• Apr 2020

Originally posted by tlen View Post
    H335 does it all.
    Yup H335 and CFE223 !

Comment

• Mark611
      Warrior
      • Feb 2017

Well Jim, I have some H335 I have not tried yet from my rifle with a 18'' 1&8 twist, what rifle barrel length and twist are you running and what's your load for the H335? and what kind of numbers are you getting with what bullet? if you don't mind me asking, or anybody else who want to share

Comment

• trubulator
        Warrior
        • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Mark611 View Post
        Well Jim, I have some H335 I have not tried yet from my rifle with a 18'' 1&8 twist, what rifle barrel length and twist are you running and what's your load for the H335? and what kind of numbers are you getting with what bullet? if you don't mind me asking, or anybody else who want to share

I hunted this year with a 123 grain SST out of a 20" barrel doing 2400 FPS. Load was 27.4 grains of H335 and OAL was 2.245".

Comment

• Turpentine
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2022

Comment

• Mark611
            Warrior
            • Feb 2017

If your only getting 2400fps from a 20'' my 18'' will be a lot slower, I'm getting 2450fps ave with 120gn ELDM"s Shooter World Match Rifle, with 29.4gns, and getting just under 2400fps with 123gn ELDM's with A2520, with 29.4gns and low 2420's with SWMR my next trip to the range I plan to run the A2520 @29.6gns to see how it preforms, these loads were shot with 120gn ELDM"s 123gn ELDM's and shot 1.5'' groups @100yds, tho not super impressive groups at 100yds yet, but I plan to tweak my seating and crimp on my bullets to see if I can improve upon my group size, but IMO for a gas gun {AR} that's not bad groups at all JMO and my barrels are still not copper fouled or seasoned quite yet, The reason I asked about the H335 is I have about 6lbs of it and have not tried this powder at all out of anything, I originally purchased this powder for my 5.56 AR's Thought it might work in the Grendel, I have also been reading some info about RL15 powder being comparable to SWMR powder? anybody got any info on that? if so what are you loading in the Grendel? I know velocity is not everything, but I would like to over 2400fps from my 18'' barrel with decent accuracy!
            Last edited by Mark611; 01-10-2023, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• vaguru
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2022

Mark,

What COL are you using with the 120 ELDM's, at what length do they touch leade/rifling?

Comment

• Harpoon1
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
                Isn't that what Federal uses with their TNT 90 Preditor load, which gives pretty great velocity? It's an older and not sexy powder, but really, not a bad choice at all.
                Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-11-2023, 01:14 AM.

Comment

• trubulator
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2022

If your only getting 2400fps from a 20'' my 18'' will be a lot slower, I'm getting 2450fps ave with 120gn ELDM"s Shooter World Match Rifle, with 29.4gns, and getting just under 2400fps with 123gn ELDM's with A2520, with 29.4gns and low 2420's with SWMR my next trip to the range I plan to run the A2520 @29.6gns to see how it preforms, these loads were shot with 120gn ELDM"s 123gn ELDM's and shot 1.5'' groups @100yds, tho not super impressive groups at 100yds yet, but I plan to tweak my seating and crimp on my bullets to see if I can improve upon my group size, but IMO for a gas gun {AR} that's not bad groups at all JMO and my barrels are still not copper fouled or seasoned quite yet, The reason I asked about the H335 is I have about 6lbs of it and have not tried this powder at all out of anything, I originally purchased this powder for my 5.56 AR's Thought it might work in the Grendel, I have also been reading some info about RL15 powder being comparable to SWMR powder? anybody got any info on that? if so what are you loading in the Grendel? I know velocity is not everything, but I would like to over 2400fps from my 18'' barrel with decent accuracy!
                  My load for H335 was well under max. It just happened to be the accuracy load for my barrel. You might well be able to use a heavier charge with good accuracy.

Comment

• biodsl
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2011

That's what I use, though admittedly I don't shoot these often. 31.4 is about max in my barrel.
                    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Remington Jim
                      Bloodstained
                      • Apr 2020

Comment

• Mark611
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2017

I do not remember what the Jam length was with the 120gn ELDM in my AR, the 120 and 123gn ELDM's I load to 2.260 or mag length, IIRC I still had plenty of jump to the lands, I believe it was over 20K+, nothing for me to worry about, I took the measurement from my 24'' Sanders upper, I have not done a OAL to the Jam on my 18'' barrel yet, but 2.260 is as far out as I can set the bullets out, this measurement is a safe length and works with all the different magazines I have and it's the OAL most used in the info I use to load in a AR plat from, I hope this helps

Comment

• Stugotz
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2019

I've been using H335 with great effect.
                          Speed is Fine, Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.
                          I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog!
                          Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%

Comment

• Sinclair
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2018

I am curious, is anybody comparing OBT and the muzzle velocity that produce the smallest groups? I ask because something around 2409 theoretically should produce the best groups out of 24's inch barrels. Awhile back, a forum member sent to me a program that converted OBT to muzzle velocity. After running many variations, I came up with optimal MVs for my CZ 527 w/25.6 inch barrel at 2409, 2543, 2791, 2971 fps. I have not had an opportunity to verify any of these so I am asking the forum members what have they found to correspond between MV and small groups. If the concept of OBT is true, it would possibly simplify load development, especially when we have to substitute powders during this time of shortages. Anyone have comments on this?
                            "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
                            Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
                            Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• Mark611
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2017

JMO here, accuracy nodes can be achieve at anywhere along the powder charge range, if you have a bullet and powder that your barrel likes? and have all your brass prep set up correctly and a seating depth that has a correct jump to the lands, Bolt actions can be tune easier IMO compared to a gas gun, the only thing that will restrict you is magazine length, My custom built 308win bolt gun I can seat the bullets out as long as I like it's a detachable AICS magazine, and the rifle likes the 175gn SMK's and they like to be 10k off the Jam length, My 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun I can set the bullets out as long as I like, I started off at 10k off the Jam, but the accuracy node didn't start to come in until I set the 147gn ELDM at 29k off the Jam length, it's also a detachable AICS mag gun, IMO the longer 6.5mm bullets tend to like a longer jump to the lands, the 6.5mm 123gn ELDM's are longer then my .308 175gn SMK's, that said, IMO is why they like a longer jump in some rifles, the 6.5mm bullets, Powder charges are about barrel harmonics, when you figure out how to put a combination together of all these factors, then you should start seeing your accuracy, JMO

Comment

• Constitutionalist
                                Warrior
                                • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Stugotz View Post
                                I've been using H335 with great effect.
                                I've been starting to work with it, too. 31.0gr with the 90gr Varm is a sweet spot in one of my rifles. Experimenting now with 126gr cast and and Sierra 120PHs. Not as fast as IMR8208 but much more available.

John

Comment

Working...
                                X