X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

I've read those Hunt, I was hoping to get some insight on the 107s.

Sticks, agreed. The .263 mandrel is definitely a good idea. The extra investments are making this more and more of an unworthy endeavor though, as prices and availability have regulated somewhat.
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by HuntTXhogs View Post
      Originally posted by HuntTXhogs View Post
      HuntTXhogs - Well done on your write-ups and results. I am going to link these to the first post on my MM threads.

Personally, anything less than .75 MOA would be a non starter for me, given that the rifle I am using will shoot sub MOA with BLACK or AG to begin with.

The hunt continues for a bullet that can be a straight Pull Push with no other work and get down to MOA or better. Not so concerned with velocity as long as it's accurate. If a velocity node is found with a sub 10 ES/SD on a straight PP, then start playing with COAL to tune the POI. Not many people are pushing the Grendel past 600 on a regular basis so the low weight class is not so much of an issue. For me, I have to be able make my 1.5 MOA target hits at 900. I need the heavies.

DNS has had awesome luck using the TNT, and your results would be something for a body looking at not having to hunt down the ejected brass, especially in the dark. I however will only allow "Lost Brass" at a range or shooting match if that be the case. .

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
      I've read those Hunt, I was hoping to get some insight on the 107s.

Sticks, agreed. The .263 mandrel is definitely a good idea. The extra investments are making this more and more of an unworthy endeavor though, as prices and availability have regulated somewhat.
      My last looking around showed that PPU was a thing again, not sure if is old recall stock that showed back up again, or if they are back. IIRC Wolf stated that they were increasing the dia. of their 100gr projectiles. Not sure if that has come through yet. Still, Wolf ammo shooting 2+ MOA is still a non starter for me as well. My doing all of this was because I bought 500 on top of another 200+ acquisition before I knew it was crap. Had to do something with it.

If Trump/Next POTUS/CorVi19 continues to be a media sensation panic thing and domestic ammo turns into another lesson in gouging or availability and Wolf was still an option and bullets were available, then I would do it again. $50+/- for a mandrel die is cheap if I am processing a 500 ct case of ammo to turn into sub MOA 123 ELD ammo.

This is also is an option if I want to push the limits on a bolt gun with a long throat and push 140s at 2600fps like Second. The steel case ought to handle the increased pressure a bit better as long as it's not splitting and plasma cutting the chamber neck and throat area.
      Last edited by Sticks; 03-04-2020, 10:13 AM.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Grendelshooter
        Warrior
        • Jun 2017

Minute of man is all I need lol.
        Hunt thanks much for those write ups! Great info!

Comment

• m796rider
          Warrior
          • Jul 2011

I have 500 of the Midsouth Shooters Supply 100gr Match Monster bullets coming in. They're supposed to be ballistic matches to the Nosler 100gr bullets.

Comment

• 1075 tech
            Warrior
            • Apr 2015

Has anyone chrono'd the Wolf in different temperatures to see how temp stable the factory powder is?

Comment

• 1075 tech
              Warrior
              • Apr 2015

Another question that came to mind... How much of a pressure difference is there between similar loads in the steel vs brass case? One would think that the steel case would have less "give" to it.

Comment

• Grendelshooter
                Warrior
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
                Has anyone chrono'd the Wolf in different temperatures to see how temp stable the factory powder is?

Comment

• 1075 tech
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2015

I'd be interested in the results. If the powder is good, I'd just dump it and do ladders. I have over 1500 of the Wolf to play with. I have some 300 of the 90 gr TNTs that I could push/pull or work up. I also have around 3 or 400 of the 129 ABLRs. The steel cases would be perfect for hunting where I likely won't recover the brass.

Comment

• Grendelshooter
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2017

I'd be interested in the results. If the powder is good, I'd just dump it and do ladders. I have over 1500 of the Wolf to play with. I have some 300 of the 90 gr TNTs that I could push/pull or work up. I also have around 3 or 400 of the 129 ABLRs. The steel cases would be perfect for hunting where I likely won't recover the brass.

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

If you read my post in the original Moscow Match thread linked in the OP, you'll see that there is nothing wrong with the powder/case/primer combo if one does load development workup after breaking down into components with a proper .264 pill.
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                        If you read my post in the original Moscow Match thread linked in the OP, you'll see that there is nothing wrong with the powder/case/primer combo if one does load development workup after breaking down into components with a proper .264 pill.
                        Poor wording on my part.

What I was referring to is the temperature sensitivity of the powder. The temperatures between the time I have for testing and actually using could be as much as 60 or 70 degrees.

Comment

• Grendelshooter
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2017

Poor wording on my part.

What I was referring to is the temperature sensitivity of the powder. The temperatures between the time I have for testing and actually using could be as much as 60 or 70 degrees.
                          Last edited by Grendelshooter; 04-13-2020, 03:20 PM.

Comment

• biodsl
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2011

I only have one small data set on this. It was a Moscow Match load of 29.3 grains of stock Wolf steel case powder under a 107SMK. Out of a 22" BHW barrel.
                            At 46 degrees the average velocity was 2716 fps. At 80 degrees it was 2744
                            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• 1075 tech
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                              I only have one small data set on this. It was a Moscow Match load of 29.3 grains of stock Wolf steel case powder under a 107SMK. Out of a 22" BHW barrel.
                              At 46 degrees the average velocity was 2716 fps. At 80 degrees it was 2744
                              A small sampling, but those numbers are encouraging. I really want to work up a 129 ABLR load for my 12" GB

Comment

• Grendelshooter
                                Warrior
                                • Jun 2017

Comment

Working...
                                X