X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Cosine effect will show slower velocity and there is a math formula to calculate the amount of error. The higher the frequency generally the narrower the size of the beam. This change in band from X Band to K and Ka band was noticeable in the usage of traffic radar. Seeing how the Garmin uses such a high frequency having the beam parallel with the bullet flight path will provide the most accurate data.

Doppler RADAR determines speed from the shift in frequency of the signal from the transmitted signal to the reflected received signal. I would think the Garmin design would account for other RF signal in close proximity to the Garmin and be able to differentiate it’s own transmitted and received signal. In land mobile radio communication the transmitted digital or analog signal use a code to access systems. With digital systems like P25 a NAC code is used to gain access to a network, similar to an IM number with cell service or Identify Friend or Foe (IFF) in the military.

Comment

• vaguru
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2022

Klem,

After shooting with all 3 units on at the same time, more shots were fired with the Chrony removed. Still had a 50 fps difference between the Garmin and the LabRadar. Then turned the LabRadar off and shot with only the Garmin. Garmin still read the same velocity as previously, 50 fps lower.

I don't know what to think at this point. Checked into where the Garmin "reads" the velocity and is somewhere within the first meter. Also, there was no muzzle blast moving the Chrony set at 5' from the 22LR ammo. Since the Chrony and LabRadar read basically the same velocity (Chrony corrected to muzzle adding 2 fps). Then plugging in the data from them and the Garmin into Chairgun Elite and getting 100 yd click values I shot paper. The velocity and BC values showed that the faster readings needed 1.7 mils up. Paper shooting confirmed the results. Using velocity from the Garmin results showed needing 1.9 mils for 100 yds. Paper shooting showed that the impact was high amounting to those 2 extra clicks.

Therefore I have my doubts about the Garmin results. Now due to the fact I don't own either the LabRadar or the Garmin, I'm not going to get upset and spew negative posts. It was just a test to compare my near 40 year old Chrony. In years past, I had compared this Chrony to an Oehler P35 with basically the same results as achieved with the LabRadar, matching numbers.

I have read reports where the Garmin results are very favorable to many other brands of chronographs, but mostly tested with centerfire ammo.

What I do know is that at my age, mid 70's, I'd rather spend the money on ammo, rather than a new chronograph that gets limited use. And, If I want to use either of the other 2 that were in my test, my buddies are always willing.

Thanks for all the input on this thread, appreciated.

Comment

• jasper2408
        Warrior
        • Jan 2019

I believe I would contact Garmin. Heck, there are all sorts of videos on uTube where people have tried to get the Garmin to fail and it didn't. The only one that I saw that failed was a fella put the Garmin even with the muzzle where it was taking some of the muzzle blast and it did not pick up shots at all but once he moved the chono back to the required 5 in. from the muzzle then everything worked fine.

Just some info from the Garmin manual.

Recording Shot Data

Alignment Considerations

For best results, you should always follow these alignment considerations while using your chronograph.
        • Always observe the position diagram for your projectile type.
        • Always ensure the large, flat side of the chronograph is pointed at the target and the screen is facing you.
        • Always ensure the chronograph has an unobstructed view of the target.
        • Always ensure the projectile can travel at least 20 meters or 20 yards in front of the chronograph.

Automatic Radar Configuration
        The Xero® C1 chronograph automates some setup steps to help you get started faster.

Frequency Selection
        When you start a session, the chronograph automatically checks for interference from other radars. If the chronograph detects interference from other radar systems, it switches to a clean channel automatically.

Position Offset
        There is no need to enter a position offset manually. The Xero C1 chronograph uses an advanced algorithm that does not need position input to measure true muzzle velocity.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Vag,

Perhaps then the machine's calibration is out. Fixed by warranty repair.

There are videos on YT comparing velocities from Garmin to other chronographs, without issue.

There is one YT video where the shooter is using a heavy calibre connected to the Garmin by an after-market rail. One of the shots is not picked up. The recoil on that electronic device must be horrendous. Self-inflicted by a social media influencer trying to promote these interface rails. Apart from that I have not seen or experienced a single failure of the Garmin.

Comment

• mtnlvr
            Warrior
            • Feb 2019

Did you select the proper weapon type and velocity range?

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Vag,

mtn makes a good point. The Garmin's default Rifle setting is too fast for 22LR. You have to change it to the slower range in the start-up sequence.

Comment

• vaguru
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2022

Klem,

I'll ask the Garmin owner if the slower range selection was used. I don't know what was used as it's not my unit.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

20240329_145331 reduced.jpg

Okay, so I heard about this being done on the podcast and thought I would give it a try.
                  Attached Files
                  Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                  My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

"NOOOoooooo!"...LOL

Comment

Working...
                    X