X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keef
    Warrior
    • Jun 2017

People buy 65K trucks that have problems right out the gate.......I seen many a 5-15k zero turn mower have parts break in the first year and 35k-50k tractors do the same. I don't know if bean counter or poor QC is to blame, some times shit happens.

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
      How does anyone know if it’s a defect until he shoots it?

Playin devils advocate here.
      Are you saying chambers and bores shouldn't be concentric? I never would have guessed it didn't matter.
      BCA took back a barrel from me with grooves in the chamber and sent me a new one.
      I shot a 0.9 MOA five shot group with the original barrel but it left stripes embossed on the brass.
      I haven't gotten the replacement barrel broken in yet.

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
        Are you saying chambers and bores shouldn't be concentric? I never would have guessed it didn't matter..
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

All of my Grendel’s shoot to my satifaction. I don’t see any reason to cast my chambers. I am careful about who I buy my stuff from. The group buy Faxon is the cheapest barrel I ever bought. By paying a little more I would like to think I skew the odds in my favor that it is going to be right.
          +1, my thoughts also. My earlier comment was simply that "we've all been there; learn and move on." From whom you buy is of course your own free decision but buyer be aware...

I looked at the MSDS sheet for the casting alloy. One reason I took that extra step is I rarely see an ad for something for sale, saying "please read the MSDS"... anyway this alloy has several heavy metals in it, and the processes of cutting, particle-making or dust-making, as well as if it gets a little bit "overheated" resulting in fumes... I don't want to go there. Neither Cadmium nor lead is a healthy thing for your lungs; I've got asthma and don't want any deeper issues, plus I have young grandkids running around. Don't want the introduction of this into the house environment. So I won't be doing any castings of chambers. Heavy metals have a tendency to accumulate in the body, they don't get removed.
          That's something to ponder, however to each his own.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

The chamber is difficult to inspect. Without casting or a more expensive bore scope you would never know what you have.
            I have added casting metal to my cart. I will take my chances with "chemicals known to the state of California to be hazardous to my health."

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

Need a thread on castings. A place for those that do to report the process and results. I like the idea of knowing for sure what the physical dimensions inside my Chambers look like, but I am more than a little intimidated by pouring molten metal into my barrels.
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• alaska_guy
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2018

Sounds like they took care of you. I have read a pretty recent thread on here where someone shot 5" groups with their BCA, they complained and received a refund. I don't believe shooting it voids the warranty. Seems this company does their best to make customers happy considering the price point of their barrel.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                  The chamber is difficult to inspect. Without casting or a more expensive bore scope you would never know what you have.
                  I have added casting metal to my cart. I will take my chances with "chemicals known to the state of California to be hazardous to my health."
                  Understand Bj... I respect your choices.
                  But fwiw I didn't care what Calif thought about it, I know those metals from my nuclear days.

Comment

• Armadillo66
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2017

I have a heavy straight flute 18" I bought from Classic Firearms. Looks good, I spent some quality time really scrubbing the bore and chamber before I fired it.
                    I had some feed and cycling issues, but today I installed a Wolff extra power carbine spring and a Stoner H2 buffer. Now it functions really good, throws brass out at 2-3 oclock, not mangling brass at all. Shot a nice 3/4" group dead center at 100yds with Hornady Black after the spring and buffer upgrade

Comment

• Randy99CL
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2017

My thoughts on casting:
                      This stuff melts between 158 and 190 degrees F while water boils at 212. You can melt it on your stove or with a torch or even a heat gun. Not crazy dangerous like molten lead, but still potentially dangerous.
                      Thanks to the warnings posted here (thanks Grayfox!) I won't saw the block (makes dust) but will use a torch to melt some off into a ladle. And I'll only work with it outside on the patio.

The only other option is a borescope and a casting is way better. For example, it would be hard to see misalignment with a borescope. A casting that you can eyeball and measure is the coolest thing ever.
                      "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

This would eliminate a lot of time and money trying to get that troublesome barrel to shoot well.
                        I just bought 1/2 lb. cerrosafe on ebay from a metals fabrication seller for $11. Done.

Comment

• Popeye212
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2018

You sell me a crooked barrel you best stand behind it. If you don't have pride enough to stand behind your work don't do it.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2013

Just so there is no confusion, I own a body shop and I do offer a lifetime warranty on my paint work.
                            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                              Chieftain
                              • Oct 2016

Just so there is no confusion, I own a body shop and I do offer a lifetime warranty on my paint work.
                              I see what you did there. Can I get a $100 paint job? HAHA! Sorry, couldn't resist.
                              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• grayfox
                                Chieftain
                                • Jan 2017

My body doesn't need paint, it needs all the joints and rusty pieces fixed...!!!!!
                                And a 45 year warranty... the original warranty's up and who knows what "lifetime" means any more!!! LOL!
                                (Thought I was the only one thinking humor there!!)

Comment

Working...
                                X