X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I'll post this over here so I don't clog your new thread.

Originally posted by cory View Post
    The contour will be a modified AR740 cut to length with a Carbine Length Gas System, and gas port drilled to 0.073".
    .....NO Gas Block Flat
    .....0.740" in front of the gas block modified to 0.725"
    I think you should scratch me off the barrel list. I don't believe I can make it to 20ounces on that profile.

I'm open to input if I'm wrong, but I just don't think it's possible.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Variable View Post
      I'll post this over here so I don't clog your new thread.

I think you should scratch me off the barrel list. I don't believe I can make it to 20ounces on that profile.

I'm open to input if I'm wrong, but I just don't think it's possible.
      I think you'll be within 1oz with the 12.5" barrel. You could always go with the 11.5" barrel and I think you'd hit your mark.

Did we talk about changing the 0.750" under the handguard. I think we could push it to 0.700" and be alright, 0.725" would work great.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
        I think you'll be within 1oz with the 12.5" barrel. You could always go with the 11.5" barrel and I think you'd hit your mark.

Did we talk about changing the 0.750" under the handguard. I think we could push it to 0.700" and be alright, 0.725" would work great.
        I'm afraid it'll be heavier, but I can only guess based off of what is posted on Lilja's website.

11.5" instead of 12.5" : I already have two chrome bore barrels that are actually 10.75" (now that I actually measured one).LOL Spending a bunch on an 11.5" barrel just to gain 3/4" just isn't in the cards for me. That's why I didn't have a second choice for barrel selection. If I were going to go shorter than 12.5", I'd just have my spare Sabre barrel reprofiled for $80.

Smaller than .750 profile under the handguard: I mentioned it as the only way I thought I could get close to my max allowable weight in post #60 and #64 of this thread. I also mentioned going as low as .680" because it'd probably be stiff enough as such a short barrel. I understand if other folks don't want a barrel that light, they may not care at all, or want something heavier instead. I had kinda hoped Lilja could tell us how/if they could turn out a 12.5" barrel at 20 ounces in weight.

Everybody will likely want something slightly different, but most can probably compromise a bit. I totally understand that. I've just got less wiggle room because I already have something so close already. For me to justify the expense, it has to be materially different for me, and represent a significant improvement (higher velocity and lighter weight). I have a "normal" shorty. To get me to spend a bucket of cash for a new high-tech build, it needs to have some personal "wow-factor". Hopefully that makes sense.
        Last edited by Variable; 07-31-2014, 01:57 AM.
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Working...
        X