Which chamber for a custom bolt gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which chamber for a custom bolt gun?

So I've had a CZ 527 Grendel conversion on the back burner for a while now, and I'm ready to "pull-the-trigger" and get the build going. The problem is, nobody is making a pre-fit (or as "pre-fit" as a CZ barrel can be) 6.5 Grendel barrel. There are 6.5 GREN MATCH, 6.5 SAOD, 6.5 CSS and .264 LBC barrels out there, but no actual 6.5 Grendel barrels.

I suppose I could get a barrel blank and reamer, but that's beyond the scope of this project and, to the best of my knowledge, nobody is making an off-the-shelf 6.5 Grendel (licensed) reamer anyway.

Now, I (think I) understand the slight differences betwen the chambers, but I'm not sure which one I should go with. So... Which one would you suggest for a bolt-gun build?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Hooz,

There have been some Grendels built on the bolt platform. The guy here with the most knowledge went by the handle of stokesrj on the old board.

He is very willing to help out, and if you hang on I'm sure he'll show back up in the near future. I've actually been trying to send him an email, but the email I had for him bounces.

Comment

I'm getting ready to also pull the trigger on bolt rifle in a savage build for the grendel. I'll probably use the CSS barrel, only thing I think I will have an issue with is getting a bolt head for it, I think the closet one that will fit is the 7.62x39 bolt head that savage sells.

Comment

Gents,
        Does anyone know who manufactures reamers for the Grendel?
        Thanks.

Comment

For a reamer give Dave a call at http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/

Don't expect a reply to e-mail or to find it advertised on their web site.

The Savage bolt head for the 7.62x39 is not close, it is the proper size.

Comment

Doug are you saying that the 7.62x39 bolt head is "the one"?

Comment

Originally posted by hawkinpup View Post
              Doug are you saying that the 7.62x39 bolt head is "the one"?
              Yes, it is "The One".

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Welcome back, Kitsap!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                  Welcome back, Kitsap!!!
                  Bill,

Thanks. Glad to see this place back up and running!!!!

Comment

• CrabbyMcNab
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2011

I thouht I had read the CZ 527 in 762x39 can be reamed to the 65 grendel with a pacific tool reamer. Wasn't it in an article somewhere?

Check out 6mmbr.com for barrels.

Comment

• longdayjake

I thouht I had read the CZ 527 in 762x39 can be reamed to the 65 grendel with a pacific tool reamer.
                      You could probably ream the chamber out but good luck shrinking the bore down to 6.5mm

Comment

• CrabbyMcNab
                        Bloodstained
                        • Mar 2011

Don't quote me on that, just something I came across somewhere.

Comment

• Drifter
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Hooz View Post

So I've had a CZ 527 Grendel conversion on the back burner for a while now, and I'm ready to "pull-the-trigger" and get the build going. The problem is, nobody is making a pre-fit (or as "pre-fit" as a CZ barrel can be) 6.5 Grendel barrel.
                          CSS offers prefit 6.5 barrels for the CZ 527:

Drifter

Comment

But that's not an actual 6.5 Grendel chamber. That's why I asked the original question... Which "non-Grendel" chamber is best for a bolt gun?

There are a ton of people out there building barrels that will work with 6.5 Grendel ammo, but I'm looking for the best, most accurate one.

Comment

• Drifter
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Hooz View Post
                              But that's not an actual 6.5 Grendel chamber. That's why I asked the original question... Which "non-Grendel" chamber is best for a bolt gun?

There are a ton of people out there building barrels that will work with 6.5 Grendel ammo, but I'm looking for the best, most accurate one.
                              All other barrel aspects being equal, the CSS chamber should be equal to or better than the Grendel in terms of accuracy. I think the primary difference between the two is the tighter neck of the CSS. I believe both have compound-angle throats.

As for pre-fit options, the CSS might be the only one. Obviously, a custom job expands the options, but also the cost and time frame.
                              Drifter

Comment

Working...
                              X