X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scrape hunter
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2019

8208 or tac both are excellent powders for the grendel ....

Comment

• Zeneffect
      Chieftain
      • May 2020

I have had excellent success with staball match with 123 and 105s... especially with the 105s. It's like shooting a little laser. I bet it would do decent with 120gr sierras as well
      Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-14-2024, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• MachV
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2018

Used to be XBR and ARCOMP but I aint paying 60 bucks a lb fer the $#!+. Tac and 2230c getter done almost as good and they where bought for 60 bucks a keg....or less

Comment

• johnnybarbar
          Unwashed
          • Nov 2023

CFE223 tuned around max book loads with 123 and 129 tipped bullets works for me. I limit my shooting to around 300 yds for bullet performance on game and moderate SDs aren't a big issue at those ranges. Pressures have safe margins for those warmer days but I never shoot much outside of fur and deer season so that's really not an issue either. IIRC the CFE I picked up a couple months back was $37/lb which is decent these days when it loads about 230 rounds/lb. I understand why a lot of guys shy away from it ...especially if they shoot in the hotter climates.
          Last edited by johnnybarbar; 01-17-2024, 01:58 AM.

Comment

• Mark611
            Warrior
            • Feb 2017

I have a question about TAC, I have a bunch of TAC, and I have not done much load development with it in the 6.5GRR, I'm running an 18'' 1&8 and would like to keep using the 120 or 123gn pills, anybody have a decent load they want to share?

Comment

• natebonebusta
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2022

Originally posted by Mark611 View Post
              I have a question about TAC, I have a bunch of TAC, and I have not done much load development with it in the 6.5GRR, I'm running an 18'' 1&8 and would like to keep using the 120 or 123gn pills, anybody have a decent load they want to share?

Comment

• Mark611
                Warrior
                • Feb 2017

Ok, thank you, what kind of velocities are you getting?

Comment

• natebonebusta
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2022

Ok, thank you, what kind of velocities are you getting?

Comment

• Mark611
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2017

Thank you for the info! I will not be using TAC, I get way better numbers with other powders I have, I'll use the TAC for my 223/5.56 loads, my Grendel's are in AR platforms,

Comment

• Fshaw
                      Unwashed
                      • Nov 2023

Since 8208 is difficult to find, if you were going to pick a powder for accuracy with 130 ish grain bullets, what would it be? I have no concers about velocity, it will be adequate for what I want to do.

Thanks.

Frank

Comment

• SDW
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2018

Thank you for the info! I will not be using TAC, I get way better numbers with other powders I have, I'll use the TAC for my 223/5.56 loads
                        I'm curious why you asked about TAC if you'd already ruled it out, sounds like?

FWIW, I like TAC in both 5.56 and 6.5g. Accuracy and velocity wise it's very close to A2520, at least with my barrel. 20" BA, Stainless DMR profile. I'm not trying to change your mind. I just like A2520 slightly better and will probably also reserve my TAC powder for 5.56.

TAC best group. 28.2 gr under a Hrdy 123gr ELD:

TAC_best_group.jpg

I'm not the most experienced guy here, but I'd call this a sub-MOA load. 2467 fps average. 10.2 SD, which isn't bad.
                        Last edited by SDW; 01-24-2024, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• DIANEB
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2020

I posted some of my 100 yard targets with TAC powder here...

For some reason TAC powder has been preforming very good for me... It works great with 3 different bullets... Sierra 123 SMK, Barnes 120 Match Burners,and the Hornady 120 ELD-M... I loaded all of them with 27.7 grains of TAC CCI 450's... I trimmed all to 1.510 inches and seated to 2.260 inches... I'm happy with 1 inch groups

Comment

• SDW
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2018

^^^ Now those are some nice groups. I wonder if your OAL being kinda long (2.260"?) really makes a difference. I honestly haven't concerned myself with it in my loads so far. Mine fit in the mags, just barely, and that's what I've cared about. I load mine to just a hair under 2.250" maybe? I'd have to look at what I wrote on the box. I know that it's not really about the OAL, but about the length at the ogive and all that. I don't want to turn this into a discussion about ogives and lands and such.

Not that I'm super proud of this group below, but it shows the potential of AA2520 in my 20" DMR barrel. Same bullet 123gr ELDs as above, same cases, Hornadys I think. Rem 7-1/2 primers, which is all I use for my "precision" Grendel loads.

A lot of the groups I shot with the 2520 workup strung out a bit vertically like this. I attributed this to holding my stock a little bit too loose that morning after having shot a while. I shoot prone off a bipod, just wearing a tee shirt, and my shoulder was starting to get a little tender by this time. Even with just a Grendel. I think I began to lose my consistent hold.

But anyway... Ave. velocity of this load (29.6 gr) was 2462 fps. SD was a little tighter at 8.9. This 5-shot group is less than 1/4" wide. Vertically it's just over 1 inch, which I attribute at least partly to my sloppy hold, like I said. I think it's got potential. Enough that I have 50 more rounds of 123 ELDs loaded up with 29.5 gr of AA2520 to try, as soon as I can get back out to the desert.

AA2520_best_group.jpg

Comment

• grendelnubi
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Fshaw View Post
                              Since 8208 is difficult to find, if you were going to pick a powder for accuracy with 130 ish grain bullets, what would it be? I have no concers about velocity, it will be adequate for what I want to do.

Thanks.

Frank
                              I personally would pick LVR first to try, then CFE223, and finally ARComp. BLC will work if you have it and so will AA2520.

I have ran LVR out of a bolt Grendel with 140 grain fusions and they shoot great and have the highest velocity of any other powder I have tried.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                                Warrior
                                • Mar 2018

Since pillar bedding my grendle is very mild manored. Most loads shoot well. Some really stellar but with differrent bullets.

RL15 has not been mentioned much. Its a awesome powder in both AR & Bolt W/123 sst.

120 GD likes 2200, 2230, Bench Mark & ARComp.

LWT bullets have been rougher. But 2230 & 2200 seem to be great.

If one was all I could use. It would be rl15 or AR-Comp.

CW

Comment

Working...
                                X