• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Lilja Short Barrel... New Poll

NFA Disclaimer

Once a sub 16" barrel is assembled into a complete firearm, it becomes a regulated item by the National Firearms Act (NFA), unless assembled into an AR Pistol. Please check with your local and state municipalities for any further regulatory requirements. It is the buyer’s responsibility to make sure they comply with all NFA rules and applicable laws.

Barrel Count
    Claimed: 11
    Goal: 30 - Need: 20
    Deposits: 0
    Paid For: 0

Barrel Length Score
    12.5" - 8
    11.5" - 7
    10.5" - 2

I've asked for your first and second choice of barrel lengths in the spread sheets. I've using a weighted scoring system to determine the winner, possibly 2 winners. Each first choice is 3 points and each second choice is 2 points.

I'm starting a new thread so I can specify the poll a little more. It seems everyone interested in these barrels are interested in getting it black nitrated. I'll still be working to make that happen, but no longer see a need to have it in the poll.

I'll consider each vote a serious potential buyer. If you don't intend to buy a barrel, please don't vote.

I've got the itch for an 11.5" Grendel Black nitrated barrel. PDW/Truck/Tree Stand Gun. However, I'm open to a 10.5" & 12.5" too.

Right now we're looking at either a Lilja M4 contour barrel, which has a carbine length gas system, cut down to 12.5", 11.5" or 10.5" or a scaled down version of the Lilja AR740 contour barrel, with a carbine length gas system, cut down to 12.5", 11.5" or 10.5".

Lilja requires a minimum order of 20 barrels to do this. Obviously I can't make this purchase on my own.

Lilja will have Manson Reamers in the near future and the use of SAAMI Spec Grendel Manson reamers will be a requirement for this purchase.

There's a discount for 5+ barrels and an additional discount for ordering sub 15" barrels. Dan Lilja is ready to quote me a final price once we get him a number of barrels being ordered.

Expect no more expensive than $425 per barrel, and fluting $115 per barrel.

Black Nitrating: It seems everyone is as interested in this service as I am. I'll update the following post with information on this at a later time.

Interested in opinions from anyone with sub 14" Grendels.

SPECS:
    Bolt used for Head Spacing - Maxim Firearms 6.5 Grendel Bolt 0.135" recess
    Fluted - Optional
    Contour - M4 cut to length
    Length - TBD
    Gas System - Carbine Length
    Twist - 7" (subject to change)
    Thread - 5/8X24

Timeline:
    It's a little early, but I thought it a good ideal to state my goal.

At this time I intend to start collecting deposits by August 1st and would like to be sending the deposit to Lilja by August 15th.

Once details pan out in the next week or so I'll post the order form.

If you're interested in this group buy, please download the sheet, fill out the excel sheet at the link and email it to me at me.cory.m.clark@gmail.com (The email is correct, please copy and paste)
    12.5"
    0%
    11.5"
    0%
    10.5"
    0%

The poll is expired.

"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Black Nitrate

Quote Ferritic Nitrocarburize per AMS2753C
    H&M Black Nitride™ process.

$5.00 each RIFLE Barrel
    $250.00 Minimum Lot Charge
    $7.00 Certification to the process, if requested
    $50.00 Certification with actual lab results, if requested (Customer must supply material for destructive testing)

Plus Shipping

I'm not sure who would be interested in a certification or lab test, but they gave me a quote so it's available.
    Last edited by cory; 07-23-2014, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

SLR Gas Block, Gas Tube, & Charging Handle

Stainless Sentry 7 Clamp On Premium Adjustable Gas Block

Black Nitrite Carbine Gas Tube

Renegade Charging Handle 5.56 Mod 1

If I buy enough of these, I can get them at a discount price. However, I was asked to keep the details private.

I'll buy them and sell them to whoever buys a barrel at my cost. Once I start taking barrel orders, let me know if you're interested in getting this gas block with your barrel. I'll contact you with a price and then you can let me know if you want one or not. Please keep the price private.

2mm Ball Drivers - If interested in a ball driver you'll need to email me by 20140723.
      SLR Rifleworks, AR15, AK47, 9mm, Gas Blocks, Hand Guard, AR10, GLOCK, 9mm
      Last edited by cory; 07-19-2014, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

Spikes Tactical Monolithic Upper

I've contacted Spike's Tactical about getting a volume price on their BilletUpper - Gen II - SAR3 Barrel Nut and SAR3 Rail minus the unneeded barrel nut.

Our mission is simple, we strive to build the highest quality AR-15's firearms, and offer them at the best possible price.

$30 discount on the rail because of the barrel nut we won't need. As of right now at 5 combos we're looking at a 10% discount, possibly more depending on how many we ordered.

Scratch the 10% discount, we're getting a 20% discount plus a $30 off the rail for not needing the nut for the mil spec receiver.

I've got the setup with the 13.2" rail for my 16" Grendel Build. Here's a couple of pictures.

The upper weighed in at 12.5oz and the 13.2" rail weighed in at 8.3oz minus barrel nut.

Spike's Tools
        Last edited by cory; 07-19-2014, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Lilja doesn't have the tolling to do the 1/2" twists, so the nominal 7.5" twist really isn't an option here. I wonder what Bill A's opinion on a 12.5" barrel with a 7" twist is.

Has anyone ran a 7" twist Grendel Barrel?

Comment

• Castor Troy

What about 1:8? Personally I'd be using this barrel for 100gr wolf, as I suspect many would

Comment

I would like to have Bill A. pitch in as well on barrel twist recommendation for a sub 13" bbl. But I would opt for a 1-8" twist with out it.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
                Lilja doesn't have the tolling to do the 1/2" twists, so the nominal 7.5" twist really isn't an option here. I wonder what Bill A's opinion on a 12.5" barrel with a 7" twist is.

Has anyone ran a 7" twist Grendel Barrel?
                I don't recall ever seeing any 7" twists in grendel. As far as I know, the 7.5" twist on the 10.5" and 14.5" Sabre barrels are as tight as it ever got. There could be something out there though I guess. Definitely a Bill A. question on whether 7" would be good.

The one thing I can say is that a 7.5" twist stabilizes 160gr. Bullets in my 10.5" barrel. Would an 8" twist do it? I dunno?
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Castor Troy View Post
                  What about 1:8? Personally I'd be using this barrel for 100gr wolf, as I suspect many would
                  You're buying a Lilja barrel to shoot bimetal bullets through? I know it's going to be treated, but most folks would gasp at such a proposition.LOL I like your style! You get two thumbs up!
                  Last edited by Variable; 07-10-2014, 10:49 PM. Reason: Correct brainfart with manuf. name...
                  Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                  We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

These are 5.56s in 10.5, 11.5, and 12.5, and I can't remember where I got the photo, but I'm posting it here for reference.

John
                    Attached Files
                    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

Thanks for the photo! Aesthetically the 11.5" is definitely the sweet spot. IMHO

I should point out that if you look at the Lilja M4 drawing they don't measure barrels like we're accustomed to. They go by the OAL. The industry, as I understand it, is to classify a barrel by the distance from the bolt face to the end of the barrel, due to NFA regs. Someone correct please me if I'm completely off.

The M4 in the drawing shows a length of 17", but for all intents and purposes, it's a 16" barrel.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Cory - you are quite correct in that the common (ATF accepted) means of measuring the barrel length is from bolt face to muzzle. In the case of the 5.56 / .223, measuring from the barrel extension to the muzzle adds approximately 1/2", compared to measuring to the bolt face. I suspect the 6.5 Grendel would be within a tenth or two of that.
                        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                          Administrator
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
                          Thanks for the photo! Aesthetically the 11.5" is definitely the sweet spot. IMHO
                          I would tend to agree; it just looks "right." Now, should one go with the tech specs one wants or how cool it looks?
                          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• cory
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2012

It's a little early, but I thought it a good ideal to state my goal.

At this time I intend to start collecting deposits by August 1st and would like to be sending the deposit to Lilja by August 15th.

Once details pan out in the next week or so I'll post the order form.

Comment

• cory
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2012

Variable (and everyone else) I've been thinking about the lightweight barrel we've been thinking about. I had an AR740 (20") that was fluted. I loved the contour. It seemed plenty stiff. I'm sure we could talk Dan into scaling it down to what we want. Unfortunately I never weighed it. I don't think.

Comment

Working...
                              X