X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Texas
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2016

Really old veteran who use to shoot military match with a garand and M14, bullseye with 1911, and IPSC with model 25 and 27 S&W. Very interested in improving accuracy, reliability, and handling of AR platforms. Live in country with rifle and pistol ranges on farm.

Comment

• v1911
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2018

Competitive shooter with .223 carbine and pistols. Although I'm a suburbanite, there is no shortage of ranges I can go to living in north Texas. The Grendel's primary purpose will be hunting.

Comment

• Torquaholic
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2017

I'm 34, hearing def kept me out of the service. Civilian Paramedic in Rural Texas counties for 5 years. I work in a hospital these days, higher up the chain of care.

My mechanical mind and tinkering led me to the AR platform due to its design. (I should have been an engineer with how much I enjoy building things).

I've always enjoyed shooting, from air rifles as a kid to pistols and bolt actions later on. Concealed carry for 4 over years now. I don't get as much range time as I'd like to; family time takes priority.

I like the Grendel for its versatility. My aim is to use it as a hunting and precision round, keep the 5.56 and Eotech for the fun runs.
        Last edited by Torquaholic; 03-16-2018, 03:27 AM.

Comment

• xtultegra
          Unwashed
          • Jan 2018

Grew up hunting and fishing with my grandfather. I spent many nights by the campfire learning about providing for yourself, taking care of the people and the world around you, doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do, and how some of the most worthwhile things are the hardest things to do but the most obvious things you should do. I long for the days when shooting was treated more like a religion than a subject for a video game.

Comment

• Xj-jake
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2018

Long time Hunter and former country kid. At 37 years old I now live on the edge of town but would really love to be in the country. The grandparents live about a mile from town which allows me to shoot up to about 150 yards. Bought my first AR the week before the Sandy Hook shooting. Just picked up my Grendel about a month ago and have yet to shoot it but can't wait. I spend most of the summer months both fishing and riding motorcycle. Once fall harvest is finished I try to hit the coyotes as much as my work allows.

Comment

• Sandstorm
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2016

Us old dogs need new tricks too. Yea bigger caliber always sounded better to me than .223...
              not that .223 cant get shit done too, and quite well I might add.
              Im from the Frozen North and my blood line is from the 6.5mm round, so its a no brainer.

Comment

• FOGII
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2016

I fit in multiple categories. Retired military, former competitive shooter who lives the rural life with my own range.

S/F, FOG

Comment

• RiverRider
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2017

Veteran, been shooting since age of eight, like to hunt, love firearms in general, fascinated with science of internal ballistics, enjoy handloading, no interest in formal competition, and seem to have multiple personalities when it comes to "what I like in a rifle."

I like to investigate certain aspects of internal ballistics, external ballistics, and extreme accuracy for the sake of knowing. In practice, MOA is more than fine for big game...but I demand 1/2-MOA out of a .22 centerfire.

I was drawn to the 6.5 Grendel for the purposes of slaughtering feral hogs. I've been working on load development for my rifle for months and seem to be plagued with inconsistent results, but hope that a recent purchase of a group-buy barrel w/bolt will get things moving in the right direction. Just in time for spring.

Comment

• Zeus
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2018

I'm 3 of the 5 and one was the exact answer

Comment

• CWOZ
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2018

Retired Navy, moved to "the sticks" and built a 100 yd range, I need to dig it into a 200 yd range. I really wanted a light "handi rifle" for deer hunting, with more bullet than a .223. I know people are successfully taking deer with .223s, but I just want a little more 'assurance' without the size and weight of a 30-06. I kept looking at the available options for an ar and kept coming back to the one with the most awesome sounding name. Valkerie is also cool but it is still a .22 cal.
                      PSA and their darn sales killed my resolve and I got a pistol lower and a 12" upper.
                      I like to plink and an ar is fun, but a 10/22 is fun and cheap too!

I think the Grendel in a pistol is the ideal cartridge for my needs. I would eventually like to try some distance shooting with a longer barrel.

Comment

• Big Dog
                        Unwashed
                        • Oct 2018

Comment

• RMiller
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2018

I am a hunter.

Almost all of my firearms I load to hunt with.

I had no need for an MSR but the option of plinking with really cheap ammo appealed to me.

The kids love shooting the Grendels at steel with Wolf ammo.

Even the BCA barreled rifle with Wolf can ring steel at 400 all day long.

Comment

• danm
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2014

Shot a lot as a kid, got away from it for years... Drug dealer neighbors surrounding us changed that, started with a concealed pistol then shotgun then AR... Quickly realized through tons of research that 6.5G was the most versatile cartridge out of the AR-15 frame. Built an 18" and later a 12.5" for HD. Don't hunt but I can see doing it for meat. Live in the LC Valley (home of Seekins) and it's about 30 min to the local range with a 200 yard mound/steel, just around the corner is what's called the Devil's Spine a canyon that ends with a cliff band at 885 yrds...

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2017

I went with "New shooter age 18-30 who learned about 6.5 Grendel via social media" as the closest fit. But I'm a bit over 30 and am not really a new shooter. I'm basically a gun nerd with an interest in military and survival who got bored with 5.56 and wanted something with more punch to hunt with in an AR platform.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                                Super Moderator
                                • Sep 2014

This whole topic has taken on renewed interest and retrospect for me as I'm in the process of introducing the shooting discipline to my younger children.

We had the opportunity a few weeks ago to go down to North Springs as a family and let the little ones and mama do some blasting, starting the kids out on .22 LR of course.

My brother left a little Sears Roebuck 1950s-era tube-fed .22 LR rifle, which actually worked 100%. Didn't look like he ever fired it, and thinking back on our younger days, I don't recall him shooting it as he always brought his 10/22 when we were still teens.

Anyway, I'm forced to reconsider how I make all my purchases lately because there is the emphasis on making shooting as fun and safe for the kids as possible.

So for Christmas, we're looking at Red Ryder BB gun for my little guy and a youth 10/22 for the kids, already got them on sale.

Now I have to figure out who will be shooting what and when as they get more mature.

My oldest daughter was able to shoot the 12" Grendel suppressed for her first center-fire experience.

I held the little Ruger .22 Mk IV while they shot some steel targets in the cowboy town, which was fun for them, then let mama do some speed drills on the sils.

So some of my shooting focus is shifting to the family rather than just me going out and evolving with my 4 decades + of shooting experience chasing the next best thing.
                                Last edited by LRRPF52; 11-30-2018, 03:22 AM.
                                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                                X