• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KentuckyBuddha
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Matt @ LSI View Post
    If only it were that easy!
    Amortized over all the copies of 7.62x39, 5.56, .204....etc you would have in increased sales from here on out in that line, it still might be worth the bother.

Comment

• Doon
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
      I read on another thread here on the forum that the twist rate on the prototypes is 1:9. I strongly recommend 1:8 for the 6.5 Grendel.

If you go to Berger Bullet's Twist Rate Calculator and enter in data for a sort of worst-case scenario — 6.5mm 130 Berger AR Hybrid at 2450 fps at temperature 0 and altitude 0 with a 1:8 twist — you get a "comfortable" stability factor of 1.61. Good article on this by Litz here.

Changing only the twist rate to 1:9, you get "marginal" stability of 1.27.

To get back to comfortable stability with a 1:9 in those conditions — let's say you're on the Alaskan coast in winter — you'd need a muzzle velocity of 4,000 fps!

Howa: Please, change the twist on your 6.5 Grendel mini-actions from 1:9 to 1:8 before these go into production!

P.S. If you're trying to be efficient by using the same barrels as your 6.5x55s, they, too, will benefit going to 1:8.

P.P.S. Bryan Litz tested velocity loss from twist rate increase and found it averaged only 1.33 fps per inch of twist rate. So if your 1:9 shoots 2601.33, then your 1:8 will shoot 2600 fps.
      My Savage Grendel has a 1-8 twist Howa 6.5 x55 barrel and it shoots .5 MOA with 123 SST with ease. This was during barrel brake in.
      it was taken from a Howa 6.5x55 brand new rifle and shortened to 20.5 " and adapted to fit a Savage model 11 action.
      The chamber is 6.5 LCB-AR and can load 123gn SST to 2.3" with ease, still playing with it but the 1-8 Howa barrel is more than I could of wished for.
      I agree the 1-9 twist would be a compromise.

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
        Warrior
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
        I read on another thread here on the forum that the twist rate on the prototypes is 1:9. I strongly recommend 1:8 for the 6.5 Grendel.

If you go to Berger Bullet's Twist Rate Calculatorheretested velocity loss from twist rate increase and found it averaged only 1.33 fps per inch of twist rate. So if your 1:9 shoots 2601.33, then your 1:8 will shoot 2600 fps.
        gooooood mornin!

its a beautiful blue bird, balmy 25 degree morning here in Reno. Ill be out shooting these at distance today, hopefully to 600-800 yards depending on terrain conditions.

i do have good news on the RATE OF TWIST front, these are IN-FACT going to be 1-8 twist. i received an answer from the factory but i am still awaiting throat and chamber specs. They are on vacation until the 4th at the Japan Offices.

the 1-8 does make more sense, even our 6.5 creedmoors are 1-8 twist and those absolutely love 140gr pills.

ill be uploading some video hopefully by today!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Very good news! Take. My. Money. NOW!

Oh, and I know we've been tormenting you with all our pet suggestions and pulling you in a million different directions, but think about offering the stock colored in Flat Dark Earth or Coyote Brown?

A lot of shooting in the U.S. happens during hunting season when both the leaves and grass are brown, and something like Dark Earth or Coyote would serve as a good basis for desert and autumn camo.

Ruger has done it with their American Ranch Rifle! Just sayin'! Heh. Heh. Heh. . . .
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
            Warrior
            • Nov 2015

i would personally love to see a sand stock. The YOTE pattern is the only flavor in the predator hunting genre right now, Which will be available to some distributors and special orders. Current Stock colors are; Black, Green, Kryptek Highlander and Multicam. As soon as we get git in a steady supply of all proposed calibers we will more than likely be looking into different stocks. A couple of members have proposed modifying current stocks but im sorry its just not that easy. We have to pay a large chunk of money to have a new mold developed to any manufacturer and then test and modify. We do it right from the start, a ground up made to fit stock. Stocks arent something you can just modify to work and expect 100% perfect results. Bare with us, as these gain popularity there will be more stocks/mounts/bottom metals available. These are still in their infancy but the future looks VERY bright.
            Last edited by Matt @ LSI; 12-30-2015, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

You guys are moving FAST! I see the catalog is already laid out. It's all good, no worries. For my personal taste, the Kryptek Highlander is beautiful, as well.

As you say, it's better to get these out the door and selling, and then other variations can be offered down the road. . . .

Howa is certainly proving they are TRYING to offer a variety of cool options, and it's that attitude that we LIKE!

UPDATE: Online article by Wayne Van Zwoll reviews .223 version.
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Since we are playing "please may I have", can we get a heavy barreled 24" version?

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                  Since we are playing "please may I have", can we get a heavy barreled 24" version?
                  The longest Howa plans on going is 20" for the HB version

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

The longest Howa plans on going is 20" for the HB version
                    Will Howa sell actions?

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                      Will Howa sell actions?
                      Howa does not sell to the public. We are selling the mini action barreled actions if you wish to go that route.

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

Howa does not sell to the public. We are selling the mini action barreled actions if you wish to go that route.
                        May be my best option. I like the 20-22 barrels as hunters, but a 20 inch heavy barrel doesn't take maximal advantage of the bolt action for long range. I regularly shoot my 28" AR out to 800-1000 yards.

Comment

• MrDraco
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2011

i would personally love to see a sand stock. The YOTE pattern is the only flavor in the predator hunting genre right now, Which will be available to some distributors and special orders. Current Stock colors are; Black, Green, Kryptek Highlander and Multicam. As soon as we get git in a steady supply of all proposed calibers we will more than likely be looking into different stocks. A couple of members have proposed modifying current stocks but im sorry its just not that easy. We have to pay a large chunk of money to have a new mold developed to any manufacturer and then test and modify. We do it right from the start, a ground up made to fit stock. Stocks arent something you can just modify to work and expect 100% perfect results. Bare with us, as these gain popularity there will be more stocks/mounts/bottom metals available. These are still in their infancy but the future looks VERY bright.
                          This pic of the catalog says it comes with a 10 round mag but on the last page, the specs you posted says 5 round. Which is correct?

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by MrDraco View Post
                            This pic of the catalog says it comes with a 10 round mag but on the last page, the specs you posted says 5 round. Which is correct?
                            the grendels come with a 5rd magazine. the other calibers come with 10 rounders.

Comment

• Drift
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2014

I believe the Grendel has a Max Operating Pressure set at 50,000 (psi I think). Does anyone know who much pressure the new Mini Howa action will take?

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                                Warrior
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Drift View Post
                                I believe the Grendel has a Max Operating Pressure set at 50,000 (psi I think). Does anyone know who much pressure the new Mini Howa action will take?
                                we are not going to publish a breaking point. the only thing we can tell you from a liability standpoint is to shoot factory loaded ammunition to retain the factory warranty. by working up your own loads you take this matter in your own hands. we dont recommend going outside of saami spec for any cartridge.

Comment

Working...
                                X