X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cceckhoff58
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2021

If I was shooting an AR I would favor TAC or X-Terminator. Lower cost, good performance and availability. For a target shooter which is a rare animal amongst Grendel shooters I want a short cut stick powder. 8208 has poor availability. N133 produces greater velocity.

Comment

• Mark611
      Warrior
      • Feb 2017

Yea, I have been loading a lot of ball powders lately for my 6.5Grr and 308win M1A, and I'll say it's not like loading stick powder, I just picked up an 8LB keg of AR comp to try, then I found another powder That's available the A2495, I'm looking for powders that will work for all the calibers I load for, the 2495 has good temp stability and will work in my 223/5.56 Wylde and 6.5GRR and my M1A 308/7.62nato NM rifle and my bolt gun in 308win, The 2495 looks to be promising for all, my pet powders are not around and if you find them their $375 or more for an 8LB keg, which has led me to look for other powders, The pet powders I have I will not use unless there's no other powders out there and then they will be used sparingly, just a bunch of BS for us reloaders

Comment

• Zinkin
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2022

Originally posted by trubulator View Post
        I never seem to be at the right place at the right time for 8208.

Really, I should probably just stop trying to chase velocity, etc. With a 335-based SST load I had no problems killing a large doe at over 300 yards last month. It only chrono'd 2400 FPS out of a 20 inch barrel, but when the bullet hit the chest cavity she went down on the spot like she had been struck by lightning. I have good loads with TAC and 335 and these bullets. Maybe that is good enough.
        Unless you are benchrest/long range shooting, there is no need to chase velocity only repeatable accuracy, even if you are doing that, slowing it down will often times give you stellar performance. When I am getting weird grouping I slow it down and can often times get them into a ragged hole. That doe you shot at 300 is the proof....What else do you need?

Comment

• Zinkin
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2022

One of the problems of getting a steady supply of 8208 is because it is mfg. in Australia, then packaged here in the states....

Comment

• Zeneffect
            Chieftain
            • May 2020

staball match is not bad for the 123s. not the fastest, def not the slowest either. decent accuracy, powder availability, temp stability.

Comment

• Remington Jim
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2020

Last edited by Remington Jim; 01-12-2024, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• Fess
                Warrior
                • Jun 2019

Originally posted by cceckhoff58 View Post
                If I was shooting an AR I would favor TAC or X-Terminator. Lower cost, good performance and availability. For a target shooter which is a rare animal amongst Grendel shooters I want a short cut stick powder. 8208 has poor availability. N133 produces greater velocity.
                FWIW, ancient Grendel History: "On March 6, 2006, Arne Brennan achieved a witnessed 1.198 inch 5 shot group at 660 yards using the Lapua 108 Scenar Projectile with N133 powder... no voodoo or black magic powder / bullets there."
                It must be noted though, that Arne was using a custom bolt gun and running at well above SAAMI pressures.

Comment

• Mark611
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2017

This an old post, but I will say since its original posting I have learned a few things about loading for my AR Grendel's, I started off with a 24'' 1&8 barrel, my goal was to have a target/longer ranger shooter, then I purchased an 18'' 1&8 upper, shooting Factory ammo for me was not my goal, I'm a hand loader, I struggled with getting good performance with velocity and accuracy from my 2 at the time uppers, I tried to get at least 2450fps with decent accuracy, I tried about 9 different powders and tried to make the Hornady 120 and 123gn ELDM's to shoot, no luck, so I purchased some 120gn SMK's with 27.1gn of AR Comp, Bingo! I found what I was looking for, my 18'' 2495 ave, SDs in the 7's 2545 ave out of my 24'' SDs of 7's 3/4'' groups @200m 1.5'' form my 18'' and could be better with a reticule that's not a horseshoe dot that cover up my bull's eye @200m. also IMO the 24'' tube is not worth the 50fps difference in velocity compared to the nimble ness of my 18'' rifle! I recently purchased a few new 18'' 1&8 barrels so I'll probably making my 24'' to an 18'',

Comment

• treed
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jul 2016

8208 for me also. Like the temp stability and i have a boatload which helps too.

Comment

• trubulator
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Zinkin View Post
                      Unless you are benchrest/long range shooting, there is no need to chase velocity only repeatable accuracy, even if you are doing that, slowing it down will often times give you stellar performance. When I am getting weird grouping I slow it down and can often times get them into a ragged hole. That doe you shot at 300 is the proof....What else do you need?
                      Well, the two I shot with Grendel last month were with an ABLR chrono'd at just over 2200 FPS, so clearly velocity is not everything.

Comment

• tdbru
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2019

Zeneffect,
                        I was going to ask if anyone here had given Winchester StaBall Match a try. Just a bit faster burning than CFE223 and supposed to have a copper reducing agent and be temp stable. Looks like a reasonable burn rate for 120 - 130 gr. in the Gr. How extensively have you worked with StaBall Match?
                        -tdbru

Comment

• grendelnubi
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Fess View Post
                          FWIW, ancient Grendel History: "On March 6, 2006, Arne Brennan achieved a witnessed 1.198 inch 5 shot group at 660 yards using the Lapua 108 Scenar Projectile with N133 powder... no voodoo or black magic powder / bullets there."
                          It must be noted though, that Arne was using a custom bolt gun and running at well above SAAMI pressures.
                          We have our own Arne Brennan, we call her Diane..... Like to see what she could do at 660 yards.....

Comment

• G34
                            Unwashed
                            • Jun 2020

Originally posted by tlen View Post
                            H335 does it all.
                            Agree.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Here is a thread on Staball Match powder results. Not much discussion on Staball Match as it was only released in 2022-2023.

Anyone got the inside scoop? https://shop.hodgdon.com/winchester-staball-match/ Wondering where this lands in the burn rate charts. The description is appealing

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                                Warrior
                                • Sep 2023

There seems to be a few good powders that are tried and proven. For me, H335 is a plus as I had about 6 lbs. on hand.

In general, 6.5 Grendel uses most of the common powders used in 5.56 and 308, 2 cartridges I reloaded for in the past,
                                unlike 300 blackout and 8.6 blackout which use a faster burning powder.
                                From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

Working...
                                X