X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasper2408
    Warrior
    • Jan 2019

Saw this on UTube for the Garmin chrono.

Comment

• Zeneffect
      Chieftain
      • May 2020

Yea that's my video. I been playing with it a little.

I'm at the point where it's opening up excel and dumping data into custom fields for me so shot images can be attached to file.

Last edited by Zeneffect; 03-06-2024, 12:42 AM.

Comment

• jasper2408
        Warrior
        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
        Yea that's my video. I been playing with it a little.

I'm at the point where it's opening up excel and dumping data into custom fields for me so shot images can be attached to file.

https://youtu.be/GoL7vFsqlsc?feature=shared
        So is this version downloadable? I use LibreOffice and the original version is working ok for me. Just had to set the number of decimal places to 2 places.

Comment

• Zeneffect
          Chieftain
          • May 2020

No, it's for Microsoft excel specifically and uses a custom sheet where I know how to calculate the cell locations Not for public consumption.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Based on this thread and urging from a buddy, I sold off my eldest child and invested in a Gamrin Xero Pro chrono and hope to try it out today. Thanks to everyone for the discussion and information.
            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I hope you do a video DNS using the Garmin chronograph. I’m looking forward to your testing on the Hornady V/T bullets. Maybe you’ll get a nice large lone boar.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

Thanks VASCAR, maybe not a video just yet, but I am pleased with how it works. I did do this fun test for one of my viewers. They wanted to know if it would work after dark. It is radar, so of course it should work that way, but I had not considered using it after dark and the notion intrigued me. I sat for hogs last night in a blind and hoped to chrony my shot(s) on the hogs. None came. So a little after midnight, aimed at a safe spot on the ground in the distance and fired a couple of shots. The Garmin Xero C1 Pro had no problem reading them. The readings were within a few fps of when I chrono'd the ammo a couple days prior.

This may not impact many people here, but in the winter time when it gets dark so early, I am sometimes zeroing after dark before I hunt, but if I had new ammo, I could not chrono it until having a bright day to do so. Several times I arrived before dark, but not enough light in the sky despite being enough light to still read the targets with a spotting scope.
                Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

The Garmin doppler seems much handier and reliable compared to optical chronographs. I have a PACT optical chronograph and have only used it a few times. I haven’t had as much time to develop new rifle ammunition and haven’t really had the need or desire to chronograph pistol ammunition. I hadn’t thought about the low light capability of doppler chronographs but my PACT chronograph would not work at an indoor range with their florescent lighting. Another area where the Garmin would be an asset is in an indoor range with narrow shooting table and lanes.

Comment

• vaguru
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2022

Yesterday I had the opportunity to chrono the same ammo over 3 different chronos at the same time. They were a Garmin, a LabRadar and an old Shooting Chrony optical. The Chrony was set 5' from the muzzle while the other 2 were on the bench.

The rifle was a 22LR shooting a known lot of good ammo. The LabRadar and the Chrony recorded virtually the same FPS, only differing by 2 FPS. The Garmin was very different in this regard recording 50 FPS lower. velocity. The ES was was basically the same for all the units, varying only 1 FPS, 12 to 11 FPS.

Any idea as to what is going on with the discrepancy with the reading on the Garmin?

Comment

• Zeneffect
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2020

sampling distance would be my guess. i have been playing with this concept in my head and am devising a test bed for the chrono to see what the exact effects are of distance from muzzle,angle, etc. developer options in the chrono will give you the measurement distance in meters, and its usually not close. when its close its registering 5-7 meters but it seems inconsistent at times which is why im thinking about new tooling.

garmin mounted to a compass mounted to a slide rule type device which references from the ski fit of my bipod. owning a laser has its benefits to where i can prototype stupid ideas like this faster than a 3d printer.
                      Last edited by Zeneffect; 03-27-2024, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by vaguru View Post
                        Yesterday I had the opportunity to chrono the same ammo over 3 different chronos at the same time. They were a Garmin, a LabRadar and an old Shooting Chrony optical. The Chrony was set 5' from the muzzle while the other 2 were on the bench.

The rifle was a 22LR shooting a known lot of good ammo. The LabRadar and the Chrony recorded virtually the same FPS, only differing by 2 FPS. The Garmin was very different in this regard recording 50 FPS lower. velocity. The ES was was basically the same for all the units, varying only 1 FPS, 12 to 11 FPS.

Any idea as to what is going on with the discrepancy with the reading on the Garmin?
                        My Chronograph requires 15ft placement from the muzzle to avoid muzzle blast-induced errors that accelerate the unit relative to the ground.

I’ve seen guys shooting really close to their optical chronographs, where the unit was visibly rocking back and forth from the muzzle blast.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• mtnlvr
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2019

Perhaps not enough clear line of sight for the Garmin?

I placed mine inline but just downrange from my optical both about 70 yds out and shot 22lr over them. They both ready within ~10 fps.

Comment

• SDW
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2018

I finally got to give my Garmin a quick test about a month ago when I obtained my dad's old Beeman pellet rifle. I took five shots with it into the ground on the far side of the yard while measuring it. The Garmin had no trouble measuring all of those little 7.9gr pellets. AV of 801.5 fps. SD of 7.7. Very happy to see that.

Since then I've used my Garmin on two shooting trips so far. Should be no surprise that it works great with 5.56, 6.5G, and .303Br. And it's also the first chrony I've own that actually measures handgun ammo V. My optical (Caldwell) never could do that accurately. I always saw crazy velocities with it. Like, 45auto out of my 1911 showing 1800 fps. WTH.

So I tried the Garmin with my G19, firing some new ammo I got on sale recently. Norma "range & training" ammo with 65gr frangible bullets. The boxes claim 1650 fps. So, five shots of that measured by the Garmin came to 1657.4 fps average. Pretty close. That is to say, Norma's claim was pretty damned close to what a 4" G19 will do with those bullets. And by coincidence, those also had a SD of 7.7. I had no idea that handgun ammo could be that consistent.

And I got some data on a few Grendel loads as well.

Comment

• Klem
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Vag,

50fps lower when the other two were identical does sound like something's wrong with the Garmin. Did you have both radars on at the same time? Maybe Labradar's stronger emissions interfered with the Garmin's.

Maybe the angle of the Garmin relative to the barrel axis was more than the Labradar. So the Garmin was not square with the barrel. The bullet enters the arc further down-range giving a lower MV.

The 2fps diff between your Chrony and the Labradar is probably down to the Labradar being an estimated muzzle velocity, and the Chrony being the velocity 5' in front of the muzzle. According to JBM Ballistics the likely difference when using 1,200fps ammo is about 1-2fps.

So far my Garmin hasn't missed a beat and I use it constantly. I use the supplied tripod, and have had no reason to doubt its MV's.
                              Last edited by Klem; 03-28-2024, 03:28 AM.

Comment

• Klem
                                Chieftain
                                • Aug 2013

Acquisition angle of the Garmin is 12 degrees.

Was incrementally angling the Garmin away from the bore axis until it no longer picked up rounds. This happened at 7 degrees, so if we assume the other side is the same then the acquisition arc is 12 degrees total. Used a mitre which was squared to a line drawn on a concrete shooting bench. Fired at the same target down range while angling the Garmin away a degree every two shots.

This is what the 6 degree max angle looks like:
                                6 angle - Copy.jpg 6 degree angle - Copy.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X