• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
    That's probably more than you wanted to know but it is what I have to share.
    Bob
    And thanks for sharing! Thats got to be the best written explanation of it I've ever read. A lot of what you share should be collected and tacked into some kind of Grendel related FAQ. Even if I already know what you are writing about something, I still enjoy your explanation of things. You always say it better and I end up wondering "why didn't I say something like that".
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Thank you! I appreciate all info. Went back to the range yesterday with more 100gr TTSX, 30.5gr but shortened them up, one batch at 2.235, one at 2.225, no real noticable difference, it still throws a flyer 1.25"+ away from another. If the range isnt overly crowded today I have some nosler 120gr loaded up to try. The AA factory ammo shot about 1.5" groups also. So far the amax ammo is king in my rifle...

Comment

Ok, if anyone is following along, here is the targets...

L to R with 100gr Barnes TTSX and 30.5gr of 8208XBR
        2.35COL, 2.25COL, AA factory ammo

Todays targets with a Nosler tipped 120gr bt
        L to R
        a few misc loads I got with the upper, all 2.59COL upper group is 28gr of 8208XBR lower group is factor hornady 123gr amax, 28.5gr of 8208XBR

Finally something that works good! I still have 120gr TTSX coming to try out, but very happy with these noslers. Going to try to tweak a little more to see if I can get it any better, but Im happy with this.

Comment

these 120gr barnes ttsx sure are long! Here is one next to a nosler ballistic tip Ive been playing with..

Got a trio of them loaded at 28gr of 8208 to try next time to the range.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

There are 3 bullets that virtually everyone seems to be able to get to shoot very well:

Nosler BT's, both the 120, and especially the 100 grain weights.

123 AMAX's.

120 Sierra SMK's.

Quite a few people find that factory 123 Lapua's shoot well, and I've been able to get them to shoot a little less than 1 MOA, but never as tight as those others.

Comment

Lapua, the AA ones?

Im a barnes fan, so I just have to try to get some of them to work, not sure when Ill get to the range next, hopefully I can leave early from work this week and get there before the place gets crowded.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Deezil View Post
                Lapua, the AA ones?

Im a barnes fan, so I just have to try to get some of them to work, not sure when Ill get to the range next, hopefully I can leave early from work this week and get there before the place gets crowded.
                Yes on the Lapuas.

I've had better luck with the lighter Barnes so far as accuracy goes. I was loading the 120 TSX's a year, or maybe more, before Alexander started. He had seen problems with getting any accuracy out of the old X bullets, and when I told him I had good luck with the 120 TSX's, and then several others told him the same, he started working on a factory load and got them shooting well.

That said, I've had a little better accuracy results with the 100 grain TTSX's. I can get them down in the .5 MOA range, while the 120 TSX's typically shoot 1 MOA. 1 MOA is more than good enough for any hunting I do, so I didn't worry about that.

Comment

I think I have a fussy barrel, the 123's didnt do any better in mine than anything else. Got a handful of things to try yet before Im done playing with loads, a couple more range days and Ill be ready to rock. I have been taking it coyote hunting, just have yet to get one in a spot that I can take a shot, seen two this morning but things just werent right..

Comment

ok, went to range today, nothing really made it any better. A .2gr lighter load didnt do any better, the barnes 120 ttsx didnt do any better, shortening up the COL didnt make it any better either. It likes them long, and loves the noslers, even the wife was getting bullets close together on the target!

Comment

1/2" group today... It loves the noslers.

Comment

ok, 120gr nosler balistic tips, 28gr of 8208XBR, 16" barrel, (2)2488-(1)2500 FPS

Comment

What's your distance from muzzle to chrono screen?

Comment

6-7'ish. Manual said 5-12'

Comment

You might want to look into Optimal Barrel Time and Optimal Charge Weights. Looks like you found one with 8208 and the 120gr NBT's. I came across these concepts recently, and I'm looking at reloading from a totally different perspective now.

Since the 16" barrels are relatively short, the longitudinal shock wave travels back and forth in them from chamber to muzzle to chamber to muzzle much faster, so the OBT's are narrower than on a longer barrel.

This is making me think that bullets aren't the deciding factor in this, as long as they are of equal diameter to each other and have concentric construction as to the jacket and core.

I don't have Quick Load, so I'm not sure if I will buy it or what, but I need to determine the OBT values and recommended loads before going further.

I have been able to get 2537fps with the 120gr SMK's IIRC. Definitely 2520fps.
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2012, 06:36 PM.

Comment

never heard those terms before, Ill have to look that info up. I didnt expect that kind of FPS out of my 16" barrel, loads are definately not showing any hot signs, and shoot great. Wish it was with the barnes instead, but this will save me some money I guess.

And incase anyone was curious, I was shooting at a gong 400yds behind that chrony The video didnt turn out as good as I had hoped so no vid

Comment

Working...
                                X