• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • klr
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
    I don't understand those giving the OP a hard time for making a chamber cast. It's the best way to get a look at the chamber and throat, why does it matter what the barrel costs?

Material costs $15 at Midway. It's reusable, melts at fairly low temp and is extremely accurate. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...g-alloy-1-2-lb

I'm buying some and making casts of all my guns, why not?
    For example, I'll be able to see the differences between the chambers in my target 10/22s and my regular 10/22.

Thanks. I don't understand why someone wouldn't want to make a cast. $12 delivered to your door, stuff a cleaning patch in the bore, melt it with a heatgun in a minute or so, and pour it in. It gives you a great look at your chamber and helps in bullet seating.

For the, "you learned a lesson buying junk" crowd, here's a cast from a premium "hand-lapped match-grade" barrel I bought before I tried this cheapo Classic Firearms barrel. This AR barrel cost waaay more than the CF barrel and the group buy barrels offered here. You can put a straightedge on the cartridge and see the barrel bore misalignment.

I also did a chamber cast for my brother's $99 Anderson Grendel barrel. It looks good and shoots into an inch @ 100 with stuff it likes.
    Also chamber cast a .223 cheapo JSE barrel and a PSA .223. Look good. JSE barrel shoots under an inch with ease. Never shot the PSA barrel.
    And I've cast a number of non-AR rifles. I've never seen any crooked chambering like this.

If you don't want to buy Cerrosafe, use some soft lead and make an impact cast. Here's one for a 30-30 I did when I was experimenting with cast bullets.

So this year I'm two for two on getting bad AR barrels. One expensive and one cheap. I'm going to continue to inspect, measure, and test whatever I get.

But back to the original topic. I presented the facts about a barrel I purchased from Classic Firearms and my subsequent customer service experience. I'm still awaiting an email response about why I didn't get a full refund. Hopefully someone finds my info useful when making a decision.

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

The barrel casting is a great idea. Thanks for posting.

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

I’m not trying to give the op a hard time, rather coming at this from a business owners perspective.

You want me to stand behind my work? Pay for it.

You want the cheapest price? (I send them down the road) Be prepared for some issues.

If I sell a $100 barrel, you get what you get. If I sell a $450 barrel and care about my reputation I’m answering his email and making it right.

Most of us never cast a chamber. I only worry about how it comes out the other end. What would be wrong with shooting the thing and then reviewing the barrel?

You can’t have both. The numbers just don’t work.
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

I think anyone buying a barrel has a right to expect a resonably concentric chamber and bore.
          This is obviously a manufacturing defect.

Comment

• rabiddawg
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2013

How does anyone know if it’s a defect until he shoots it?

Playin devils advocate here.

Mark Twain

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by klr View Post

For the, "you learned a lesson buying junk" crowd, here's a cast from a premium "hand-lapped match-grade" barrel I bought before I tried this cheapo Classic Firearms barrel. This AR barrel cost waaay more than the CF barrel and the group buy barrels offered here.
              How did this barrel shoot?

Did you ask them to correct the problem?

If so what was their reply?

Why not name this manufacturer too?

Mark Twain

Comment

• klr
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2017

I'm not trying to start a flame war or be sarcastic, but is this a serious question?

If so,

Bullet hits lands hard when round is chambered and is pushed back into brass raising chamber pressure. Crooked chamber causes brass to contact bolt face on one side and produces uneven pressure on bolt face when firing. Pressure also rises as bullet has to deform to change directions from chamber to bore.

Do you really want to test this with your body parts so close?

Back on topic. Classic has determined that this is a manufacturing defect and given me a full refund.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                  Chieftain
                  • Oct 2016

Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                    Chieftain
                    • Oct 2016

Good to hear about the refund. Should have been done immediately. How many times did you have to make contact to get resolution?
                    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• klr
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                      Good to hear about the refund. Should have been done immediately. How many times did you have to make contact to get resolution?
                      Four.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                        Chieftain
                        • Oct 2016

Not exactly inspired customer service. Alas, America, where the customer has become a liability rather than the priority. I’ve been watching this, and will remember it. Good luck with your next barrel.

Comment

• klr
                          Bloodstained
                          • Aug 2017

Thanks. Hopefully my experience will convince others to check their parts and put together a better (safer) AR.

Here's a link to the $12 Cerrosafe:

Cerrosafe (aka Bolton 160-190). Principal uses are in proof casting cavities (threads, dies, molds, blind holes, gun barrels); Duplicate patterns in foundry match plate making: supporting work pieces while machining; pray coating wood patterns.

Comment

• 98Z
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post

Playin devils advocate here.
                            And... at that point, you voided any kind of warranty on it, in most cases. Casting it is smart.

Kudos to the OP.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2017

As someone else noted, we customers are the company QC these days.

On another forum it's been discussed that some companies are putting out product with some pretty obvious defects. It's been said that with the automated production lines today they don't inspect every piece, maybe 1 in 3 or 1 in 10 or 1 in 100 because inspections slow down the line.
                              Some bean counter has determined that it is cheaper to get your money, then replace or repair bad product than it is to stop it from going out in the first place. Might be a tax break involved that helps the company bottom line.

Company reputation be damned.
                              "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                                Chieftain
                                • Feb 2013

My point thru this whole exchange has been you get what you pay for. Don’t expect quality, accuracy, warranty or customer service from the low cost leaders.

Klr I will ask again. Im curious, who made your “way more expensive barrel”
                                Last edited by rabiddawg; 03-08-2018, 11:45 AM.

Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X