• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by cory View Post
    Lilja has begun carrying Tactical Underground Bolts to go with their Grendel Barrels.

We are offering a 6.5 Grendel bolt made by Maxim Firearms. This bolt is a perfect match for our 6.5 Grendel barrels. Maxim's phone number is 928-486-2296. Machined from certified 9310 AQ (aircraft quality) steel Matte black; phosphate finish Completely assembled with extractor, rings, and ejector, ready for installation into your bolt carrier Also referred to as "Type II" bolt which has a .136" bolt face depth    

For the Group buy the price is $70 if you want one.
    So how good are these bolts from underground?
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

They're made from the right materials and machined to the correct dimensions as far as I know. I don't know anything about the ejector leaf they use. I wouldn't have any hesitations in using one. However, I would pay the extra to get the PF bolt. Just my humble opinion.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Drift
        Warrior
        • Nov 2014

Maybe a nother couple of weeks?

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Drift View Post
          Maybe a nother couple of weeks?
          Lilja should be done with the barrels within a couple of weeks. I'll be contacting y'all for final payment as soon as I get the cost of shipment.

Comment

• Adam Lilja
            Warrior
            • Dec 2013

Lilja should be done with the barrels within a couple of weeks. I'll be contacting y'all for final payment as soon as I get the cost of shipment.
            We were waiting on Manson but they are all chambered now and will start turning this week.

Comment

• jim_bob
              Warrior
              • Jul 2014

Excellent news!

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

Stand by Gents.

The barrels are finished at Lilja. I'm awaiting a shipping cost and weight from Lilja. I'll send the weight to Precision Firearms to get a shipping cost there. Get my shipping costs figured up and hopefully have a final price to you by early next week.

I think I can fit the barrels and other materials into the Fedex small one rate boxes. With insurance and packaging materials it should not exceed $15 shipping.

If there's any problem with this, please advise. I'm open to other ideas.
                Last edited by cory; 06-12-2015, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Drum roll?
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• 6.5 Jerry
                    Unwashed
                    • Jul 2012

This sounds great!!

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

I forgot and don't see it in the drawing--- Do these barrels have a flat and/or a dimple drilled for use with set screw gas blocks?

I ask because SLR isn't making a clamp-on Sentry 7 out of Ti yet. He's worried about "flex".
                      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• cory
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                        I forgot and don't see it in the drawing--- Do these barrels have a flat and/or a dimple drilled for use with set screw gas blocks?

I ask because SLR isn't making a clamp-on Sentry 7 out of Ti yet. He's worried about "flex".
                        No, we talked about this early on. Doing the first group buy most didn't want the flat, and no one seemed to want it this time.

That's the problem with Ti, it doesn't allow for much deflection before yielding. Then when it yields, there isn't much margin before it breaks.
                        Last edited by cory; 06-14-2015, 03:23 AM.

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Okay, thanks!

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

No, we talked about this early on. Doing the first group buy most didn't want the flat, and no one seemed to want it this time.

That's the problem with Ti, it doesn't allow for much deflection before yielding. Then when it yields, there isn't much margin before it breaks.
                            But they make springs out of it.....?

The SLR blocks are supposedly made from Grade 5 Ti. They also make a lot of Ti springs out of Grade 5. The one above is for a mountain bike.

Besides, for a gas block? That's a pretty small "flex" just to clamp it. It's not like it's being used for a coil spring or a diving board.LOL

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see it or "get it".
                            Last edited by Variable; 06-14-2015, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• cory
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2012

I think those springs fall into the same realm as Ti suppressors. They'll work within the constraints they're design for, but if you push it beyond that at all you're going to get a catastrophic failure modes. That being said, I have an inherent distrust of Ti suppressors on Semi Carbines and shorter. An I would look hard at the weight restrictions on these springs before I used them. If they don't have weight restrictions that would tell me that there's insufficient engineering.

The Ti clamp on gas blocks would probably be fine. However, SLR probably just isn't confident enough to risk a recall on a lot of expensive Ti suppressor, because they started breaking while in use. That and the bad publicity that would ensue. Short of bringing someone on staff with Phd experience with engineering Ti, I can't say I blame them here.

Now I would think a good solution might be to machine these things like scope rings. You could even design the bottom ring to be pinned, which would make aligning the top ring with the gas hole easy.

Comment

• Variable
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

I wouldn't worry about a Ti gas block at all, but I will try to keep the Ti suppressor at or under about 800*F. I'll be testing that one soon enough.LOL

(Sorry for the crappy pic. I didn't notice that my iPotato was focused on the sidewalk and not the can...)

Comment

Working...
                                X