Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth leaking this article in this thread too:

Originally posted by fanofflyn View Post
    This may be the best test of steel cased ammo that I have ever seen. Huge amount of Data on .223 from four test rifles and four different ammos. I may shoot the steel stuff in my .223's at the combat courses because I can replace the barrel more easily, at least when I get ammo, and I can't collect the brass to reload. Otherwise I'm shooting brass and proper bullets. In my Grendel's I'm not sure that I want to wear out a barrel.
    http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/

Comment

• TheOTHERmaninblack
      Warrior
      • Apr 2011

I suspect that the more mainstream 6.5 becomes, the more mainstream barrel availability will be. I don't really see any reason other than pace of sales that grendel barrels should cost more than 5.56 or 7.62 barrels. Worst case scenario, a second upper for comp with a lower end (and presumably less accurate) barrel, but all else the same. Still turn out cheaper than competing at 1.25+ per round and no reloadable brass to show for it anyway.

Comment

• Castor Troy

has there been any news/development on this?

Comment

• Dogue
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Castor Troy View Post
          has there been any news/development on this?
          It's "coming soon"
          Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• rasp65
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Dogue You should have said it's still "coming soon" as it has for 10 years now. It has been one of the longest running threads on this and the previous boards.

Comment

• appleseed-kdc

Drip...drip...drip.

The sound of torture.

Comment

• hellcat370

IS IT FOURTH QUARTER YET!????? Ughhhhh

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Boy - this has lent an entirely new meaning to "Never cry 'Wolf!'". >cough<
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• appleseed-kdc

Quote Originally Posted by appleseed-kdc View Post
                    On the 10-06-2011 12:52 AM, bwaites doth spake...

" Wolf Steel Case

The day has come, Wolf Steel case will soon be available in stores everywhere! "

And all was good and there was much joy and merriment and drunken debauchery throughout the land.

But as time past, the joy turned to sadness, then sorrow and finally despair. with much mutterings and grumbles. Cats were kicked, dogs were beaten, wives were abused and there was much torment.

Oh where, for art though, is the sacred and wonderous 'steel cased ammo' the people thus spoke. Have we been forgotten, abandoned, deserted ?

And the people wept and continued to slave away for the masters hoping beyond hope that their salvation would come...

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                    It's coming, I promise, I promise!

Wolf showed it at SHOT, they've issued press releases. Unlike previously, this is Barnaul, not TULA, and the Barnaul folks took this very seriously. Initially, we believed they would run it on a 7.62x39 line, but they decided to build a complete line for 6.5 Grendel, and in addition to a dedicated line, they plan on continuous runs, to the tune of 1,000,000+ rounds/month.

It will get here, though the current market makes things even weirder. TULAmmo announced they weren't importing any 5.56/5.45 this year!

15-months later...how time flies !!!

Probably 5% of the forum members have died since this was 'announced' On the 10-06-2011 ref:-

Another 10-years, and I might not be here anymore.

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by appleseed-kdc View Post
                      Quote Originally Posted by appleseed-kdc View Post
                      On the 10-06-2011 12:52 AM, bwaites doth spake...

" Wolf Steel Case

The day has come, Wolf Steel case will soon be available in stores everywhere! "

And all was good and there was much joy and merriment and drunken debauchery throughout the land.

But as time past, the joy turned to sadness, then sorrow and finally despair. with much mutterings and grumbles. Cats were kicked, dogs were beaten, wives were abused and there was much torment.

Oh where, for art though, is the sacred and wonderous 'steel cased ammo' the people thus spoke. Have we been forgotten, abandoned, deserted ?

And the people wept and continued to slave away for the masters hoping beyond hope that their salvation would come...

15-months later...how time flies !!!

Probably 5% of the forum members have died since this was 'announced' On the 10-06-2011 ref:-

Another 10-years, and I might not be here anymore.
                      Yep, and with the Feds recent announcement that the ATF now considered any 5.56 with steel to be armor piercing, it gets even scarier. Most Russian ammo uses a copper jacketed steel core bullet, and that was what was announced for the Grendel as well. If the ATF decides that the Grendel has enough manufacturers making "pistol" versions, we'll never see steel case.

That said, the Russians have spent a TON of money developing this cartridge, so unless the ATF screws it up, we'll see it relatively soon.

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                        Yep, and with the Feds recent announcement that the ATF now considered any 5.56 with steel to be armor piercing, it gets even scarier. Most Russian ammo uses a copper jacketed steel core bullet, and that was what was announced for the Grendel as well. If the ATF decides that the Grendel has enough manufacturers making "pistol" versions, we'll never see steel case.
                        Most Russian military ammo uses steel-core bullets, like the 5.45mm 7N6 at far left in the photo below. But, the commercial ammo imported here has lead-core projectiles, as shown in the other rounds below. There is no reason that steel-cased 6.5 Grendel ammo couldn't be loaded with similarly-configured, lead-core bullets.

Considering the fact that ATF bans on such "armor-piercing handgun bullets" have long been public record, it always puzzled me that the Russians wanted to make a steel-core 6.5mm projectile. I couldn't (and still can't) help but wonder if their real interest was in using the low-cost Grendel ammo project as somewhat of a smokescreen for developing a 6.5mm military round.
                        That said, the Russians have spent a TON of money developing this cartridge, so unless the ATF screws it up, we'll see it relatively soon.
                        How many years have we been hearing that...

Comment

• THE HOLY GRAIL!!! I can almost see it! Precision Firearms is selling cheaper Grendel cases from Europe. Could our quest be within reach?

Comment

• Darn! No one bit!

Comment

• mtn_shooter

I don't think it's going to happen. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

• Looks like production Wolf steel case has started to ship. David Fortier just got a case via UPS. Ran it through his 12.5" gun, no hiccups.

100gr FMJ. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/6...O_ARRIVED.html

Comment

Working...
                                X