X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daveycrockett
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2019

Ok....I bought in.....payment sent for barrel and bolt.

Comment

• lazyengineer
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2019

Pulling off my PSA BBL now to mount this one instead; with it's matching Monster bolt. But will otherwise leave the upper full PSA spec. I will say, the original 20" BBL came off easy. slipped right out. which may not be a good thing.

Here's what the two BBL profiles look like.

Which one do you think will shoot better?

Interestingly, the weight differential isn't earth-shattering. Because PSA runs with A2 cut profile, they have the goofy waste of mass out front.
      PSA A2 Stainless 20" BBL: 942 grams
      Monster 20" BBL: 1093 grams -

or only about 15% heavier barrel (5 oz heavier). Not much for a lot thicker looking barrel.

UPDATE: ended up not liking how loose the hand-fit of barrel was to this particular PSA upper (it was the upper issue, not the barrel). So I grabbed a Bravo Company upper, and mounted the BBL in that. Nice and tight now. Can't wait to shoot it, and see what this 20" BBL can do. With a BiPod and A2 FH and 10X scope, this 20" rifle is competition legal for 600 yard Mid-Range matches in the https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/...e-competition/. You can shoot it in NRA High Power Mid-Range Matches while using the bipod this way.
      Last edited by lazyengineer; 01-20-2020, 06:19 PM.
      4x P100

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Dang the gas block on the PSA barrel was leaking bad.

Comment

• lazyengineer
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
          Dang the gas block on the PSA barrel was leaking bad.
          Maybe. In my experience, pretty much all gas blocks leak a good bit; even a pinned A2 Front sight. Didn't affect reliability any, so I'm not too worried about it.

I'm kind of amazed at how fast and how far the chamber tapers down in that PSA cut.
          4x P100

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

U P D A T E : Two left in this batch. Months before next batch. Orders tonight ship tomorrow; later orders will ship next week when I'm back from SHOT Show.

Excellent specs for lightweight hunting barrels!
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• lazyengineer
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
              U P D A T E : Two left in this batch. Months before next batch. Orders tonight ship tomorrow; later orders will ship next week when I'm back from SHOT Show.

Excellent specs for lightweight hunting barrels!
              Probably the wrong venue, so maybe we should take this to PM. But that 20" BBL profile is very cool, and it's a 6.5 mm dia barrel. Have you given any thought to having a side-batch of those 20" made but right at the end, cut a few with 6.5 CM chamber in them? (and the correct barrel extension)?
              4x P100

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Have thought about 65CM and would like to cuz it's a good idea, but that's a future project.
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• Daveycrockett
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2019

Received my barrel yesterday! Super fast shipping and it looks awesome. Even comes with a sample jar of face camo ��. Cant wait to assemble it and test it out. Still working on the other parts of my build. Thanks again!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

U P D A T E : Gentlemen and Vile Unwashed Masses of the Grendel Horde, this buy is SOLD OUT.

Upcoming NEXT is a batch of our MONSTER 12s with an improved 1:7.5 rifling twist.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2019

Well.... darn. Tried my new 20" BBL today, and accuracy still was pretty spotty. In the 2 MOA range, and like always, Hornady 123 was closer to 4 MOA (ish). In my quest for good 20" performance I've tried multiple scopes and mounts, multiple ammo, multiple BBLs now, multiple bolts, and now multiple stripped uppers even, as well as multiple muzzle devices at multiple degrees of torques. Multiple ammo from multiple sources and reloading techniques of multiple specs. No matter what I do, i can't make 6.5 Grendel shoot tight. The 5.56 AR next to it, will shoot sub MOA easily, so it's probably not me.

There are two things left to try, after which.... donno.
                      1) - at least one person has recently mentioned that their gas-block was the reason they were shooting poorly, and when they switched from the PSA adjustible gas block to a fixed other-party gas black, that had a HUGE increase on their performance; essentially that solved all their problems. I have a spare block, which just shot sub MOA on a NM 223 AR, so it should be good; so I'm going to try that. I'll be honest, I don't really understand how that would really impact accuracy; but as someone recently pointed out in the above photos, my PSA adjustible block I'm using does apparently leak a lot - so who knows. On an aside, this is why I'm not a big fan of the current trend of long tactical handguards that extend past the gas-block. Now I have to to take off my handguard to get to it. Whereas the other block I'm going to use, I'm going to pull a block off a NM 20" AR service rifle - which are in front of the handguards and easy as can be to get to. .

2) - In another thread someone gets good accuracy single-loading, bad accuracy loading from magazine. So next outing, I'll try single-load shooting it. Not sure what I'm going to do if that ends up being it, but I'll at least test that.

3) - I guess I'll try adjusting the torque on my barrel nut. Though I forget, is it better to go heavy, or light, on that?
                      4x P100

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
                        Well.... darn. Tried my new 20" BBL today, and accuracy still was pretty spotty. In the 2 MOA range, and like always, Hornady 123 was closer to 4 MOA (ish). In my quest for good 20" performance I've tried multiple scopes and mounts, multiple ammo, multiple BBLs now, multiple bolts, and now multiple stripped uppers even, as well as multiple muzzle devices at multiple degrees of torques. Multiple ammo from multiple sources and reloading techniques of multiple specs. No matter what I do, i can't make 6.5 Grendel shoot tight. The 5.56 AR next to it, will shoot sub MOA easily, so it's probably not me.

There are two things left to try, after which.... donno.
                        1) - at least one person has recently mentioned that their gas-block was the reason they were shooting poorly, and when they switched from the PSA adjustible gas block to a fixed other-party gas black, that had a HUGE increase on their performance; essentially that solved all their problems. I have a spare block, which just shot sub MOA on a NM 223 AR, so it should be good; so I'm going to try that. I'll be honest, I don't really understand how that would really impact accuracy; but as someone recently pointed out in the above photos, my PSA adjustible block I'm using does apparently leak a lot - so who knows. On an aside, this is why I'm not a big fan of the current trend of long tactical handguards that extend past the gas-block. Now I have to to take off my handguard to get to it. Whereas the other block I'm going to use, I'm going to pull a block off a NM 20" AR service rifle - which are in front of the handguards and easy as can be to get to. .

2) - In another thread someone gets good accuracy single-loading, bad accuracy loading from magazine. So next outing, I'll try single-load shooting it. Not sure what I'm going to do if that ends up being it, but I'll at least test that.

3) - I guess I'll try adjusting the torque on my barrel nut. Though I forget, is it better to go heavy, or light, on that?
                        Torque the barrel nut at 35 foot pounds, make sure the gas tube isn't being contacted anywhere. Make sure your gas block is line up properly, not being touched by the handguard, make sure the gas block bolts aren't set more then 15 inch pounds, install the muzzle device with the accuwasher system and no torque., lapp the reciver, bed the barrel.

Check the gas tube too gas key fit up, if the gas key isn't hiring the gas tube square it's going to mess with your groups.

Comment

• mopar_4life
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2019

Man I just received my 20 inch monster yesterday. I must of been one of the last ones. It looks good. Getting it together to shoot next weekend. I?ll post the results.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2019

If anyone wants one and didn't get a chance - I'm selling my 20" Monster BBL. It has about 400 rounds on it. $150 shipped. If you want the bolt too; then $200 shipped combined. Switch to PM for follow-up.

(FWIW, I also have a PSA 20" SS BBL as well, at maybe 500 rounds - same deal).
                            4x P100

Comment

Working...
                            X