X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea on BC?

Comment

• Ok, back home now. I had some 85gr Hollow Points and a 123gr HPBT in a package from one of you, just can't connect the name to your screen name, but thanks all the same. I'm not sure if the 123gr you sent is a SMK or Scenar.

Rasp65, did I send you my details for shipping?

I got the line-up from Lapua, so I'll place those for the photograph.

BC data for the new 120gr Lapua Scenar-L will be available later this fall, after doppler radar testing is done. It doesn't look as aerodynamic as a 123gr Scenar to me, and my understanding is they wanted a bullet that was easy to shoot accurately right away, rather than having to play with seating depth. The Lapua's usually shoot really well for me right off the bat, but I think they really wanted a great-shooting pill for the 300m & 600m lines.

Berger has tackled this with the hybrid long-range pills, where from the bearing surface to ogive, you have a barely perceivable tangential curve, then a secant ogive for aerodynamics, with the aim of getting the best of both worlds: easy seating depth loading, and long-range accuracy.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Welcome home LRRPF52!

Comment

• Von Gruff
          Chieftain
          • Apr 2012

This is a good simple explanation of the tangental and secant ogive differences and how the hybrid uses both.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
          Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• I also received a package from Drifter today, with a bunch of bullets I didn't have. The list grows and grows...

I now also have:

85gr Sierra Varminter
            100gr Barnes TTSX
            107gr SMK Moly
            130gr Accubond
            140gr Nosler Custom Competition
            140gr Hornady SST

100gr Lapua FMJ
            100gr Scenar
            120gr Scenar-L
            Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2012, 12:18 AM.

Comment

• BjornF16
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Any chance you could post a 140's pic?
              LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
              Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Here's where we're at right now:

85gr-108gr on bottom

120gr-130gr middle row

140's are on top. I can do an individual 140gr class line-up, with a scale to show length.

Hunting bullets are all on the left, and target bullets all on the right...

I also plan to do a hunting bullet only spread, as well as target bullet. This pic represents maybe half of the 6.5mm projectiles available, to the best of my search abilities so far. There are still plenty more on the spreadsheet that I don't have yet.
                Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2012, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• michaelmew

I could add some labels or legend or something in Photoshop off to the side if you'd like, once you are finished. Just let me know.

-mm

Comment

• Originally posted by michaelmew View Post
                    I could add some labels or legend or something in Photoshop off to the side if you'd like, once you are finished. Just let me know.

-mm
                    Thanks. I'm thinking about a board mount with wood for the final photos, and I just took these photos to give an idea of where we're at with collecting the projectiles for a picture. I think it would be helpful for the final to list BC & length for hand-loaders.

Hanka,

Your inbox is full.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                      Chieftain
                      • Apr 2012

You are certainly putting a lot of effort in for the rest of us and it really is apreciated. As well as the information you have already indicated you will attach, I wonder how much extra it would be to list the base to ogive length with the oal and BC. That would give a full picture for much annalisys (sp)
                      http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                      Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• michaelmew

So where are these on the chart? I see 123 A-Max & 120 G-Max, but not 120 A-Max. Am I missing something?

2012-07-13 09.17.22.jpg

-mm

Comment

• I had purposely left it off since it needs to be seated so deeply, but I just added it. There is no reason to use the 120gr AMAX since we have the 123gr AMAX, specifically meant for the Grendel, and with a higher BC. Same goes for the .260 Rem and larger cases now that the 123gr AMAX can do better, unless you have a ton of them lying around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post
                            You are certainly putting a lot of effort in for the rest of us and it really is apreciated. As well as the information you have already indicated you will attach, I wonder how much extra it would be to list the base to ogive length with the oal and BC. That would give a full picture for much annalisys (sp)
                            I originally wanted to do OAL, and some of them have mfg's OAL listed. I think Quick Load has most of this data for most of the pills, but not all. It would be a bit of an undertaking, but doable if bitten off in chunks. The Soft Point projectiles can have significant variance in OAL, let alone the HPBT's.

I do see how the OAL and Base-to-Ogive length would be beneficial to hand-loaders who know the chamber dimensions, and are looking for projos to work with after working out load density and other data with the powders they are using.

Comment

• michaelmew

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                              There is no reason to use the 120gr AMAX since we have the 123gr AMAX....unless you have a ton of them lying around.
                              That sucks. I have some lying around.

-mm

Comment

• They'll make fine plinkers because they will shoot well, even if slightly slower than the 123.

Now, if you have a buddy with a 6.5x55, 260 Rem, 6.5 Creemoor, .264 Magnum, etc. you might be able to work a trade.

Comment

Working...
                                X