• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PrecisionFirearms
    Warrior
    • Apr 2011

Gauging interest in a less expensive Grendel barrel

Precision Firearms is gauging interest in a less expensive Grendel barrel. The poll has 6 options.

1. Polygonal BHW barrel chambered by PF and available in 16 and 18 inch in True 6.5 SAAMI Grendel. Approx. $295
    2. Polygonal BHW barrel chambered by BHW and available in 16 or 18 inch. $275
    3. No interest at all in less expensive barrel.
    4. No interest in 6.5 Grendel.
    5. No interest in BHW Polygonal barrel.
    6. No interest in PF barrel.
    Polygonal BHW barrel chambered by PF in 16 and 18 inch in 6.5 SAAMI Grendel. Approx. $350 w/ bolt.
    0%
    Polygonal BHW barrel chambered by BHW and available in 16 or 18 inch. $275
    0%
    No interest at all in less expensive barrel.
    0%
    No interest in 6.5 Grendel.
    0%
    No interest in BHW Polygonal barrel.
    0%
    No interest in PF barrel. :( !
    0%

The poll is expired.

"Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

I've actually been contemplating a BHW 14.5 or 16 inch MLGS in their 'light' profile.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Michael
      Warrior
      • Jan 2012

Interested? Definitely. Able to pull trigger (excuse pun) soon? No.
      I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
      - Voltaire

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

I'm kind of saturated with Grendel Barrels at the moment and nothing against BHW, but I'd be more interested in a barrel from a new name in the game. Something like White Oak Armament or you get a SS barrel from a vendor like micromoa does and the PF name being on the barrel. I suspect both routes could be brought to market at a lower cost than BHW.

With a true SAAMI Spec chamber of course.

Actually if it was done with a reamer with a tighter tolerance that would insure a 123gr AMAX could be seated at a COL of 2.260" while being 0.020" off the lands with a tolerance of +-0.005, that'd be even better. These would probably need to be an option of additional cost, but well...
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• 65Whelen
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

My first choice, a SAAMI chamber and enough throat to load a Hornady 123 SST to max. mag. length. $350 with a bolt, that's a sweet spot in my book.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
            Warrior
            • Apr 2011

Listening!
            "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by 65Whelen View Post
              My first choice, a SAAMI chamber and enough throat to load a Hornady 123 SST to max. mag. length. $350 with a bolt, that's a sweet spot in my book.
              +1.

A Poly tube with a SAAMI chamber - what's not to like? A 16" standard contour, with a 5/8 threaded muzzle would be my choice. (I need something to go with my new matched receiver set.)
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• jurassic
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

Cerakote with milled markings so they show up after paint.

Comment

• am4966
                  Chieftain
                  • Jul 2014

After I build the 12.5" Grendel I'm wanting to build a 16-18" Grendel. At 350.00, Poly and chambered by PF what's not to like!
                  Last edited by am4966; 02-19-2015, 06:40 PM. Reason: Add text
                  12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                  Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                  Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

PF, offer some more choices. Maybe a pencil thin 16" no threads- no grenade launcher groove- - . 1-7.5- 1-8 twist .. no fluting...

Cold bore shooter, not much time at the range- cool the bbl., between a 2-3 shot string. Northern Tier hunts.

I think Drifter will back me up on this bbl.
                    Last edited by sneaky one; 02-19-2015, 11:54 PM.

Comment

• Sniper338
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2014

Polygonal rifling doesnt look or seem that great to me.. yet i have no experiance in it.. im way more partial to the 3 or 4 groove or 5r cut barrels... cut rifling like a kreiger bartlein or brux its just way better quality...

i guess my thing is quality over cheap inexpensive stuff... but it is already available so at the same time there isnt much market for a less expensive barrel and bolt combo...

to me to enter the less expensive barrel bolt combo market you are competing with the midway liberty barrel, and whatever brownells has here and there...

we all know the liberty midway barrels are crap because of the chambering... the true grendel chamber is what needs to be made not the knock offs...

For a lower end barrel... id like to see a stainless steel barrel bolt combo, no fluting nothing extra, medium weight, threaded muzzle, button rifling.. like a pacnor type barrel 18 or 20 inch....

Comment

• Buster
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2012

Mark,
                        One thing you might want to take in consideration is the demographics factor for coming out with a less expensive barrel.
                        I'm an OFWG (50+) and my shooting buddies are at least 10 years older than me that love their bolt guns. Our "clique" shoots mainly off a bench at 100 - 200 yards and are looking for one hole results. I feel fortunate that these older guys have embraced me as "the black rifle dude with the Grendel" and they have read and studied the 6.5G cartridge and embrace it, but they are disappointed that there are no bolt guns/barrels for it.
                        We are getting older by the day and need all the help we can get for shooting tight groups. We know that one-hole groups comes from a quality barrel and are willing to spend the money to achieve it.
                        A "drop-in", 6.5G, SS barrel that would fit a Remington or Savage action would do well within the circle of friends I shoot with.

I am certain there is a niche for inexpensive 6.5G barrels, but it's not for the circle of my shooting friends.

From my OFWG perspective, whoever comes out with an affordable, accurate 6.5G bolt gun will win in my circle of my friends.

Comment

• 37L1
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2015

Why such short barrels?

Comment

• PA_Allen
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

Mark,
                            I think a quality, lightweight, and carefully chambered 16" would sell very well. I have helped several folks spec out builds and most that I know are wanting to build a light and accurate carbine for deer hunting. They are not interested in dropping $500 for a top name cut rifled barrel and it has been difficult to find them to an affordable 16" barrel that I could trust.
                            Thanks for all you do for the Grendel community.
                            Best,
                            PA

Comment

• Drifter
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

I suggest 18" and / or 20" offering(s), medium profile with rifle-length gas.

FWIW, I previously had a BHW barrel chambered in 264 LBC. It was very accurate, but I just didn't like keeping brass separate from my Grendel barrels (due to the different chamber neck sizes). Sold it to a friend who is still getting good results. I would have no reservations with purchasing another BHW barrel SAAMI chambered by PF.

~$350 with bolt seems like a fair price for this level of quality.
                              Last edited by Drifter; 02-20-2015, 09:27 PM.
                              Drifter

Comment

Working...
                              X