigh 2.3lbs / 2lbs 5oz as he stated early in this thread.

Comment

• howl
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

Yep, our weight was just a hair less than predicted.

Comment

• Centex_SR-15
        Unwashed
        • Apr 2016

Work has been crazy since Harvey and I haven't been online very much and missed that they have already shipped. I haven't received my barrel yet. Is there a way to check on it?

Comment

• noobzor
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2016

Took the new rifle out to the range last weekend - the first outing was promising. Got a 1.6ish group with irons at 100yds and factory Hornday Black. The cheapo Wolf stuff was getting around 3-4 moa. Now I have to figure out what scope I want...
          20171001_164900.jpg

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
            Warrior
            • Feb 2017

Very nice!

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

Nice Build. Where did you get the handguard?

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Now that's B.A!!!

Love the A2 stock, and the forend kind of sort of looks like a dissipator style!

Decided on a scope and a mount?

Comment

• noobzor
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                  Nice Build. Where did you get the handguard?
                  It is a free float tube + handguard combo from White Oak Armament - from here.

I mainly collect ww2-era guns so I knew I wanted to build an AR15 that was reminiscent of the original m-16, but I wanted it to be as accurate as the platform can be. Kind of a "classic look but deceptively modern internals" idea. This one lets me keep the look but still have a free-floating handguard so I went with it.

I'm not totally sold on the current handguard - one of my local shops has triangular guards for cheap so I might give those a shot instead.

After I get a scope (probably a SWFA SS 6x, no ranges around me that go out beyond 300yds) I want to eventually upgrade the handguard/stock/grip to wood.

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

Will the triangular handguards fit on the free float tube? I really like that 1st gen classic look. I have two A2 stocks on two of my lowers. They are really solid compared to the collapsible type stock.

Comment

• noobzor
                      Unwashed
                      • Sep 2016

It might need a small amount of sanding on the front lugs of the handguards - the installation instructions do bring that up. The ones provided in the set fit snugly already, not sure if they were modified.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2017

So... Given these Faxon barrels are nitrided inside & out, how is everyone breaking em in?
                        Last edited by AZHTfreak; 10-08-2017, 08:45 PM.
                        DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Centex_SR-15 View Post
                          Work has been crazy since Harvey and I haven't been online very much and missed that they have already shipped. I haven't received my barrel yet. Is there a way to check on it?
                          I'd PM BFT directly. It has been a week or two since I got mine. Get ahold of the United States post office and try and search the shipping number or recieving address to see if it was re routed. Best of luck.

Comment

• hdrolling
                            Bloodstained
                            • Aug 2017

Shot my barrel yesterday to adjust the SLR gas block, first two rounds I needed to use my armor hammer on the charging handle to extract the empty case. I've been reading this is common so I put a cheapo handle on before firing.

After I had the gas block adjusted I had no other issue firing. It was crazy windy so I couldn't get a good zero, I'll clean everything real well and head back out when the weather is better for some accuracy updates.
                            Last edited by hdrolling; 10-25-2017, 10:01 PM.
                            Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by hdrolling View Post
                              Shot my barrel yesterday to adjust the SLR gas block, first two rounds I need to use my armor hammer on the charging handle to extract the empty case. I've been reading this is common so I put a cheapo handle on before firing.

After I had the gas block adjusted I had no other issue firing. It was crazy windy so I couldn't get a good zero, I'll clean everything real well and head back out when the weather is better for some accuracy updates.
                              Same here... first round stuck good, the rest, no problem. Any chance you can post some pics of your fired cases? Interested in how yours does, initial shooting with mine is averaging 1.30" MOA with a variety of factory ammo.

Comment

• 1trusted1
                                Unwashed
                                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by 1trusted1 View Post
                                RNR, Thanks for your update.

I realize there are a lot of variables involved with different manufacturers but it would seem that having a specification like SAAMI would maximize interchangeability.

Maybe a seasoned shooter can answer this "is the purpose of a case gauge to check just length or also the entire case for diameters at shoulder, neck & base as well as the length?"

If a cartridge fits in a quality case gauge should it then fit in the chamber of the same caliber?

There is a short indoor range close to me that allows CFR so I may pack up some factory Wolf and hand loads with new and once fired Hornady brass.

I will give the chamber a good scrubbing first.

I won't be able to chronograph but can check function with these other cases to see if they have ejection issues.

The last of the fire formed brass that chambered required a 2x4 on the side charging handle to eject.

Not the first outing I had imagined...
                                Short trip to test some Wolf steel and new Hornady hand loads was productive.

20 rounds of the Wolf steel 100gr FMj and 10 rounds of Hornady new brass hand loads ejected without a hickup.

If I had the tools to measure the chamber, I am confident I would find the Faxon to be tight compared to my Satern.

Hopefully that equates to being more accurate than the Satern too.

Next step will be to get a better full length sizer or give up reforming 7.62 x39 brass.

These days it may not be worth the extra effort to reform but being able to do so if necessary does compel me to have a solution.

Comment

Working...
                                X