100 gr ttsx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 gr ttsx

I have finally got my hands on some Barnes 100 gr. TTSX to develop a hunting load. All of my reloading for the grendel so far has been with the 123 gr. AMAX, 8208 and cci450. I have been searching for a while and have not found any substantial quantity of data for the 100 TTSX. I have read countless threads of hunting success with this projectile, so I'm under the impression it is a commonly used load and I'm very anxious to se how it does out of my 18" barrel.

I've got quite a while to develop this load before the next deer season so I'm not overly concerned with using a powder I already have. Any data would be greatly appreciated.

I spent some time at the range yesterday. I tested a few loads. With all the talk of Barnes 100 grain TTSX, I decided to load up a few for whitetail. The detail is below, my short summary is that I like PA_Allen's TTSX load of 30.0 grains 8208 XBR. I also tried 30.4 and 30.8 grains (max listed for 100 gr Nosler). With 30

Comment

I must have overlooked that thread but it looks like a great place to start. Thanks!

Comment

PA_Allen and rickOshay have some loads they have shared, and there is a bunch of data from Western Powders for the 100gr TTSX.

They are in Volume II of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook on page 81. There is data for AA2200, AA2230, AA2460, AA2520, H-335, X-Terminator, and TAC.

PA_Allen also has been using a load with 8208XBR for several years, with a lot of success on game. If I were you, I would work up the 8208 load. You can search the forum with the google Custom Search Engine.

I spent some time at the range yesterday. I tested a few loads. With all the talk of Barnes 100 grain TTSX, I decided to load up a few for whitetail. The detail is below, my short summary is that I like PA_Allen's TTSX load of 30.0 grains 8208 XBR. I also tried 30.4 and 30.8 grains (max listed for 100 gr Nosler). With 30

ETA: Beat me to it. Nice job gents.

Comment

• PA_Allen
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

Yep. 30 gr of 8208 with the 100 TTSX has worked great for me.

2793 fps out of my 20" barrel. Seems like a nice combination. Details: Lapua brass, Rem 7.5 primers, 30 gr 8208, 100 TTSX. This velocity indicates a max load, so please use proper precautions and work up for your own rifle. Only got to fire a couple of 3 shot groups from prone, but accuracy looks to be at least MOA.

If you like ball powders, 30 gr of H335 is also a good load.

Please start below these charges and work up to 30 gr in your rifle.
          Best,
          PA

Comment

• BjornF16
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

PA, R'shay

What jump are y'all using for your 100 TTSX rounds?...I seem to recall the Barnes solids like a good jump...
            LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
            Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
              PA, R'shay

What jump are y'all using for your 100 TTSX rounds?...I seem to recall the Barnes solids like a good jump...
              For clarification, could we also share what has been Grendelier experience with this and the other Barnes X, TSX, and TTSX bullets in this regard?

I ask because Barnes does make "Solid Bullets" that are not designed to expand in soft tissue -- think fur hunters. I can see where these might behave differently because of shape and material characteristics.

Also, just yesterday, I had an interesting phone conversation with someone who knows a lot about pressure testing and eqiupment. He volunteered a similar comment. Alas, when I play the conversation back in my memory, I find that I missed a point or two because not all the dots connected when I tried to relate details just now. I deleted that part of the post to minimize further confusion.

The generic bottom line was that the Grendel throat may minimize the "generous vs minimal jump" concern. Hence the question about folks experience with these bullets in the Grendel.
              Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2014, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Drifter
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

PA, R'shay

I'm curious as well.

FAQ section of Barnes website seems to suggest 0.030" to 0.070":

Drifter

Comment

• PA_Allen
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

PA, R'shay

When I started with the 100 TTSX, I simply made sure that 2.26" OCL would easily feed and extract and went from there. The 2.26" OCL has worked so well that I have not seen any need to tinker further. If I were going for optimum groups at 500 yds+ I might try other seating depths. For my purposes, shooting deer, these shoot better than my ability to hold in the field.
                  I'll check my notes to see how far out of the lands I am.
                  Best,
                  PA

Comment

• BjornF16
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Using the OAL gauge, I'm measuring a COAL of 2.288" average to the lands (1.747" avg, base to ogive) in my pre-SAAMI Satern Spartan 14.5" barrel.

I used three random bullets and took three measurements with each bullet. BTW...all three bullets I picked were .611" in length (base to ogive). I'll probably start with .040" off lands for pressure ladder; then play with the jump.

My start COAL will be 2.248" (ok, 2.250" for rounding).

Comment

I have the exact same upper/barrel as PA_Allen so hopefully by rifle will see similar results. I'm going to try CCI450, and start at 29.0, 29.5, 30.0 with a COAL 2.260. I may go ahead and load up a few more at 30.1, 30.2, 30.3, 30.4, and 30.5 depending on pressure signs. I will bring a chronograph and report back here with my data. I will be working on several rifles tomorrow so it may not get done this weekend but I will report back as soon as I get some data. Thanks for help!

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by louieprkr View Post
                        I have the exact same upper/barrel as PA_Allen so hopefully by rifle will see similar results. I'm going to try CCI450, and start at 29.0, 29.5, 30.0 with a COAL 2.260. I may go ahead and load up a few more at 30.1, 30.2, 30.3, 30.4, and 30.5 depending on pressure signs. I will bring a chronograph and report back here with my data. I will be working on several rifles tomorrow so it may not get done this weekend but I will report back as soon as I get some data. Thanks for help!
                        Shouldn't increase more than 10% of case volume at a time (about 0.3 grains in the grendel).

Comment

I'm familiar with the principle but I'd be extremely surprised to have issues at the above listed loads. With that said, I've been surprised before so maybe I should stick to it. 29.1, 29.4, 29.7, 30.0 and 30.3 might be a better idea.

Comment

• PA_Allen
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

Interesting. So when I seat the 100 TTSX to 2.255", I am jumping 0.010" in my 16" Liberty barrel and 0.070" in my 20" Lothar Walther barrel. I had never carefully measured it before. My Liberty barrel was purchased last February from Midway (AR Stoner) and has had less than 200 rds through it. My LW barrel has had at least 500 rounds through it. The 30 gr 8208 load shoots great in both, so in my case jump and throat profile don't seem to matter much.
                            - PA

Comment

• BjornF16
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2011

I loaded four 100 TTSX dummy rounds at 2.248" COAL (1.711" base to ogive) after setting back shoulder .004" from fired case dimensions. Marked two of them up with black sharpie and cycled them all through chamber. Easy to extract; no setback; no scuff marks from throat or lands evident on the bullets.

I'll start loading these up for a pressure ladder test with 8208 XBR: 27.9, 28.2 28.5, 28.8, 29.1, 29.4, 29.7, 30.0, 30.3, 30.6 (three each).

When loaded to 2.248", I have a little bit of one groove exposed on the bullet. My brass is 1.517" OAL.

Q: Is anyone crimping these? I used .287 bushing.

Given the ice storm on its way, I don't reckon I'll be able to shoot until next weekend.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X