• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • klr
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

Classic Firearms Grendel Barrel Review.

I bought a 6.5 Grendel barrel from Classic Firearms. It was a 20" SS heavy with 5r rifling. It looked good on the outside, but I did a chamber cast and found it was chambered crooked.

Here are pictures of opposite sides of the chamber cast.

My email for a refund was ignored for a couple of days until I responded to their request for a review on their website and I submitted that mine had a crooked chamber.

Yesterday I received a partial refund. I immediately emailed that I expected the full amount, but haven't heard anything yet.

They did publish my review.
  • alaska_guy
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

I am guessing here... You used melted aluminum to create the cast? Did you shoot the rifle and were having issues prior to making the cast? It looks like on one side the rifling goes all the way to the barrel extension and the other does not... I assume that is what you are referring to?

Comment

• klr
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by alaska_guy View Post
      I am guessing here... You used melted aluminum to create the cast? Did you shoot the rifle and were having issues prior to making the cast? It looks like on one side the rifling goes all the way to the barrel extension and the other does not... I assume that is what you are referring to?
      I used Cerrosafe for the chamber cast. It melts at a low temp and then contracts as it cools for a brief period of time. This allows it to be removed easily.

It was a new barrel and I'm not going to use a bad barrel to build an accurate rifle. I sent it back immediately.

The rifling goes all the way to the case mouth on one side, yet has a generous leade on the other side. This means the bullet start off crooked or with heavy contact on one side.

Comment

• CVCOBRA1
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2018

Rifling that bad and that close to the throat should be visible to the naked eye with a bright bore light. I would have sent it back also.

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

Two barrels made from the same steel. One goes to Lilja the other goes to Classic. One sells for $450 the other for $100.

What do you think the difference will be?
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

How do you even do that?

My next question is, if you have the materials and know-how to do chamber casting, why are we messing with the lowest price barrels on the market? Just thinking out loud.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Forums apparently are the new QC for the industry. Sad...
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• mdewitt71
              Warrior
              • Dec 2016

I have bought off of Classic Firearms often; I would never expect anything they sell to be "Precision"...
              I have to 2nd LRRPF52 comment, why mess with the low grade when you are chamber casting to see perfection?
              ― George Orwell

Comment

• Keef
                Warrior
                • Jun 2017

How many different barrels have you made castings from?

Comment

• Clarence
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2015

Good quality cerrosafe casting. Barrel was obviously chambered with an un-piloted reamer to have a chamber several thousandths off-center, or a grossly undersized pilot. About what one would expect from a bargain basement barrel.

Comment

• Wabbit87
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2018

I have a 20" ss 1/8 5r barrel from them as well but I inspected mine with a light and looks good and shoots damn good so hit and miss ..
                    6.5 Grendel https://imgur.com/gallery/NQ2DR

Comment

• alaska_guy
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2018

I own their 18" 5r fluted, i checked with a light before assembling and mine looked fine as well. I need to shoot the thing to see if its a keeper or not.

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

probably everyone's gotten a tomato stake-barrel at one time or other.
                        Important thing is, don't do it again.
                        Sean Connery: "Here endeth the lesson."
                        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Randy99CL
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2017

I don't understand those giving the OP a hard time for making a chamber cast. It's the best way to get a look at the chamber and throat, why does it matter what the barrel costs?

Material costs $15 at Midway. It's reusable, melts at fairly low temp and is extremely accurate. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...g-alloy-1-2-lb

I'm buying some and making casts of all my guns, why not?
                          For example, I'll be able to see the differences between the chambers in my target 10/22s and my regular 10/22.
                          "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Keef
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2017

I think its cool. Never heard of the stuff before today. Planning to order some. Would like to see some pics of other chamber castings if yall have any.

Comment

• Wabbit87
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2018

Not giving him a hard time at all infact I'd like to do a cast on my barrel just to make sure and cast my ar47 barrel to see if there is any wear from shooting all that steel cased bimetal bullets. Plus that's a pretty nice way to see just how far the lands are
                              6.5 Grendel https://imgur.com/gallery/NQ2DR

Comment

Working...
                              X