• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Slippery and expensive slope.

Took the GF and her two daughters out shooting a couple months after we met. Shot my Baby eagle .40 and 16" middy (still waiting on PF for my Grendel).

They were OK with pistol, but really liked the rifle. I took them out individually after my Grendel arrived and they all wanted to keep going. It was a good xmas for them last year. Little hard on my bank account at $2500 a pop on 3 Howa Mini setups. They are all consistent .7 or better shooters. Just really need to get them going longer distance.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Essayons
      Unwashed
      • Oct 2015

Urbanite who struggles to find good places to shoot in order to maintain my marksmanship skills. I'm 55 and got interested in ARs after seeing a Colt SP1 at the local rifle range in the 1970s and then using M16A1s in the Army (1983-86). I didn't buy an AR before the Assault Weapons Ban because I figured I could do so at any time. Once the AWB sunsetted, I bought an A1 clone. However, the manufacturer got several details wrong, so I built my own. That turned out to be a slippery slope...

Comment

• Belt Fed
        Bloodstained
        • Feb 2019

An old dog that's owned and been shooting Ar's and military style weapons since the late 70's. have always loved the AR platform regardless of what make it was. but I am new to the 6.5 and eager to see what it can do. I got into the AR10 6.5 creedmore a couple years ago and discovered the long range abilities of it. but i'm excited to hunt with the lighter framed 15 for next season.

Used to hear a lot of comments years ago at the ranges, like why do you need or own one of those. i'd say cause I can that's why. guess things haven't changed much.

Comment

• Popeye212
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2018

Old dog retired firefighter got back into reloading and shooting and hunting again.

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
            Warrior
            • May 2014

Rural dweller,,,, shooting since I was 10,, reloaded since 14,, hunted almost everything that's edible,, no coons or alligators ,,,Field Artillery Surveyor,, never cared for the M-16, bought the 1st one after the Colorado theater shooting because I figured as much with bho in office. Decent rifle , much better than the worn out beaters we had in basic , ARNG had better rifles in the armory , still didn't care for them. 223/5.56 was and is at best a coyote rifle , 6.5 gives more thump on target. Logical evolution of the AR is to 6.5. I followed , built one and am happy enough with it . Still like my bolt guns for most everything but the AR in 6.5 does serve a purpose.

Comment

• roo_ster
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2016

Old dog ex-military suburbanite.

Did not give a hoot about AR15s after leaving the service until I figured the AR15 in 6.5Grendel could get my wimminfolk and kiddos in the field with a light in bulk & weight--but effective--rifle.

This whole topic has taken on renewed interest and retrospect for me as I'm in the process of introducing the shooting discipline to my younger children.

Anyway, I'm forced to reconsider how I make all my purchases lately because there is the emphasis on making shooting as fun and safe for the kids as possible.

Now I have to figure out who will be shooting what and when as they get more mature.
              Yep, all of that, the last few years, has been my focus.

Yes, the Ruger 10/22 with a scope is a Godsend, as are the Ruger MKIV 22/45 pistols.

But before all those, the .22LR single shot Crickett rifle at 2.5lbs is the bee's knees. I even bought another stock to cut down for my daughter at first. The cheap 4x32 mil-dot scope on the web site is perfect for it. (build up hte stock with pipe insulation & conforming tape to get eyeball in line with scope). I found that if you zero with hi-vel .22LR at 25 yards, you can shoot Aguila super-colibri and hit the same spot if you use the 3rd mil-dot down. Super Colibris in the Crickett are less loud than an air rifle and kill squirrels out to 25 yards with no need for earpro. Just ask my son & daughter and FIL.

Took wife & kiddos to an Appleseed shoot after getting some of the basics down. No, they were not going to make Rifleman with Cricket Rifles, but they got a lot of shooting in and got a lot of instruction in a short time. Good stuff.

Other solutions discovered after hard trial & error...

Ruger MKIV 22/45 and 10/22.

Beretta A400 28ga shotgun: light weight, light recoil, potent enough for pheasant. Kinda spendy, but gets my wife daughter into the field after pheasant.

5" bbl all steel 1911...chambered in 9x19mm, flat MSH, short trigger, slim grip panels fits almost anyone, big or small, and recoil is minimal.

S&W K-frame & L-frame with a great trigger job shooting 148gr Federal Target Wadcutters. J-frames not as easy to shoot due to trigger limitations.

12-13YO boy can handle a Rem 870 12ga firing reduced recoil target loads until your wallet squeals. Buy that ammo in bulk. Get the inexpensive but effective Youth or body armor stock and spacers from Choate to get proper fit. And the non-LEO forearm to reduce the distance folk must reach to operate pump. Switch to Fiocci full power Golden Pheasant loads in the field and he won't know hte difference.

Old-School Patrol slings to carry rifle/shotgun weight at the ready is a big help in the field.

PAST (or whomever bought them) Recoil Shield turns a painful outing into a fun outing.

Lightweight AR15 in 6.5G beats Ruger American Compact Rifle in .243Win due mainly to reduced recoil and no need for PAST. And hte collapsible stock helps all in hte family get on the rifle.

Find an IDPA or similar club that encourages you to bring kiddos. The closest club was standoffish. The second club said bring them on down and were happy to make it work. They thanked me for bringing them after the shoot. Worth every minute of the extra half hour needed to get there.

===============

Good luck with the kiddos.
              Regards,

roo_ster

"Drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she'll come right back, Victorious over your ignorant confident scorn."
              ----Horace

Comment

• Bayouhunter1960
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2019

Grew up and still live in a small seafood and boat building town in south Alabama. My father started me on daisy pump BB gun at age 7 in 1967 moved up to a Benjamin 22 cal all brass pellet rifle in at age 11. From then on I hunted just about everything you could shoot and eat with that rifle. I still have it to this day. Started working on the smaller bay shrimp boats during summer school breaks at age 14 then moved to oil field and tested for my first 100 ton captain’s license in 1979 after 41 yrs I’m still in the Gulf of Mexico oil fields supplying the drill ships and platforms. Taught my two sons and daughter to shoot and hunt as I was taught. And the tradition continues now with grandchildren. I wish I could retire but I’m now helping support 3 young grandsons and starting them on the shooting and hunting journey. It’s changing though as I have to keep it more interesting than the “expletive” video games. They love the deer camp we have in mid Alabama and camp fires roasting hot dogs and sausage over the fire. Getting to be an older dog now but I’ll keep working and keep it going as long as I can. The Grendel has started me on a new journey with the AR. I’ve been mostly a Marlin lever action guy with Ruger #1 single shots guy for the last 20 yrs. couple of mini 30’s in there also. I’m enjoying the Grendel more than I have any other caliber for awhile now. Thanks guys for all the info here on this site. My 12 yr old shooting one of the mini 30’s
                Last edited by Bayouhunter1960; 05-16-2019, 02:50 AM.

Comment

• GREYBUFF
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2018

Retired from the electric utility industry. ARMY veteran. 82nd Airborne. All the Way sir.
                  Sorta rural city dweller and also have 20ac. In northern AZ. Have a private range from 25 to 480 yards.
                  Love shooting long range w/my Shiloh Sharps 45-70 furthest shot was at 1200 yards in a competition and I won
                  Shooting my AR's (5.56 and Grendel} out to 480 yards currently, but am hoping to extend that this summer.
                  Reload my own.
                  Hunt with an osage long bow and got drawn for cow elk this coming fall
                  I thought about selling my weapons back to the government, but after a thorough background check it was determined that the buyer has a long history of violence and is mentally unstable. Therefore could not pass NICS.

Comment

• wideglidejoe
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2014

Lifelong interest in guns, as my father (WWII veteran) was a squirrel and racoon hunter, with black & tan, red bone, and blue tick hounds, in rural southern OK. I started going hunting with him when I was young enough that he carried me on his shoulders when I got tired or I couldn't keep up with him and the dogs. Shot my first squirrel when I was 6, dad held up the forearm of his .22 and instructed me to move the rear until I lined up the peep sights for a head shot (we ate everything we shot). Qualified as Expert with the M16A1 in basic in '71, Army & Army Reserves. When I got out in '79, I wasn't interested in the AR b/c all the aftermarket stuff wasn't there, or if it was, I wasn't aware of it. I've always had my bolt rifles (still do), .25-06 & .280 Remington, both in 98 Mauser action rebarreled and restocked, and Rem 700's. Thompson Center Contender's in various calibers. Lot's of S&W N frames, most of them are .41 mag. Been hunting coyotes, whitetails, mulies and antelope for 40+ yrs. I also like 1911's in 10mm and .45. I got re-acquainted with the AR in late 90's?, with a Colt LE 6920, then I built many AR's in 4 calibers, the newest, and I must admit my favorite, is the 6.5 Grendel, I have 3 in 6.5 Grendel. My favorite of those three is a 12.5" BA barreled pistol upper I built, with a Law folder and Tail hook on a 80% lower, and a Vortex 2-7X32 on it. When I have time, I'm still trying different factory ammo in it, but I'm set up to reload the 6.5 Grendel soon. I reload all the other calibers I mentioned above. After being on a waiting list for 2 yrs, this spring I joined a private gun club about 15 mins from home, so I hope to be shooting a lot more!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

My kids have recently latched onto the show, Top Shot, like white on rice. They started coloring paper plates with bulls eyes on them so they can practice with BB and pellet guns we have.

One of the episodes had Jerry Miculek teaching the competitors how to do some trick shots with a S&W revolver. I told the kids Jerry is a world-renowned speed shooter and competitor.

My oldest daughter (7) immediately spit out:

"Can he hit 10 glass balls with 5 different guns while riding a horse in 11 seconds?"

I looked over at her quizzically wondering where she pulled that out from, saying, "What?"

"Because Annie Oakley could do that."

She just finished reading a 108 page book on Annie Oakley and had been bugging me about doing some more shooting.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Randy99CL
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        My kids have recently latched onto the show, Top Shot, like white on rice. They started coloring paper plates with bulls eyes on them so they can practice with BB and pellet guns we have.

One of the episodes had Jerry Miculek teaching the competitors how to do some trick shots with a S&W revolver. I told the kids Jerry is a world-renowned speed shooter and competitor.

My oldest daughter (7) immediately spit out:

"Can he hit 10 glass balls with 5 different guns while riding a horse in 11 seconds?"

I looked over at her quizzically wondering where she pulled that out from, saying, "What?"

"Because Annie Oakley could do that."

She just finished reading a 108 page book on Annie Oakley and had been bugging me about doing some more shooting.
                        I recently watched an "American Experience" episode on Annie and was really impressed. She was one of the best shots ever and possibly the best.

Don't know if this link will work but you'll all love it. https://www.pbs.org/video/american-e...-annie-oakley/
                        "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Troutguide
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2017

Really started as a quest for a light recoil rifle to replace the old 30.06 that had me flinching when hunting deer. The howa came out about when I started looking and it made sense. Getting into an AR was only an after thought for hunting pigs, still is. I love the capability of this round with the simplicity of it too.
                          "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• FLshooter
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2019

I’m an old dog learning a new trick.Been shooting AR15 in 223.Love the AR15.When I heard about and seen fellas at my gun club w/6.5 Grendels .It sparked my interest.So I tried it and got hooked on it!

Comment

• Lowell Higley
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jun 2019

Old Dog. Medic in the Army. Spent the 80's and early 90' at Perry. Sponsored Whistler Boy teams. Used the M-1, M-14 and a bolt gun. Now, I cannot even get in my old shooting coat. Picked up my first AR and shook my head. Guy nest to me doing Across the Course had one. Could not even find the Target at 600. I think the Grendel will change things with the AR Platform.
                              I live a ways out of town. The Powers that Be are trying to close the range I go to. What Next?

Comment

• Cal
                                Bloodstained
                                • Jul 2019

Old dog, retired USAF, aircraft mech, now testing industrial gas turbines. Have always enjoyed shooting, but until recently life hadn't really left room for it. Picked up an AR due to its versatility, have since discovered Grendel. Now thinking about getting into/ learning PRS.

Comment

Working...
                                X