• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

039.jpg

Wow, it worked! Hanka described a new method to me tonite.

From the left, a stock 120Gmx
    a 100 with frontal cut John's spec sheet.

a 100Gmx, w/ a VLD style tail-tail was too long he said!

a 90 gmx, with a perfect tail, he said. a 92 Gmx for length comparison.

second batch- also for comparison.Left to rt.

a stock 120TTSX

a 100 TTSX same tip length as the 100 Gmx.

a 90 TTSX, VLD tail. He said nothing....

a .30 cal. 110 gr. TTSX- for length comparisons.,, I use these in my shorty 40, lil .30 cal on deer-works great.
    its also the bro to the 110 Tac X with the longer black tip.
    Last edited by sneaky one; 10-15-2014, 02:03 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

016.jpg031.jpgAs he held , and started measuring the 100 Gmx- his smile went ear to ear! You almost got my dream pill perfect, he screamed. He started drawing on a napkin the specs . he has Memorized-Wow! I'll add it to my napkin sketches from all the years. I will tweak the tail, and add .010 to one other area- build em- then we will shoot a few together asap.

Actually enjoyed the challenge of a new idea. I drilled the front of the Gmx to a 3mm diam. hole-9mm deep.

Click on pic to enlargeit, finally I can do this properly.. look out Hornady- we are a comin
      Last edited by sneaky one; 10-15-2014, 02:11 AM.

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Yaa Yaa! Das ist gut! I'm digging the 100 GMX as well.
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Vari, I guessed this would get your attention, ahem. I see u reactivated your chill ON switch.

I am going to make 8 -100's, & 8- 95's, and maybe---8 , of either a 90, or a 105 class. We will shoot a few into--maybe One of the Handbook boys can send me the recipe for the Perma Gel ? --Gel. or plain old h2o jugs. to see if we are close to expansion

Searching for thoughts on the last 2 wts. from the Horde. Ricko shay- ROS- do u have any lite wt. Gmx data-vids to tease us with yet? Just a bit. MMM, gel is gooey!

Hanka & I dared each other to start a pt. 2 to this thread on Sat. I got dared again tonite! I thought You were gonna! No You were gonna!

A few of us have a similar exp. going on, & on.... that almost mirrors this concept-ideas. Eventually, maybe we can put this all together,-- from the 5 of us- for a professionally formatted presentation to Hornady, and ??? I think it will bode better than just a phone call-- Hi my names Bob, I would like a 100 GMx bullet-- idea.

CRAP, I Forgot to Start This as PART 2 OF JOHN"S DREAM PILL-- John can ya rebadge this for me? Dare no. 2 Use the psswrd you sent me last wk.

shhhhh, be sneaky now...
          Last edited by sneaky one; 10-15-2014, 02:43 AM.

Comment

• ricsmall
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Great looking pills sneaky!! I likely the idea. What tips have you conjured up there? Still waiting on parts and 5c, I'll keep ya posted on that. BTW, IPhone is acting crazy as of late, having trouble with texting and internet so I'll b checking on here to comm with ya.

Richard
            Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

001.jpgRS, wondering where u were... Pm me till stuff gets fixed- whens the 5c chuck do to arrive?

I like the Vld tail on the 100 Gx., but Hanka balked at it's length- any more thoughts? Anyone? We are in need of some more input.

I can just hone the base down to his spec, and still be @ 94-95 grns. Easily. All his other specs would be about perfect, except for his ideal wt. , Yet he forgot with Gilding metal, it's gonna weigh 5% less than pure copper. Thoughts????

Tips were made from some 5mm Diam. plastic rods I had in recycle pile, close to a poly mtl., nothing fancy- just went for the exterior presentation. Injection molding is the only path on these! OMG!!!!

BTW, Anyone have some Delrin plastic rod in thinner sizes to share? Only need a few feet of it,, 1" lengths would work.

Hanka handed me a box of 45 Gmx for us to toy with- kinda per his spec sheet ideas,--- yet a 95 & a 105 should be included as a comparison pills idea-for live test tries- to see what we actually have here- then the manufs- if they like this-can figure out the rest,,, I can get some R&R !!!!!

Pic at top is of the package I sent to K280 in Kansas on this Monday- 80 grn. class of Gmx's- I included rL 7 powder so we can compare notes on whitetails- Targets etc.
              Rs has a few of these pills also- we'll see what shows up. Keep an open mind on these pills.

I gave 1 to Hanka to try- He even Liked these!
              Last edited by sneaky one; 10-15-2014, 04:06 AM.

Comment

• am4966
                Chieftain
                • Jul 2014

Sneaky great job! Love watching this thread, taking idea's from the horde and actually making it happen.
                12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                  I like the Vld tail on the 100 Gx., but Hanka balked at it's length- any more thoughts? Anyone? We are in need of some more input.
                  Since you plan to submit the design to manufacturers, I'd suggest using tail configurations that they currently use. The "VLD tail" may be too radical to be incorporated in production bullets.
                  I can just hone the base down to his spec, and still be @ 94-95 grns. Easily. All his other specs would be about perfect, except for his ideal wt. , Yet he forgot with Gilding metal, it's gonna weigh 5% less than pure copper. Thoughts????
                  Perhaps do two variations:

- 100gr GMX with unmodified boat tail (the version you say is liked by Hanka). For submission to Hornady.

- 95gr GMX modified to all Hanka specs. For submission to Barnes. (Since Barnes would make it in copper, weight would end up ~100gr.)

Comment

• Bigfoot
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2014

Thoughts? Only on the flat bottomed cavity profile and squared off insert. Makes me wonder if it will cause it to lose petals. It might also cause a reduced expanded diameter. But who knows at this point until the testing.

Looking really good. Good Luck.

StanC posted these mono pics and it's possible that we might try to emulate the nose and wedge shaped cavities. Don't know yet.

What diameter Delrin tips do you need. I'll see what I can find.

Comment

• Bigfoot
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2014

I wonder if anyone on this site has the experience to estimate the BCs?

I assume the initial velocities will be a bit less than the shorter 100TTSX.

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Thanks am, these are the fun challenges I get to do- some are more labor intensive- Ros should have some teaser gel pics up by now of what we have started -since our January chats.

It does make it easier for me to actually, Know the administrator- he lives semi close by me- we can meet up and share ideas in person , when we need to. We are just a text away, 20 minutes- to get things going. Jucy Lucy's burgers,@ the 5-8 club in St Paul tonite, only took 12 minutes to assemble- as a plan to get together.

Have any ideas to start up?

These pills, we hope will happen - just takes a lot of time- testing- input from all of you guys- gals. Gel tests are key,,, It's been a true team effort for 6 months now. More to follow---

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

BF,, there are some decent BC calculator sites on the web- search emm up- see what you think. I think I made it to .426 on last winters 105 Gmx.

Realistically- for an actual hunt pill in 95-100grn. -under 300 yds long tipped- .325- .375 BC with grooves will be fine. Been there, took Whitetails, with a lesser pill , in 6.5mm trim,quite easily in a NW 40 mph., crosswind @ 400 yds. Know thy bullets. Shoot AMAP. (as much as possible). Hanka brought this up tonite, about BC's @ lesser ranges- Duh! Less is more @ short ranges, Nite B Foot. 12:38 here- sleep time was 10:30. Talk on wed pm.

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Good idea stan, Bfoot- I'll, explain the drill on wed pm, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,,,, Nite u nite owls!

Comment

• WHITEBULL
                              Bloodstained
                              • Aug 2013

I picked up some Lehigh Defense 95 gr pills, the Controlled Chaos. Would using the same powder as other varmint type loads be recommended? 8208 XBR? TAC?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                                Super Moderator
                                • Sep 2014

For lighter pills under 100gr, and especially those with relief cuts, we're looking at faster powders. H-322, H-335, X-Terminator, Benchmark. H-335 seems to pop up the most for speed and tame pressures.
                                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                                X