• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
    Stan:

You are judging the morality and ethics of 17th century America based on today's moral and ethical standards?

LR55
    Why not? It certainly furthers arguments and chaos while not particularly helping insight.

Is this what we want from the grendel forum?
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
      Why not? It certainly furthers arguments and chaos while not particularly helping insight.

Is this what we want from the grendel forum?
      +1. I love a good debate, but being constantly barraged about the evils of the US without any historical back ground is divisive at best. It is through mistakes we learn the most and the US has a wonderful history of making things right. Freedom had to start somewhere and no nation did it better than the US. https://www.prageru.com/video/is-gun-ownership-a-right/

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Stan: You are judging the morality and ethics of 17th century America based on today's moral and ethical standards?
        KSWT was judging today's moral standards based on the morality of the Founders, and said that "we've deteriorated" since then. Considering what was legal and widely practiced in the Founders' time, their moral standards were far from superior to today's.

If one wishes to argue that moral standards are relative, varying with time and place, I would agree. Although that argument contradicts the idea that moral standards come "from a higher power" and are absolute, unchanging.

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

2 idiots arguing.jpg

Comment

• stanc
            Banned
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]14664[/ATTACH]
            That ironically amusing -- or amusingly ironic -- coming from a person who's been an active participant in these internet arguments.

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Some major errors in that video:

"The term 'militia' does not refer to a National Guard type group." - FALSE. That's precisely what "a well regulated Militia" refers to: The official military force organized and maintained by each State. The original State militias were the equivalent of today's National Guard.

"In the 1790s, 'State' wasn't used to mean an an individual State like New York, etc..." - FALSE. "State" most definitely was used to mean an individual State, both throughout the Constitution, as well as in the 6th and 10th Amendments. And, since one of the purposes of the militia was to give individual States the capability to oppose the standing army maintained by the federal government, it is clear that the "State" in the 2nd Amendment -- as in the 6th and 10th -- does in fact refer to the individual States.
              Last edited by stanc; 09-17-2019, 10:53 PM.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                KSWT was judging today's moral standards based on the morality of the Founders, and said that "we've deteriorated" since then. Considering what was legal and widely practiced in the Founders' time, their moral standards were far from superior to today's.

If one wishes to argue that moral standards are relative, varying with time and place, I would agree. Although that argument contradicts the idea that moral standards come "from a higher power" and are absolute, unchanging.
                Not what I asked.

Simple question.

Are you judging the morality and ethics of 17th Century America based on today's moral and ethical standards?

LR55

Comment

• montana
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                  That ironically amusing -- or amusingly ironic -- coming from a person who's been an active participant in these internet arguments.
                  I have seen the light.jpg

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Not what I asked.

Simple question.

Are you judging the morality and ethics of 17th Century America based on today's moral and ethical standards?
                    I was doing the same thing that KSWT did: Comparing 18th Century and 21st Century moral standards.

If you wish to consider that to be "judging," then yes, KSWT and I were judging one based on the other.

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

For now this thread is locked.

LR55

Comment

Working...
                      X