• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your interest in designing shooting tools. What are the problems in the Hornady gauge that your gauge solves?

Comment

• mharpster
      Unwashed
      • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Klem View Post
      Hi Mike,

Thanks for your interest in designing shooting tools. What are the problems in the Hornady gauge that your gauge solves?
      Klem here a a few advantages over the Hornady Gauge and the stripped bolt method.
      The brass is mechanically locked in the chamber instead of held by hand.
      The bullet stops against the lands by means of an adjustable clutch mechanism not by "feel" such as pushing on a rod or closing the bolt.
      Measurements are taken identically to your loaded ammo with the calipers centered and square to the case head.
      No bolt disassembly/reassembly or extractor modifications required.
      No need to repeatedly move the case from the rifle to the seating die.
      Consistency. Repeatability. Adjustability. Accuracy.

Mike

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

Thanks for a good answer to Klem’s question. I am rarely that succinct.

Looking forward to seeing price and user feedback — might be useful!
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• mharpster
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2018

You're welcome. All the information is on my website deadcentersports.com. There is some user feedback on there but not a lot. I have some more feedback in emails but haven't had a chance to add it to the website yet. If you search for LTL Gauge on the accurateshooter.com forum you can find some also.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by mharpster View Post
            Klem here a a few advantages over the Hornady Gauge and the stripped bolt method.
            The brass is mechanically locked in the chamber instead of held by hand. (arguably no advantage, just different)
            The bullet stops against the lands by means of an adjustable clutch mechanism not by "feel" such as pushing on a rod or closing the bolt. (arguably not an advantage, just different)
            Measurements are taken identically to your loaded ammo with the calipers centered and square to the case head. (a simple one-time headspace measurement with a spent case which is then added to the Hornady comparator case measurement each time. Also saves having to post a spent case to you)
            No bolt disassembly/reassembly or extractor modifications required. (the Hornady gauge doesn't require a bolt)
            No need to repeatedly move the case from the rifle to the seating die. (??? - the Hornady gauge doesn't require a die)[/COLOR]
            Consistency. Repeatability. Adjustability. Accuracy. (rhetoric)

Mike
            Thanks Mike for the response.

I get that you are trying to garner sales but honestly, I'm just seeing a few differences to the same method as the Hornady gauge.

Also, with your 'Bullet Plucker' for dislodging the bullet when it jams into the lands. I just use my cleaning rod from the muzzle end.
            Last edited by Klem; 10-25-2018, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X