X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zeneffect
    Chieftain
    • May 2020

I shot a ping pong ball with one and hit the nail/post in the center. The ping pong ball went poof as shrapnel flew out of the back of it leaving only 2/3 of the ball remaining.

If I extrapolate this to large game hitting a bone... seems like a bad combination. These things grenade and nobody likes eating lead

Comment

• ocharry
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2022

Jake...i have no doubt in my mind this 105 bullet is a killer....just not a deer killer..well let me rephrase that...im sure it has the potential to kill a deer...just like the 556 amax....the bullet is to thin skinned and to explosive for my taste on deer....like i said it could work if placed in the right spot at a longer distance....i just dont want to chance it...i like to see a pass through with internal damage instead of explosive shallow damage

now if sierra would make this 105 like the 130 gamechanger, now we could have a really good grendel bullet...i think.....leave the bullet exactlly the same except change the skin on it...a little tougher.... i guess you could use the 130 in the grendel but im not sure you could get the velocity up enough to make it work good...i use it in my creedmoor and it works really good....but not sure if you could get the velocity with a grendel....maybe...i might have to check this out...lol

ocharry

Comment

• Zeneffect
        Chieftain
        • May 2020

Anyone try this with blc2 yet? Getting the itch for some speed and blc2 looks like a winner per some simulations. I'm running out of ppv sadly and need to move on.

Comment

• cceckhoff58
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2021

The Sierra BK is performing great for BR shooting under my conditions. I load them with 26.0 gr of N133, velocity is 2550. Barrel is a 22 inch PacNor, 9 twist, 3 groove. I recently shot 16 5-shot groups at 200 yards. These were all the same rounds. Nine groups were 20-32 mm - small enough for every POI to hit a one-inch 10 ring. Of the other seven groups none was larger than 56 mm, just over 2 inches.

Comment

• Cutback
            Unwashed
            • Jun 2023

I'm also finding N133 to work well for me. 20" Aero upper, accuracy was showing up with once fired Hornady Brass bumped .003", 27.7gr N133, cci 450, col-2.286, velocity- 2640 fps @ 12' and 62*.
            Loads were safe and just starting to show slight primer flattening but, edges still completely round.
            Initial groups 3-shot groups were in the mid 3's with 4 shot groups in the 4's. (100 yds)
            I have another test, loaded up to start 5 and 10 shot groups. Haven't yet started with seating depth adjustments. This load was safe in my gun so, Start your loads low and work up from there as your MMV...
            Last edited by Cutback; 07-26-2023, 03:06 PM.
            "Old enough to know better"

Comment

• Zeneffect
              Chieftain
              • May 2020

Will be trying some 8208 this weekend. Scored a 8# jug so I'm good to go for a little bit.

Going to use 107 load data as baseline
              Last edited by Zeneffect; 08-03-2023, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• Cutback
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2023

Great score Zen! I'm still trying to find some...

(edit) Well, I guess Zen's good fortune, moved some good mojo my direction.
                I hit up a gun smith buddy of mine, and low and behold, I'll be snagging 2 lbs.
                Last edited by Cutback; 08-11-2023, 01:57 PM.
                "Old enough to know better"

Comment

• jasper2408
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                  Will be trying some 8208 this weekend. Scored a 8# jug so I'm good to go for a little bit.

Going to use 107 load data as baseline
                  Any results to post yet?
                  Last edited by jasper2408; 08-11-2023, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2020

Not yet, ended up on a boat 30 miles offshore fishing the devils teeth instead. I have Tuesday off to make up for loss of load development days.

Comment

• Tvaughn
                      Unwashed
                      • Jan 2022

This thread has me excited for my range to open back up as I purchased the 105s back in late spring but had not had a chance to try them out.

Comment

• jasper2408
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2019

Going out next week to shoot some Sierra 105 Blitzkings and 8208. I also have some SW Match and Tactical loaded up to shoot later. Will be shooting my Howa 20" HB in the MDT LSS-XL Gen2 chassis w/1lb trigger(Gunbloke spring kit-sweet trigger-not for hunting).

Load range - 28.3gr-29.8gr-used data for Sierra 107gr.
                        COAL - 2.260"
                        FL sized and shoulders bumped back .0015"
                        Starline once fired brass-turned necks
                        CCI450

Will post the results next week sometime. Gonna see how this goes before I mess with increasing the powder.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2020

I'm going to guess around 2730ish on the top end with 8208.

Do you see any benefit when turning the necks, or is this a requirement for your rifle?

Comment

• jasper2408
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post

Do you see any benefit when turning the necks, or is this a requirement for your rifle?
                            I just do it so that I know that the case neck thickness is consistent from case to case. It's just me. I only have to do it once and just for my bolt actions. I have no documented proof that it helps me or hurts me on targets and so far I haven't been getting splits. I personally don't think it is a waste of time but some might and that's ok. I have the time so I do it.

My Howa chamber is a standard factory chamber and nothing is tight or oversized. Just plain ole plain.

Edit: One thing that I might add is I watched a video with Jack Neary previously and he said that the consistent neck wall thickness does allow for the neck to expand the same on all sides and release the bullet more consistent on all sides. Said it didn't have any thing to do with how tight the chamber neck was but how consistent the neck separates from the bullet evenly. That stuck with me as he said that it did make a provable difference for him. Now I know that I don't have the precision gun with the tight chamber necks or experience of him but I figured that it certainly can't hurt me.
                            Last edited by jasper2408; 09-09-2023, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2020

Thanks for the info, was wondering if it helps with those random 1 or 2 fliers per 20 rounds... seems it might.

Comment

• jasper2408
                                Warrior
                                • Jan 2019

I was only able to get chrono data today at the range as they were going to close the rifle range I was using to do some berm work and I didn't want to tear everything down and move to the other range and setup targets so I had to hurry. I am old and lazy. I will reload this ladder again and get targets for you next week but I do have the ladder graph data for your viewing.

This highest velocity was 2740 on the last group and 2730 an the next to last group. This is a new rifle so it should speed up some with some more rounds thru it.

4 shots on first group then 3 shots on the rest.

Last edited by jasper2408; 03-07-2024, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X