X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zeneffect
    Chieftain
    • May 2020

I would be inclined to say you are closer to 2600fps at 28gr w/ 18" barrel. if you can, take the same load and shoot it again 100 yards further and note the moa shift. you can take that info and put it into a ballistics calculator to get a idea of speed.

Comment

• ocharry
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2022

that is a good idea for sure... i do need to shoot the gun in a colder temp than it was sunday...was having some ejection problem with the hornady 95gr bullets in the colder temps but i may have got that working so i will streach it back to 100 and see what happens

ocharry

Comment

• jasper2408
        Warrior
        • Jan 2019

What are the temps where you are shooting your tests Zeneffect?

Comment

• Zeneffect
          Chieftain
          • May 2020

@jasper2408

low 50s.

Think it's time to push higher to 33.2gr. Rather than use arbitrary load length of 2.275 I'll sit .030 off the lands at 2.325. The extra case capacity might get me there. Add a crimp and I'll be close to what I want out of this. Might switch to br4 primers as a last step and rework the last .3gr to see if I can squeeze that last few fps without going over.

Having no reference data makes load development a longer more expensive process than I care for honestly. If this does what I think it will, I'm done and calling it good.
          Last edited by Zeneffect; 03-11-2023, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
            Chieftain
            • May 2020

I have the next set loaded, will test Tuesday as I don't think I'll be lucky enough to get it done tonight.

Power Pro Varmint
            30.9-31.8gr in .3 steps
            2.275 coal, no compression noted when seating.
            Lapua brass, vld chamfer, annealed
            Cci 41

Also revisiting 32.5gr of staball match. Trying 5x with crimp and cci 41s, 5x with br4, 5x with br4 and crimp.

Comment

• Zeneffect
              Chieftain
              • May 2020

br4 and crimp did nothing

PPV was very interesting. have chrono data, will share once I pull it. Just shy of 2850fps average at 31.8gr.

Edit

22" barrel, but switched to a uintah bolt action upper. Either at or over pressure for ar15 platform I would imagine. Primers starting to look a little flatter than I would like to continue much further.
              Last edited by Zeneffect; 03-15-2023, 01:29 AM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                Chieftain
                • May 2020

Low to high is right to left. Need to buy another few hundred of these pills as I think ramshot tac might be pretty good too and I'd like to continue testing.
                Last edited by Zeneffect; 03-15-2023, 01:48 AM.

Comment

• jasper2408
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2019

My figures show you have to be in the 2830fps MV area to get 1750fps at 550 yds with the 105gr. Looks like you got there with PPV powder.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2020

Blue collar reloading still has these in stock. Just ordered another 400. ramshot tac next. 2520 might get interesting as well but its probably a bit too slow.
                    Last edited by Zeneffect; 03-17-2023, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2020

Maybe I shouldn't change a thing. Accuracy is better than good out past 500 yards. Ran the 31.8gr ppv load at 2.275coal. Did not disappoint at all (have video)

Things to note were the green tip left a green spot on the steel. First time I've experienced this so it was interesting. Repeated shots on the same steel would make exact point of impact easy to identify... look for green dot.

They seem to basically explode on impact, and don't leave much of a mark. Might get hard to see at 1000

I'm beginning to think these bullets are just accurate, powder choice seems to not matter much except to determine desired velocity. These blitzkings might be easier to find a good load than the 120smk.
                      Last edited by Zeneffect; 03-19-2023, 03:47 AM.

Comment

• jasper2408
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                        Maybe I shouldn't change a thing. Accuracy is better than good out past 500 yards. Ran the 31.8gr ppv load at 2.275coal. Did not disappoint at all (have video)

Things to note were the green tip left a green spot on the steel. First time I've experienced this so it was interesting. Repeated shots on the same steel would make exact point of impact easy to identify... look for green dot.

They seem to basically explode on impact, and don't leave much of a mark. Might get hard to see at 1000

I'm beginning to think these bullets are just accurate, powder choice seems to not matter much except to determine desired velocity. These blitzkings might be easier to find a good load than the 120smk.
                        One thing you might have to do is lower your load in hot weather since you developed this load in 50deg temps and it looks like it is on the ragged edge of hotness(load a little hot). I don't have PPV powder in QL or GRT so can't figure out the powder load differences between 100deg and 10deg and keep the same velocity. I did figure out data for a few other powders and they were all about .16gr difference up or down for every 10deg difference in temps. Less powder in hot temps. I have not tested the data so work up the loads at your own risk.
                        Last edited by jasper2408; 03-20-2023, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• Huckleberry75
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2018

Anyone tried these with IMR8208?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

8208XBR would be the fist powder I would use, followed by AR-Comp under the 105gr Blitzking.

8208XBR under the 107gr SMK is one of the most ideal combos for 6.5 Grendel.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Zeneffect
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2020

My 8208 supply is down to the last 2#. I can't afford to experiment with it. Shoots the 120gr mk too well and I have 400 of those bullets left. If there is a good source lmk
                              Last edited by Zeneffect; 03-24-2023, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• CoyoteConquest
                                Unwashed
                                • Jan 2021

I shot some today with H335 and H322.
                                H335 shot awesome right at 30 gr.
                                H322 shot awesome at 27.3.
                                Both were under MOA with a 20" Faxon group buy barrel.

I made a thread. I'm not sure how I didn't see this one

Comment

Working...
                                X