X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joedirt199
    Warrior
    • Jul 2015

I loaded up some 90 tnts in the wolf cases with 28.5 gr of XBR for my deer loads. Didn't get to try them but my 29 grs of XBR in brass worked good with the 90 tnt.

Comment

• Onebigelf
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2017

Has there been any indication that Wolf is going to switch to a proper size projectile?

I wonder if there is any chance of bulk primed Wolf cases?

I've been doing about the same thing that M796rider is doing, with about the same results.

John

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

The number of people that know that the bullet is undersized and prefer accuracy against dirt clod shooting at 50 yards is anemic at best.

If Wolf was to put out a different line at a slightly higher price point for a proper bullet, then that might gain some traction...say MSRP @ $.45 per round for a proper jacketed all lead construction 100 or 120 HPBT bullet at .264. They could really snag a market if they made the wanted 115 grain with a BFT sleek design for higher BC.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• TCStehle
          Unwashed
          • Mar 2018

I did a straight pull/push using Speer 90gr TNTs. I pulled the factory 100gr bullet and weighed the factory charge which was exactly 30.0gr for all 5 rounds. I then chamfered the case mouth, re-charged, seated a 90gr TNT at 2.210" and applied a light crimp using a Lee FCD. It's hard to determine the amount of crimp you're applying with the steel case but there were no marks on the case and the bullets were not deformed after crimping.

5 Shots out of a 16" BCA stainless steel barrel.

LabRadar:

Avg-2517
          High-2533
          Low-2503
          ES-29
          SD-11.7

1-2517
          2-2503
          3-2508
          4-2522
          5-2533

The factory Wolf ammo shot immediately before on the same day thru the same barrel.

LabRadar:

Avg-2520
          High-2537
          Low-2496
          ES-41
          SD-15.7

1-2502
          2-2522
          3-2496
          4-2528
          5-2520
          6-2535
          7-2537

So simply replacing the 100gr factory bullet with a Speer 90gr TNT yields roughly the same velocity but much better accuracy out of my rifle. My group size was easily less than 1/2 the size of the factory ammo and I wasn't really trying all that hard.

Hopefully someone finds this additional information useful during their Moscow Match experiments.

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

Thank you for posting your data.

I am hoping someone can managed 1moa or slightly better by doing a straight pull/push, no case prep, or charge matching. Trick is going to fine the right boat tail bullet that won't take too much damage from the case shaving off the backside.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• joedirt199
              Warrior
              • Jul 2015

I always sand the inside of the neck with some emery cloth to keep the bullet going in amooth without shaving since I don't neck size the steel case.

Comment

• Liquidmetal
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2015

I am going to dive into this as well, gonna follow m796rider's lead and use 100 gr. ELD-Ms. Straight pull/push, no case prep or charge manipulation.

Ordered the ELD-Ms this morning. Hopefully my two Grendels appreciate the effort.

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Do post your results.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Cotay
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Liquidmetal View Post
                    I am going to dive into this as well, gonna follow m796rider's lead and use 100 gr. ELD-Ms. Straight pull/push, no case prep or charge manipulation.

Ordered the ELD-Ms this morning. Hopefully my two Grendels appreciate the effort.
                    I'm curious how this went. I've got some 100gr Nosler Partitions on hand that I'm considering for a straight pull/push.

I'm also considering getting some 100gr Match Monsters from Midsouth and some 90gr TNT or Varmageddon pills.

Comment

• Grendelshooter
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2017

Comment

• Sticks
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2016

My straight up push / pull did not yield good results. Dumping and re-measuring all the powder and doing a proper load workup did. If somebody else has had any luck with the PP method, they have no posted in either Moscow Match thread.
                        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                          Chieftain
                          • Oct 2016

Sticks, did you PP with the 107s? I'd bet the pressure will be a bit high with straight push pull. I'd drop by two grains and come up .3 in a ladder to see what irons out. I'm not convinced this is a good idea as the cost now reaches .45-.50 a round.
                          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Sticks
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2016

The extra neck tension is where the issue is at I believe.

My opinion on the matter is that if one was going to devote the time to this, they need to be all pulled down, case necks expanded with a .263 neck turning mandrel, then proper load workup with the Wolf Powder and what ever pill you choose to put on top. .001 neck tension on a steel case ought to be more than sufficient. Even my first testing with the 123 ELD, I was getting some extremely accurate results at 40% the cost of Hornady Black.

However...now with American Gunner at the $.69 price mark....that makes the MM not really worth the effort unless you are really trying to get rid of some components.
                            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2014

90 grain TNT test here:

There is a term widely used for taking cheap ammo and swapping just the projectile with match or hunting grade projectiles - I will avoid using the term as my research of previous threads indicate that is a sore spot for the forum. So we will call this pull/push reloading.... Starts with the $ 5.xx per box (20 ct.) of

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                                Warrior
                                • Jan 2014

100 grain Nosler Partition here :

Today's weather was decent, 53 degrees and a 10 mph wind. The factory Wolf bullets were pulled and discarded. Rifle is an 18" barrel with a mid-length gas system and A2 full length stock. I chamfered and deburred the case mouthes and recharged the cases with my reloading scale. I also applied a heavy factory crimp

Comment

Working...
                                X