X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lastrites
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

Really it's too bad that BCA seems to have gone down the rabbit hole as initially they seemed to be showing great promise at extremely affordable rates.

Comment

• Randy99CL
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

There's been a lot of talk here about these short-throated barrels. I don't mean to lessen the importance of BCA's QC error, it is a big deal. I could imagine a weak case rupturing in a worst-case scenario. I hope that they can replace all the problem barrels before something like that happens.

But I'm not ready to write-off BCA. Of all the thousands of barrels they make a year it's likely that only a handful have the short throat; I've only heard of the 20" 6.5G 5R with the problem. Might have been only a short production run with the worn reamer, maybe a few hours, who knows? But they should have inspected them close enough to catch it.
      I like the company enough that I hope they learn from their error, fix all the bad barrels and survive.
      "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
        Warrior
        • Jul 2017

I've been wondering if they over extended themselves with the veteran barrel give away and let qc slip as a result. That would be a cruel twist of karmic fate, albeit perhaps one they should have foreseen.

Comment

• Sticks
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2016

Check those Faxon barrel extensions for burrs. They had their own issues not long ago.
          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• ported45
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
            There's been a lot of talk here about these short-throated barrels. I don't mean to lessen the importance of BCA's QC error, it is a big deal. I could imagine a weak case rupturing in a worst-case scenario. I hope that they can replace all the problem barrels before something like that happens.

But I'm not ready to write-off BCA. Of all the thousands of barrels they make a year it's likely that only a handful have the short throat; I've only heard of the 20" 6.5G 5R with the problem. Might have been only a short production run with the worn reamer, maybe a few hours, who knows? But they should have inspected them close enough to catch it.
            I like the company enough that I hope they learn from their error, fix all the bad barrels and survive.
            My first BCA upper had conventional rifling and was short throated, but not nearly as short as the second upper they sent with the 5R rifling. Third upper is back to the conventional rifling that I ordered and is not short throated.

However, my first run to the range resulted in a stuck bullet due to the bullets being inertia-pulled by the round chambering. I chambered and fired two rounds and then extracted the next round without firing to inspect. Bullet was PULLED ever so slightly. Chambered it up again and tried to extract it and that is when the bullet stuck in the beginning of the rifling and pulled from the cartridge. The rest of that story is being outlined in the Reloading Forum under "Neck Tension".

I went back a second time with crimped-in bullets with the Lee FCD and got just over an 1" groups with 8208 starting load and Nosler 120 BT and just over 2" with Nosler 129 ABLR. I need to figure out my neck tension crap and then I can tackle load development. Crimp was what I consider on the heavy side (looked like military crimps) before the bullets would not move forward out of the neck when being chambered. This could be part of the group size and the reason that I want to defeat this obstacle first.

Comment

• Splatt
              Warrior
              • May 2017

Sounds like you have another short throat.
              No, factory ammo should ever get stuck in the lands.

Comment

• ported45
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Splatt View Post
                Sounds like you have another short throat.
                No, factory ammo should ever get stuck in the lands.
                It wouldn't have had the bullet not moved forward in the mouth when chambered. Just like an inertia bullet puller. Second time shoved it into the rifling.

Comment

• Twkenny
                  Unwashed
                  • May 2018

Originally posted by ported45 View Post
                  It wouldn't have had the bullet not moved forward in the mouth when chambered. Just like an inertia bullet puller. Second time shoved it into the rifling.
                  I'm sorry for not understanding exactly...so when the round chambers the bullet is sliding forward into the rifling due to the sudden stop of the cartridge?

Comment

• ported45
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Twkenny View Post
                    I'm sorry for not understanding exactly...so when the round chambers the bullet is sliding forward into the rifling due to the sudden stop of the cartridge?

Yup. Using Hornady dies with 0.262" elliptical expander that leaves the case mouth at 0.258" before inserting bullet. I brush out the necks before sizing, just like all the other brass I ever use. I ended up putting a pretty good Lee FCD crimp on it to keep the bullets from moving forward when chambered.

I also load 5.56 and .300 Blackout for the AR and never had any problems like this before using the same reloading technique and Anderson complete lower.

I am going to work on making sure that the case mouth has been cleaned and degreased to eliminate any friction loss due to leftover residue or case lube that could have (however unlikely) got in the mouth of the cartridge.

The guys here are saying that with 0.258" ID neck should be plenty to hold the bulllet without any crimp at all. It was also suggested to check the Anderson carbine spring for appropriate # of coils. Guess I will have to Google what would be appropriate.

Comment

• ported45
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2018

Gunscrubber on the inside of the necks seems to have done the trick.

In better news, I turned out a 0.79" 100 yard group yesterday!

I had been using Nosler 120 BT and 129 ABLR and starting loads to see if I could get any decent groups as Nosler was suggesting lower end loads were more accurate in their test barrel. I got some 129 Hornady SP in the mail Friday and got the same results. Averaging 1.75" groups with 8208. Well, I bumped up another half a grain with that Hornady bullet and it tightened right up.

Now to do a ladder with both 129 bullets and see if I can get better with the Hornady and to see if I can find what the Nosler likes.

I finally have some hope for this BCA.

Comment

• Twkenny
                        Unwashed
                        • May 2018

Originally posted by ported45 View Post
                        Gunscrubber on the inside of the necks seems to have done the trick.

In better news, I turned out a 0.79" 100 yard group yesterday!

I had been using Nosler 120 BT and 129 ABLR and starting loads to see if I could get any decent groups as Nosler was suggesting lower end loads were more accurate in their test barrel. I got some 129 Hornady SP in the mail Friday and got the same results. Averaging 1.75" groups with 8208. Well, I bumped up another half a grain with that Hornady bullet and it tightened right up.

Now to do a ladder with both 129 bullets and see if I can get better with the Hornady and to see if I can find what the Nosler likes.

I finally have some hope for this BCA.
                        Sounds great!
                        Mine seems to like 120 Barnes TTSX the best out of all I've tried. I'm going to try some different powders and loads and see if I can tighten up the groups a bit as well. Shot a 3/4" 5 shot group in the wind and rain. Not sure how much more i can expect from a low priced AR Upper.

Comment

• Coancr
                          Unwashed
                          • Apr 2018

I have been following this thread as I to have a BCA upper. I emailed them last week after not being able to find any factory ammo or reload combination that would shoot moa. I found a couple that would do 1.75 @ 100. They were very helpful and sent me a shipping label. I decided that I would make up some 107 SMK and 120 SMK that came in the day I received the email. I am very glad I did. The 107 load averages about 1.25 inches at 100. But the 120 SMK with 28 grains of 8208 xbr shoots one ragged hole groups at 100. Gonna give it a good cleaning and try some 10 shot groups with this load, if it holds up over 10 rounds I think I will be keeping this upper.

Comment

• Twkenny
                            Unwashed
                            • May 2018

Originally posted by Coancr View Post
                            I have been following this thread as I to have a BCA upper. I emailed them last week after not being able to find any factory ammo or reload combination that would shoot moa. I found a couple that would do 1.75 @ 100. They were very helpful and sent me a shipping label. I decided that I would make up some 107 SMK and 120 SMK that came in the day I received the email. I am very glad I did. The 107 load averages about 1.25 inches at 100. But the 120 SMK with 28 grains of 8208 xbr shoots one ragged hole groups at 100. Gonna give it a good cleaning and try some 10 shot groups with this load, if it holds up over 10 rounds I think I will be keeping this upper.
                            That is great to hear. Can't really expect much more! I'll pick up some Sierra's on the way home. What primers did you use?

Comment

• Coancr
                              Unwashed
                              • Apr 2018

CCI magnum

Comment

• NightFisher
                                Bloodstained
                                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Coancr View Post
                                Gonna give it a good cleaning and try some 10 shot groups with this load, if it holds up over 10 rounds I think I will be keeping this upper.
                                It may take you more than 10 rounds to get your accuracy back after a good cleaning.....

Comment

Working...
                                X