X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coancr
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2018

True. It only had about 30 since the last time it was thoroughly cleaned. I would hope it will come back to at least sub moa fairly quickly hopefully

Comment

• Twkenny
      Unwashed
      • May 2018

Originally posted by Coancr View Post
      True. It only had about 30 since the last time it was thoroughly cleaned. I would hope it will come back to at least sub moa fairly quickly hopefully
      I think that is what has been frustrating to me. These seem so much more inconsistent than some of my other rifles. My Daniel Defense seems to shoot great clean, dirty, or really dirty!

Comment

• Coancr
        Unwashed
        • Apr 2018

Just a FYI for any interested the 120 SMK stayed a very good load. Well under MOA.
        Also seems like from some more loading I have done my barrel really likes alot of jump. Hope this helps

Comment

• ported45
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

Broke down and bought a box of Hornday Black Saturday just to see how the factory stuff would chamber. It needed light mortaring to pop the cartridge back out and there is a bright scuff ring all the way around the ogive where it stuck in the throat. It was just the throat that stuck as it is a complete circle and no signs of touching the rifling. Again just guessing, but maybe a worn reamer that left the throat too small? Out of SAAMI spec, whatever the cause.

I went back on my word about not dealing with BCA again. I emailed them and they agreed to let me return just the barrel and swap for a stainless version of the 20" straight fluted. That way if the throat on it is out of spec, I can just use a throat reamer and fix it myself next time. Now to just start unscrewing things!

Comment

• ported45
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

Well, it took me some time as I could find no one local to borrow a vise block from and then we had our family vacation. Toward the end of vacation I ordered vise blocks and the barrel should be in BCA's hands today. Sure hope the stainless barrel doesn't need the throat reamed, but I will do what I have to if it does.

Whatever happens, this should be my last experience with Bear Creek Arsenal.

Comment

• ported45
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

Final update from me on BCA. The stainless barrel had an appropriate length neck in it, but that didn't help much.

It shot so bad that I thought my scope had given up on me, so I replaced it with a new Nikon. Still spraying rounds. 5.25" group with the Hornady Black. BCA says that they are giving me a full refund when they get the upper back in their hands.

I'M DONE!!!! Four tries is plenty for me. Spent in excess of $200 in bullets, brass, powder, gas, and factory ammo on this endeavor.

Congrats to all those who accidentally got a good barrel from BCA. Pretty sure that is not the norm.

Comment

• 1Shot
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

ported45 BCA must have sent you the barrel that came off the upper I sent back to them. LOL When I got mine back it did shoot better than what yours is but it was in no way what I would call accurate. It took around 100 rounds down the thing before it started to group. I have found some loads that now shoot between 1" and 3/4" consistently and I can live with that. NO MORE BCA FOR ME EITHER!

Comment

• ported45
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2018

Originally posted by 1Shot View Post
                  ported45 BCA must have sent you the barrel that came off the upper I sent back to them. LOL When I got mine back it did shoot better than what yours is but it was in no way what I would call accurate. It took around 100 rounds down the thing before it started to group. I have found some loads that now shoot between 1" and 3/4" consistently and I can live with that. NO MORE BCA FOR ME EITHER!
                  I may be spoiled by the 5.56 and .300 Blackout uppers that I got from Hardened Arms, .5" and .75" respectively all the time with a couple different loads.

I would have been satisfied with 1" groups with BCA, but that was not even close!!

Comment

• ErikS
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by 1Shot View Post
                    So one of the cheapest barrels sold consistently shoots 1 MOA with any load and you are complaining? I would understand if you bought a Lilja or Shilen tube but a BCA, nah you can't get away with complaining on that result.
                    #shareyourspare

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by ErikS View Post
                      So one of the cheapest barrels sold consistently shoots 1 MOA with any load and you are complaining? I would understand if you bought a Lilja or Shilen tube but a BCA, nah you can't get away with complaining on that result.
                      No he didn't say any load at all.

He said ( I have found a few loads) meaning handloads.

Comment

• ErikS
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

and...

Once again, it is one of the cheapest barrels on the market. It is nuts to hold the cost niche to the same or similar standards as the higher cost products. To get 1 MOA with anything is nothing to sneeze at.

I can understand complaining about a barrel that shot 2.5 MOA, even after trying a number of hand loads but that performance is what I would expect out of a <$100 barrel.

If a shooter wants .5 MOA using a variety of ammo, then that cost niche is not were they should be shopping.

ETA

In the prior post I should have written (any load at all)
                        Last edited by ErikS; 08-11-2018, 10:27 AM. Reason: clarity
                        #shareyourspare

Comment

• 1Shot
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2018

Two loads to be exact out of so many I have lost count. The problem is not just a low cost barrel but it is quality control at the factory. There is no way they are checking every barrel. The one that came on my complete upper, which cost me nearly $400 and was my first and by the way will be my last experience with BCA, had a muzzle and crown that looked like it had been done by a two year old with a hammer and chisel. It would not "group" at all, every shot was a flier. Others have received barrels with the same problem or that have throats so short that even SAMMI speck factory ammo jams into the lands. I am not a novice when it comes to firearms. In my 50+ years of experience with firearms I have never seen such poor quality control across the board. So if you are looking for a fight go someplace else.

Comment

• ErikS
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2017

Not looking for a fight at all. I was just pointing out the niche the company fills and expectations for that niche.

You don't have corner on experience, please keep that in mind.
                            #shareyourspare

Comment

• ported45
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2018

Originally posted by ErikS View Post
                              Not looking for a fight at all. I was just pointing out the niche the company fills and expectations for that niche.

You don't have corner on experience, please keep that in mind.

The expectations were already set by BCA. On their website they state that they expect 1" groups or better.

If they lived up to their own expectations, we would have no excuse not to be happy. If they can't meet their own expectations, maybe they need to re-evaluate their stated expectations!
                              Last edited by ported45; 08-13-2018, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                                Chieftain
                                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by ported45 View Post
                                The expectations were already set by BCA. On their website they state that they expect 1" groups of better.

If they lived up to their own expectations, we would have no excuse not to be happy. If they can't meet their own expectations, maybe they need to re-evaluate their stated expectations!
                                This.

I don't care of a barrel is 50 bucks or 500. If it won't shoot well, then it's nothing but an expensive tomato stake. If I'm buying tomato stakes, I'm sure as hell not going to do so from a company that charges me 50 bucks a piece.

There is a difference between buying a 1moa guaranteed barrel and a tomato stake though. Or there should be.
                                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                                X