16" Barrel reloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seat the 75 BTHP at mag length, they aren't jump sensitive so as long as they fit the magazine they are good. I use 2.250 just to give me room to avoid a nose drag FTF and resulting alibi in rapids. I managed to shoot the entire 2011 season without a single alibi which is much different than my first two years. Be aware that if you are following Reloader 15 you may get some short stroking until you get the gas system and bolt cleaned out. They don't play nice together.
    I also shoot the 80's seated long with 23.8 grains of the XBR with great results, I'm using the 80 JLK jammed into the lands now, but have used the Sierra Match King and Hornady A-Max, plus the Berger 82 grain all seated .010" off the lands with nearly as good of results at 600 yards.

Back to Grendel stuff, I've used a guy right down the road from Pacific Tool and Gauge to chamber my Remington Model 7 and I thought he did good work. Speedy Gonzalez chambered by Panda barrel, but I don't think he does freelance work any longer, he is now the head of the NRA School of Gunsmithing at Trinidad. I have his email addy some where if you really want to contact him.
    Kevin Wyatt is the fellow that chambered my model 7 for me, here is his web site.
    Wyatt's Outdoors Cusom Rifles http://wyattsoutdoor.com/otherservic...888cb5de0e9fe9
    You will notice that he makes a bottom metal for the Remington 700 to accept AR magazines that are worth a look see.
    Bob
    Last edited by Guest; 01-10-2012, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Bob, have you played with the 75 grain AMAX? As well as the 123's shoot, I've been considering trying them.

Or do the BTHP shoot better?

What kind of velocity are you getting with XBR?

I was about to order a bunch of AMAX's until I saw your post on the BTHP.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
        Bob, have you played with the 75 grain AMAX? As well as the 123's shoot, I've been considering trying them.

Or do the BTHP shoot better?

What kind of velocity are you getting with XBR?

I was about to order a bunch of AMAX's until I saw your post on the BTHP.
        I'm getting about 2,720 out of a 20" 1:7.7" Krieger with the 23.2 grains of XBR and the 75 BTHP seated at mag length. And I get about 2,800 out of the 80 grain A-Max with 23.8 grains of XBR, seated out long, 0.015 off the lands. Both the 75 A-Max and 80 A-Max are designed to be shot seated long, single loaded for the 600 yard slow prone and won't fit an AR magazine. The 75 A-Max will sometimes stabilize out of 1:9" twist barrels and that is who mostly uses them. The 80-Amax shoots better out of all three of my service rifles which are 1:7.7 or 1:7 twist. So, it depends on your barrel twist rate, whether you want to shoot from a magazine (assuming and AR) and how far you plan to shoot. The 75 BTHP is at it's best at 300 yards and in but can be shot at 600 yards if your good at wind doping. The 75 and 80 A-Max are best at 600 yards and which one depends on your barrel twist rate.
        Bob

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Both my 5.56 barrels are 1:7 twist barrels, so no problems there, but I wondered if the AMAX's needed to be seated long, so that helps a lot.

I'm looking for something comparable to Sierra 77's, since Sierra seems to think that copper is now as valuable as gold and silver!

Thanks for the help, and it's sure glad to have you back!!

Comment

Both my 5.56 barrels are 1:7 twist barrels, so no problems there, but I wondered if the AMAX's needed to be seated long, so that helps a lot.

I'm looking for something comparable to Sierra 77's, since Sierra seems to think that copper is now as valuable as gold and silver!

Thanks for the help, and it's sure glad to have you back!!
            Then the 75 BTHP is what you want, you can get them for about $0.14 each in the 600 cartons. I use them or the 77 SMK's interchangeably. Troy Lawton who specifies and qualifies all the AMU's match ammunition components told me he has tested both bullets extensively and the Sierra's beat the Hornady's by less than a tenth of an inch aggregate group size for 200 shots at 300 yards. In other words you or I will never know the difference. I've shot my personal bests in the rapids with the 75 Hornady BTHP including a 200-14X in a registered match last year. That was also using the XBR load listed above.
            Bob
            PS another bullet to look at is the 77 Nosler Custom Competition. Nosler is really bumping up their competition presence and we get them for about $0.12 each on club buys of $2,500.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

I've looked at the Nosler, and considered it too. It looks like a great bullet, but we don't have an active club out here that I belong to that does group buys.

I've been more and more impressed with Hornady over the last couple years, and like how they have handled the newer bullets.

Comment

Bob,

For the 300 yard line, do you see an advantage using the 69gr Scenars and SMK's running fast over the 75gr and 77gr? Seems like a bullet with a significantly faster MV might beat the slower but better BC pills for the 200 and 300 lines.

Also, I read an article a while back about a guy who preferred .222 Rem in the AR15 with the 80-90gr VLD's, since I think he could mag feed that way. Don't know if he Ackleyed the system for more volume, but it seemed to be a performer in that regard.

Comment

Almost everyone has left the 69gr SMK's and Scenars in favor of the 75-77 grain bullets. The top shooters in the AMU shoot 200's with 50% or higher X counts pretty regularly at 300 yards and if there were an advantage to shooting a faster lighter bullet they would be using them even if it was only worth one X. But the reality is that the 77's just dominate.
                  The real deal at 300 is getting really good at reading mirage, most competent shooters can shoot a ten shot group smaller than the ten ring, but getting it centered is the trick, it's a real bummer when that target comes up and has ten 9's at 3:00 or 9:00 because you missed the wind call.
                  Bob

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

[snip]... I'm still wanting a Grendel bolt gun, need to figure out who to have chamber it. Suggestions?
                    I have another suggestion. . Since you are the moderator of the Grendel board we hereby nominate you to contact CZ USA and demand that they offer a CZ 527 scout rifle chambered in Grendel ASAP. Tell them the horde is waiting and we aren't a patient lot these days.LOL Tell them since they left us hanging after the whole survey thing that now they also must include a lightweight synthetic stock as well. That way those of us who are on a tight budget (or are too cheap!LOL) can get one without all of the custom work.

Anyone second the motion???
                    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                      I have another suggestion. . Since you are the moderator of the Grendel board we hereby nominate you to contact CZ USA and demand that they offer a CZ 527 scout rifle chambered in Grendel ASAP. Tell them the horde is waiting and we aren't a patient lot these days.LOL Tell them since they left us hanging after the whole survey thing that now they also must include a lightweight synthetic stock as well. That way those of us who are on a tight budget (or are too cheap!LOL) can get one without all of the custom work.

I'll second it out of principle alone... but i probably wouldn't buy one.. A good bolt gun is something I've always wanted and it would be sweet to have chambered for the grendel, but I don't think I have the will power to save up for one... I'm too busy building AR's

Comment

I'll second that. It would be a great bolt gun, lightweight, low recoil and accurate. Would make perfect first deer gun for my nephew.

Comment

so in a 16" AR with a 123gr bullet, what would be the best powder to use for accuracy?

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

Actually, I was thinking that with your pull and clout, you would be a much better candidate to make the call. Just tell them that your first order will be for 500 rifles, I'm sure that they will be happy to accomodate you!

Comment

Originally posted by Deezil View Post
                              so in a 16" AR with a 123gr bullet, what would be the best powder to use for accuracy?
                              I think the IMR8208XBR will provide the best accuracy over a wide variedty of conditions. But TAC and BLC2 have both provided similar results at given conditons.
                              Bob

Comment

any of them less temperature sensative?

Comment

Working...
                                X