X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jake TN
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2019

LRRPF52, at what distance are you still get reliable expansion with the 12.5 inch with the SSTs? I know my new 12.5 upper likes the SST. Had horrible results with the 95 gr TREX on the first test loads.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Jake TN View Post
      LRRPF52, at what distance are you still get reliable expansion with the 12.5 inch with the SSTs? I know my new 12.5 upper likes the SST. Had horrible results with the 95 gr TREX on the first test loads.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lazyengineer
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

This is a great graphic, and really points out the remarkable aspect of the 6.5 Grendel in shorter length BBL's. In my own usage and assessments, I run 6.5 Grendel in AR15's. And with that, 20" is about as long as typical. And when looking at the velocity loss from a 20" down to a 14.5" BBL, it's remarkably less than you might think. Dropping only about 100 FPS. Which no doubt is why 12.5" is so popular, because that's probably right about where the inflection point is, where further cuts start getting expensive. And with that, Grendel impact energy out of a 14.5 (or 12") is remarkably good out to very practical distances. It's one of the cooler aspects of this round.

From a logic standpoint, this makes more sense the more I learn. The best way I can figure it: after about 3" of travel, most of the powder is burned, and only a little more additional gas is generated. That peak pressure and volume in the casing and little bit of barrel, is basically the "bottle" of high pressure gas that's pushing the bullet the rest of the way down the barrel. with just a little extra gas generation from additional burn.

In 6.5 Creedmoor, it's a big reservoir bottle, so can keep pushing down a longer barrel. In 6.5 Grendel, it's a shorter little casing, and so a smaller little bottle. Meaning additional barrel length doesn't buy you as much, as there's less gas in a bottle to keep pushing it. In the most extreme case, I recently discovered, of .22LR, where the gas bottle is a straight walled little .22 Casing of quite small volume, additional barrel buys you very little. I recently SBR'd an 18" .22LR BBL down to just 13", with ZERO velocity loss with 40 gr bullets (within stnd dev.), due to this. Anyway maybe everyone else recognizes that, but to me, it helps explain while shortening the barrel in a 6.5 Grendel isn't all that expensive; compared to .223, which is higher pressure and has a large bottle volume ratio compared to the bullet and barrel diameter.

Grendel is a very cool little round.
        4x P100

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
          I recently SBR'd an 18" .22LR BBL down to just 13", with ZERO velocity loss with 40 gr bullets (within stnd dev.), due to this.
          Slight change of subjects, but I've notice as well. Unless you need a longer barrel for iron sight radius, there's nothing to be gained going over 16" in a .22LR.
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
            This is a great graphic, and really points out the remarkable aspect of the 6.5 Grendel in shorter length BBL's. In my own usage and assessments, I run 6.5 Grendel in AR15's. And with that, 20" is about as long as typical. And when looking at the velocity loss from a 20" down to a 14.5" BBL, it's remarkably less than you might think. Dropping only about 100 FPS. Which no doubt is why 12.5" is so popular, because that's probably right about where the inflection point is, where further cuts start getting expensive. And with that, Grendel impact energy out of a 14.5 (or 12") is remarkably good out to very practical distances. It's one of the cooler aspects of this round.

From a logic standpoint, this makes more sense the more I learn. The best way I can figure it: after about 3" of travel, most of the powder is burned, and only a little more additional gas is generated. That peak pressure and volume in the casing and little bit of barrel, is basically the "bottle" of high pressure gas that's pushing the bullet the rest of the way down the barrel. with just a little extra gas generation from additional burn.

In 6.5 Creedmoor, it's a big reservoir bottle, so can keep pushing down a longer barrel. In 6.5 Grendel, it's a shorter little casing, and so a smaller little bottle. Meaning additional barrel length doesn't buy you as much, as there's less gas in a bottle to keep pushing it. In the most extreme case, I recently discovered, of .22LR, where the gas bottle is a straight walled little .22 Casing of quite small volume, additional barrel buys you very little. I recently SBR'd an 18" .22LR BBL down to just 13", with ZERO velocity loss with 40 gr bullets (within stnd dev.), due to this. Anyway maybe everyone else recognizes that, but to me, it helps explain while shortening the barrel in a 6.5 Grendel isn't all that expensive; compared to .223, which is higher pressure and has a large bottle volume ratio compared to the bullet and barrel diameter.

Grendel is a very cool little round.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Jake TN
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2019

Thanks. No Mules around TN. The white tail, on the large side, are 140 lbs field dressed. Most shots are within 200 yards. Wish we had mules. More meat for the work.

Comment

• KAR
                Unwashed
                • Jul 2023

Thanks. That's exactly the info I was looking for.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Jake TN View Post
                  Thanks. No Mules around TN. The white tail, on the large side, are 140 lbs field dressed. Most shots are within 200 yards. Wish we had mules. More meat for the work.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• FBOldCrow
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2023

We should all have a nice selection like LRRPF52's to choose from.
                    I'd be at the range more if I did!
                    Sweet spread sir!
                    Thanks to you all for the information as well. I guess I'll bump out to a 20" on the 6mm ARC build when funded.
                    Live life to the fullest.

Comment

Working...
                    X