• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Jasper,

Does it have a Sleep function like the Labradar and Kestrel? If no detection after a certain time it switches off?

The Garmin rep said on the podcast it can be powered externally (not just charged) via the MicroUSB.

All Lithium batteries degrade with time and charges. He said if this happens to ring Garmin and they'll 'work something out'. Can the device come apart? Are those Hex screws around the outside, or some proprietary security socket?

Pretty sure he said the beam is 10-degrees either side so 20 all up.

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Klem View Post
      All Lithium batteries degrade with time and charges. He said if this happens to ring Garmin and they'll 'work something out'.
      Hahahahahaha! That's funny!
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• jasper2408
        Warrior
        • Jan 2019

Does it have a Sleep function like the Labradar and Kestrel? If no detection after a certain time it switches off?
        The only thing I have noticed is the screen goes from bright to less bright after about 20 seconds when it is just setting there with no activity. Now whether the unit is powering down or not I do not know. I have seen videos that say it powers down but I haven't used this enough to know what that looks like when it powers down. When I was using it the last time it did not go completely off or black on the screen between sessions and it would be 10-15 minutes between sessions at least.

The Garmin rep said on the podcast it can be powered externally (not just charged) via the MicroUSB
        I have charged the unit with my external battery to see if it works and it did but as far as running off an external battery I will have to just take his word as true until my battery dies for good to find out. I will probably just change the battery instead as I like not having to carry anything with it to use it.

All Lithium batteries degrade with time and charges. He said if this happens to ring Garmin and they'll 'work something out'. Can the device come apart? Are those Hex screws around the outside, or some proprietary security socket?
        I did hear that on the podcast.

My take on the battery is that they are not going to cover it unless it is under warranty(1 year).

I found this pic over on Snipers Hide. A fellow has already taken it apart to check out the insides.

https://

Here is his comment from that post:

Comment about the ribbon cable in the pic:
        Oh, the screen is under the battery, ribbon cable goes to screen. Other side is the board the screen and battery plug in and whatever magic radar powers this thing.
        I changed the battery that I originally posted to the correct replacement battery as Klem pointed out later in this thread plus this vendor ships from California and not China.
        1 x Genuine 361-0 0056-15 Battery. Battery Model :361-00056-15. Battery Capacity : 3.7V 82 0mAh 3.034 Wh.

The battery # in the pic is: Garmin 361-00056-15 820mAh 3.7v
        Last edited by jasper2408; 11-01-2023, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

That's good news, Jasper. So it's not a brick when the inevitable happens.
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Legionnaire
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2022

I've changed batteries in Garmin GPS units. Non issue.
            Cogito, ergo armatus sum.

Comment

• jasper2408
              Warrior
              • Jan 2019

That's good news, Jasper. So it's not a brick when the inevitable happens.
              That looks pretty easy to change actually.

Originally posted by Legionnaire View Post
              I've changed batteries in Garmin GPS units. Non issue.
              Thanks for that info Legionnaire.
              Last edited by jasper2408; 11-01-2023, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Jasper,

Thanks, that settles it then. The capacity is guaranteed for years to come. I've had a Labradar since they came out in 2015 and can imagine the same use with the Garmin. Might never need to change the battery but like an old IPhone the years fly by and you end up with a choice, but a new one or open it up.

In the photo of the opened Garmin it is 820mAhr capacity, so if ever it needs changing we need to be careful which replacement to get. The dimensions of the 750mAhr dog collar 361-00056 look slightly different due to the blue plastic packaging. I found this 820mAhr one with the same yellow high-temp teflon tape, and exposed circuitry on the side with the plug. Bit more expensive but the higher capacity and packaging matches the one in the photo. The space in the radar where it sits looks pretty tight so as long as it is exactly the same it'll be a snap.
                s-l1600.jpg

The Garmin rep in the podcast called the battery a "Lithium Polymer", but the 361-00056 is Li-ion chemistry. He might have been talking his product up (more expensive chemistry), or maybe not know the difference. Now we know the replacement battery it's a non-issue.

Makes sense they would build in a power-down mode.

Also like how it works without needing to have the app on at the time. Can imagine situations where you don't have your phone but it can still give velocities. If you want to record just use a pen and paper - old-school.
                Last edited by Klem; 11-01-2023, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• jasper2408
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2019

I went back and changed the battery link so it would reflect the correct battery that Klem pointed out. The link is on Ebay and the battery is shipped from California and not China.

1 x Genuine 361-0 0056-15 Battery. Battery Model :361-00056-15. Battery Capacity : 3.7V 82 0mAh 3.034 Wh.

Garmin 361-00056-15 820mAh 3.7v 3.034Wh

Comment

• SDW
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2018

uh oh. Only 10 left! We better buy our spares now...

Kidding. Hopefully there are more to come. Since that vendor already had a bunch, can we assume this battery is common to other Garmin products? Hope so.

I'm glad they're replaceable with a little effort. I'd expressed this issue as being my only concern, back in the original thread discussing this new chrono.

Comment

• jasper2408
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2019

I did some testing to see if the unit turns itself off or not and found out the following:

I turned on the unit and let it set without doing anything else to it. The unit goes from bright to dim in about 30 seconds and then exactly 1 hour after turning the unit on it turned itself off completely.

I then saw a video that said the unit powers down after 30 minutes when a session has been started so I started a session and just let it set. At exactly 30 minutes this screen popped up and you have to physically push a button to either start the session again or end the session so that part is true. I did not see what happens if I didn't do anything and just left it set there. This is good enough for me.

Last edited by jasper2408; 11-05-2023, 05:12 AM.

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Excellent.

So far, apart from not being able to give downrange velocities there doesn't appear to be a downside. Be a good time to pick up a cheap Labradar or Magnetospeed.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2019

Sold my LabRadar to get one of these. While I'm excited, beware if buying from Cabellas/BassPro, as they automatically do Signature Required on the FedEx delivery, and I'm discoverying that FedEx lies and says they tried to deliver and no-one home (when they didn't try at all), to pad their driver stats; depending on your driver. So I was supposed to get it yesterday, and am still waiting. If you can buy from someone other than FedEx and/or avoid Signature Required, that may be a better experience.

Also, I'm disappointed to discover that the app will only install on the latest phones. I have a good Android cell phone a few years older (but far from uselessly obsolete) and it won't install. So if the hope was to use last cycles retired beater phone as the dedicated device for this that won't work. I'm a little irked at that, as there's no logical reason for that - but oh well.
                          4x P100

Comment

• mtnlvr
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2019

My Cabelas/Fedex Xero C1 delivery was attempted today when I was away for a few hours. I don't mind the required signature in this case. I just wish that Fedex had some better scheduling options without having to charge additional fees. In a signature situation, I could have avoided them making a stop just to have to stop again tomorrow had they given the option.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2019

Heh, today my FedEx driver on attempt number 2 did what I suspected he would do - He dropped it on the front porch and ran like Hell. So much for Signature Required! Ah well, at least I got it. So I had chance to run up to the range today and fire a few hundred rounds with it. A few repeated items everyone else has said.

1- this this is REDICULOUSLY Small and Easy. It literally the size of a thick set of playing cards, and the bipod is tiny as well. It's a sweet little rig
                              2- a few simple reliable consumer grade product. Turn it on, point it sort of down range, and let it go.
                              3- The interface is a million times better than the antiquated LabRadar interface, but also a bit limited. the processing power and speed and write speed in this rig is literally 1000 times faster. That's not hyperbole. My Labradar would take 5 seconds at times before it would track the shot, calculate the MV, and write it to memory, and then display it. This guy does it instantly, in probably about 5 hundredths of a second after the last track is read from the bullet in flight - it's so much faster.
                              4- The App kind of sucks. The link connection is FAST and reliable. Instant, but you don't actually see your shot numbers until you push buttons on the unit and proceed to the next string; you don't see them live displayed on the app. Also, you can't use the app/phone to progress to the next series. And worst of all, as noted, you have to have the latest modern smartphone to even have the app. And you have to have the App, to update the firmware of the unit, which mine had to do.

That said, the App is kind of unnecessary to use the unit in general, as the unit is steady small, right there, and easy to interface; and doesn't' mind if you move it any while interfacing - it'll still track just fine. I guess the App logs the data, but not the actual track readings, just each shot's MV that it calculated internally (from the 50 or so distance readings + time values at reading it did per shot, and then backed out the MV for each shot). I suppose you could just shoot, and then pull the readings when you get home; but really - who does that? If you are doing a bunch of strings, you really need to be recording that right there in the field along with your target information etc, to keep it all straight, and also to see if anything is amiss right there as you are going.

Anyway, all in all, this isn't just next generation over LabRadar, this is at least 2 next generations, over LabRadar. This is a flip phone in a world that was bag-phones. A very worthy upgrade. Especially since you can dump your LabRadar in any working condition for close to $400 easy, making it just a $200 upgrade. If you are going to dump your LabRadar - do so quickly, because those things are going to fall in value fast and hard, once Garmin's production catches up and they start having sales on these tiny little guys. It tracked everything. no aiming. No "ERROR No Track Collected", if not just overtly missed. None of that any more.
                              Last edited by lazyengineer; 12-30-2023, 03:59 AM.
                              4x P100

Comment

• jasper2408
                                Warrior
                                • Jan 2019

And you have to have the App, to update the firmware of the unit, which mine had to do.
                                You can also install Garmin Express software on your MAC or Windows PC to update the chrono firmware using the chrono cable.

Comment

Working...
                                X