• Show
Clear All
  • PrecisionFirearms
    Warrior
    • Apr 2011

Want your Opinion

Just sounding out for Opinions.

On the Less Expensive BHW barrels:

Do you expect the same groups as the Bartlein and Krieger Barrels?
    Same Outside Machine Finish?
    Same Overall Workmanship?

We need to know in order to adjust our processes and prices to customer expectation.

When we stayed exclusively in the $700+ Barrel range our customer satisfaction rate was 99.99%. Now with these Less Expensive BHW barrels we have 2 folks voicing some dissappointment (none for accuracy) out of 22 Shipped. That is a unacceptable satisfaction rate and we are trying to decide if these barrels are worth dragging our name down a peg. We are just about out of our batch of barrels and trying to decide whether to get more or if we need to up the cost a bit and spend more time on polish and fitting. Do we have a master do the work or the apprentice?
    Keep the BHW as a Production Grade Barrel at the same cost
    0%
    I Expect them to shoot as well as the more expensive barrels
    0%
    Up the cost by 25% and use the same process as used on More Expensive Barrels
    0%
    Increase cost by 10% and polish to the same degree as the More Expensive Barrels
    0%
    Make them 25% less expensive and chamber in the CNC lathe
    0%
    "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."
  • din
    Warrior
    • Feb 2015

What exactly are they dissatisfied with?

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
      Warrior
      • Apr 2011

One the surface finish, wasn't as polished as we would the Kreiger and Bartlein Barrels.
      The other on the way the pin on the extension was ground and the grinder touched into the finish on the Phalanx Coating on the extension.
      "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• am4966
        Chieftain
        • Jul 2014

You pay for what your getting.. I think some people are expecting 600-700.00 fit and finish on a 325.00 barrel. You could also keep the price the same and keep the other stuff as options.
        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• din
          Warrior
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
          You pay for what your getting.. I think some people are expecting 600-700.00 fit and finish on a 325.00 barrel. You could also keep the price the same and keep the other stuff as options.
          Yup. I thought the entire point was to offer a SAAMI spec chamber at a more moderate price, not a Bartlein for half off. As long as they shoot, a few minor flaws in finishing that have no effect on function are dealwithable. If they want the high polish and whatever, they can either save for the more expensive barrels or pound sand.

Comment

• badmoon692008
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2015

I don't have any experience with your other barrels, but I was very satisfied with my barrel, regardless of price. Once you factor the bargain in, I have nothing but great things to say about it. I thought finish was fine, and it shoots phenomenally, which is the important part. To be fair, I'm of the mindset that AR's are guns to be used, not a pretty looking mantle piece. That being said, I've had mine mounted on my bench since I got it put together (when I'm not shooting of course) and think it looks pretty damn good.

Edit:
            Since I got this one put together with a "budget" barrel, and I've seen how it shoots, I don't think I'd ever spend more money on a barrel because this one looks way better than I need it to, and shoots way better than I can. I don't know what more you can ask for. I'm sure I'll build another grendel down the road, and would buy this barrel again in a heartbeat for that build.
            Last edited by badmoon692008; 06-24-2015, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• 37L1
              Warrior
              • Jan 2015

If it shoots bugholes who cares what it looks like. So I guess I vote for the precision but not as pretty option if it is priced well.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                Warrior
                • Apr 2015

If you run out of these before I get a chance to buy one, I hope you order more. I personally have had no experience with the BHW or PF but everything I have heard about both has been great. I am looking forward to the day I can place my order.

I also am of the belief that my rifle is a tool. While I take care of my tools, they do get dirty and sometimes marked up when being used. I would rather have something that worked well than something pretty that I was afraid to use for fear of scratching it.

Comment

• gpsman007
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2015

Regarding BHW Barrels I have one of there barrels it is a 22" 1:8, Standard Profile, Machine Finish
                  I could not be happier with it. I have put 150 rounds through it and well I will let the barrel speak for itself

3shot.jpg

5shot.jpg

300yard.jpg
                  All of these shooting Factory Hornady Ammo.
                  It is a great barrel and the fact it is cheaper than some others
                  is a plus for the consumer. heck buy two of them
                  I think the machine finish is pretty darn good too
                  Last edited by gpsman007; 06-25-2015, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• gpsman007
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2015

20150524_075410.jpghigh polish.jpgThey offer a machine finish and a high polished finish...It is a gun barrel; shooting nat asses trumps pretty any day. dont most people put a rail over their ar barrel that covers it up anyway???? I have the machine finish and couldn't be happier with it

Originally posted by PrecisionFirearms View Post
                    One the surface finish, wasn't as polished as we would the Kreiger and Bartlein Barrels.
                    The other on the way the pin on the extension was ground and the grinder touched into the finish on the Phalanx Coating on the extension.
                    Last edited by gpsman007; 06-25-2015, 11:22 PM.

Comment

• tackdriver
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2013

I put together one of the PF 18" BHW barrels on a PF mat he'd receiver set and it shoots great, sub most all day w/factory ammo. I would and still might by another!

Comment

• am4966
                        Chieftain
                        • Jul 2014

I'd love a cut rifled barrel. But that's not feasible today or anytime soon, but if I can manage it someday. I'll be on the phone to mark for a barrel or upper!
                        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

For a $325 barrel/bolt combo, I'm not expecting miracles or performance that I do from one of the Krieger, Bartlein, or Lilja pipes.

For me, it would be getting Cerakoted anyway, so I'm not sure how much I would care about the finish.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            For a $325 barrel/bolt combo, I'm not expecting miracles or performance that I do from one of the Krieger, Bartlein, or Lilja pipes.

For me, it would be getting Cerakoted anyway, so I'm not sure how much I would care about the finish.
                            Ditto all of the above, and I wouldn't want anything shiny either. I'd be bead blasting and parkerizing/nitriding/cerakoting it anyway.
                            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• lamrith
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

I voted keep the production grade. One thing though as others have mentioned it, maybe look at rather than bare finish go nitride, or some other coating. Don't keep it bare metal and then they have no room to complain about it not being mirror polished...

I would not consider it dragging your name down, if you choose to offer a budget barrel people need to clue in and not expect a $700 barrel for $300... The shooting results are stellar based on what I see here. Reality apparently is lost on this country..
                              Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
                              18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
                              SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
                              16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
                              Anderson Pistol lower:
                              16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
                              6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

Working...
                              X