Desert Tactical Arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
    Actually, Reagan did not invoke the Pressler Amendment in 1987. It wasn't until after the Russkies left Afghanistan that exports were halted to Pakistan in 1990 by Bush 41.

I don't think PRC delivered working nukes, but some fissile material and plans for a simple bomb. IIRC, it wasn't until late 90's that they finally detonated a bomb. I don't believe there was ever a working bomb for aircraft in the 80's.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2009111300578
    Also very knowledgeable about history

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
      Warrior
      • Apr 2013

I today sent the following letter-input to Desert Tech President & CEO, Nick Young:

"Dear Mr. Young:

"First, I'll take this opportunity to applaud your recent decision re the Pakistan arms deal. My hat off to you for taking the high road.

"It was with great anticipation that I looked forward to the unveiling of the new Desert Tech Micro Dynamic Rifle (MDR). And, I shared with others the hope --- I dare state, the expectation --- that the highly inticing statement, "Convertible between 5 calibers," meant to include the 21st Century ultra-efficient, can-do 6.5mm Grendel cartridge.

"I've been working with Bullpup rifles, since the 1970's. I think it's fair to state that the term, "Micro Dynamic Rifle," represents the essence of a compact, easy-to-carry, all-purpose Bullpup rifle. Enter: the "Micro Dynamic Cartridge," the 6.5mm Grendel.

"Using 16" barrels, I've compared the downrange Velocity (fps) and Energy (ft-lbs) values for the 6.5mm Grendel (123-grain, BC - 0.510), the 6.8mm SPC (110-grain, BC - 0.370) and the .308 Winchester (150-grain, BC - 0.314), to 600 yards (Drift, with 10 mph crosswind):

. . . 6.5mm Grendel . . . . . . 6.8mm SPC . . . . . . . . .308 Winchester
      . . . Velocity/Energy . . . . . Velocity/Energy . . . . . Velocity/Energy

0 ---- 2460/1653 . . . . . . . . . . . 2550/1588 . . . . . . . . . . 2575/2208
      100 - 2297/1441 . . . . . . . . . . . 2322/1317 . . . . . . . . . . . 2306/1771
      200 - 2140/1250 . . . . . . . . . . . 2106/1083 . . . . . . . . . . 2054/1405
      300 - 1989/1081 . . . . . . . . . . . 1902/884 . . . . . . . . . . . 1819/1102
      400 - 1845/930 . . . . . . . . . . . . 1711/715 . . . . . . . . . . . . 1603/856
      500 - 1709/797 . . . . . . . . . . . . 1537/577 . . . . . . . . . . . . 1411/664
      600 - 1580/682 (D, 32.3") . . 1380/465 (D, 45.9") . . 1249/520 (D, 56.2")

"NOTE: While the 6.5mm Grendel shares the same basic case, as the 7.62x39mm round, the Grendel's case taper is less, and doesn't require the "banana-shaped" magazine.

"On behalf of MDR Enthusiasts, who want an all-purpose cartridge, with half the recoil energy of the .308 Winchester round, your consideration is appreciated. Thank you.

"Sincerely,"

Comment

• Keep The Change
        Warrior
        • Mar 2013

A bunch of us should write similar letters as well.
        As much as I would love a DT weapon in either the bolt action or MDR, I'll probably never be able to get one unless I unload some other guns which isn't likely for some time. So having them make a Grendel version won't effect me at all.

However, it will affect us if we push and begin seeing big name manufacturers building a 6.5 Grendel rifle and bring more attention to the round and it's capabilities. Once somebody does just a little bit digging like I did last year they will see the capabilities and instantly love the round. Especially if you are wanting to start doing some distance shooting. The same AR-15 platform can be used. This is very appealing.

But the more gun makers putting a 6.5 Grendel weapon on the market the better it is for all of us.

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

I'm excited to see the Grendel offered in the MDR. It looks like this could be the answer to the need for an AR12 for the Grendel. That is if they utilize the .308 components for the Grendel.
          Last edited by cory; 01-16-2014, 02:14 PM.
          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• m796rider
            Warrior
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
            Has anyone that's at SHOT SHOW asked Desert Tac if they considered the Grendel?
            Yep... Hopefully a bunch more will as well.

Comment

Just got back from SHOT, and spent some time at DTA's booth looking over the prototypes of the MDR-C and MDR. If it proves reliable, I think they have cracked the bullpup code. This is something I've had to sit on for years, knowing that Nick was working on a semi-auto bullpup. He's a big bullpup fan obviously, and has really analyzed all the military bullpup variants on the market over the years.

The guns are very light compared to the Tavor. The ejection system is one of the more innovative approaches to a bullpup design that I have seen over the years. The trigger feels nothing like a bullpup, and is very smooth and light on the prototypes. The system has a common receiver set with the upper and lower, with a modular insert to change cartridge length types when going from 7.62 NATO based cartridge, to intermediate cartridges.

The bolt is a Stoner rotating lug design, but with nuances to be able to articulate with the ejection system. The ejection port cover/chute can be opened by the user to access the chamber and bolt for clearing malfs. You can check the chamber without opening the cover, as there is a bit of clearance on the forward edge of the cover to see the chamber.

The gas block and regulator is reminiscent of the FAL, with tool-less rotation of the knob. The magazine release is forward of the trigger guard, and mirror-ambidextrous, so it is the only bullpup I know of that can drop the mag with in-place firing hand operation. The guns have a lot of TD&E to undergo, so I wouldn't expect anything soon on them.

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

Great info. I don't have any experience with bullpup, but I believe some use electrical systems in their triggers, correct? Is the MDR a purely mechanical system or does it rely on some electrical systems in the trigger and mag release?
                "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Totally mechanical. Neither I, nor a prominent gun industry reviewer could get the trigger to reset, so that is one of the areas that needs to be addressed between now and production. Maybe it resets when fired, but we had no way to tell.

The Remington R51 pistols I looked over had the same problem. The slide would hang up when you held the trigger to the rear while testing reset.

Comment

• babue
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    Just got back from SHOT, and spent some time at DTA's booth looking over the prototypes of the MDR-C and MDR. If it proves reliable, I think they have cracked the bullpup code. This is something I've had to sit on for years, knowing that Nick was working on a semi-auto bullpup. He's a big bullpup fan obviously, and has really analyzed all the military bullpup variants on the market over the years.

The guns are very light compared to the Tavor. The ejection system is one of the more innovative approaches to a bullpup design that I have seen over the years. The trigger feels nothing like a bullpup, and is very smooth and light on the prototypes. The system has a common receiver set with the upper and lower, with a modular insert to change cartridge length types when going from 7.62 NATO based cartridge, to intermediate cartridges.

The bolt is a Stoner rotating lug design, but with nuances to be able to articulate with the ejection system. The ejection port cover/chute can be opened by the user to access the chamber and bolt for clearing malfs. You can check the chamber without opening the cover, as there is a bit of clearance on the forward edge of the cover to see the chamber.

The gas block and regulator is reminiscent of the FAL, with tool-less rotation of the knob. The magazine release is forward of the trigger guard, and mirror-ambidextrous, so it is the only bullpup I know of that can drop the mag with in-place firing hand operation. The guns have a lot of TD&E to undergo, so I wouldn't expect anything soon on them.
                    Sounds very promising. Just have to wait and see how development goes and if they actually become a production piece.
                    The Tavor is the most modern bullpup by age but the design did not break any new ground to make it any better than an
                    AUG or FS2000. Lighter is always better and being able to drop the mag with the firing hand still in position is a nice feature.
                    Can you say how the ejection system works, as compared to the operation of the FS2000? The forward ejection really improves the ambi operation of the system, one of the things that makes the FS2000 so good.
                    I will be watching the development, especially if they make a Grendel barrel or I would like one in 7.62x39, if no Grendel.

Comment

• WildBill3/75

Video of the MDR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6DfL6ZveCM

Comment

Originally posted by babue View Post
                        ...being able to drop the mag with the firing hand still in position is a nice feature.....
                        One of the strong points of AUG ergonomics is the magazine release.

Comment

• babue
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
                          One of the strong points of AUG ergonomics is the magazine release.
                          Did not say it was not a good point. My FS2000 works like the AUG but for people used to AR's they do not care for the mag release on the AUG or FS2000.

Comment

• stanc
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            Just got back from SHOT, and spent some time at DTA's booth looking over the prototypes of the MDR-C and MDR. If it proves reliable, I think they have cracked the bullpup code.
                            Well, part of the code, anyway. The toughest bullpup issue has yet to be solved: LOP adjustable to fit shooters with short arms and/or wearing body armor. The MDR's LOP looks to be rather long.

Comment

• stanc
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by babue View Post
                              My FS2000 works like the AUG but for some people used to AR's they do not care for the mag release on the AUG or FS2000.
                              Fixed it fer ya. (I was just as comfortable with the mag release on my AUG as I was with that on my two AR15s.)

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                                Warrior
                                • Oct 2012

I have definitely seen some of our Austrian friends do mag changes approximately as fast as any I have seen done with an M-4. I fully expected it to be a problem since it was closer to the body and the release location. It wasn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X