• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by s3silver View Post
    Grayfox - sent you a pm.
    I’m out on a hunt, will talk in a couple days when I get back, if that’s ok.

Edit, I might have the bolt head also...
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

s3,
      PM replied. thanks.

Comment

• s3silver
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
        I guess that I should also point out that my Howa has simply been a great little gun. The mag problems haven't been so bad as to cause me to buy another Savage in order to finish the project. That Howa saw many hours of field use this year and last. It has taken a number of deer and bear. While I would prefer a completely flush fit mag, it has been good enough with the DIP inc modifications and cut down mag to serve it's purpose and it is a joy to shoot. It's my most accurate rifle, it has almost no felt recoil, and it is a quiet as a 22lr. There is almost no motivation to replace it.

Nice!

Comment

• bob
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2020

savageaxis.jpeg

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I know I am very late to this thread but since it was the push I needed to do this project I thought I would still go ahead and post this pic.
          savageaxis.jpeg
          Last edited by bob; 05-01-2021, 10:30 PM. Reason: add larger picture

Comment

• bob
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2020

I started with a .223 axis, then installed a PTG 6.5 G bolt face, anarchy bolt handle and knob, criterion 26" varmint barrel, little basterd brake,Boyd's stock from EABCO with pillar blocks and bedded action, Rifle basix trigger, NSS barrel nut, Boyd's trigger guard, Leupold scope base, Vortex scope rings and Night Force 5-20x56 scope.It only has about 100 rounds through it. It shoots 3/4 MOA with Hornady American Gunner factory ammo. It has done much better with Berger 120 gr and Hornady 120 gr ELD both over IMR 8202 xbr. I will probably try Sierrra 107 gr match kings and 107 gr tipper match kings over IMR 8208 xbr and Power Pro varmint next.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Very nice, I bet that will deliver for some long range work.

Comment

• Rosecrans1
                Warrior
                • Feb 2019

Mmmmm. I have a Savage Model 16 Light Weight Hunter that uses the same mag as the Axis in 7mm-08. (It uses the Savage 55232 bottom release latch magazine/PN: 107989).
                It has the bottom bolt release in front of the upgraded metal trigger shroud. it's my favorite deer rifle. Lightweight! Stainless/synthetic weather resistant and accurate as hell shooting three shot groups and one shot kills. The magazine also fits the Model 11, 10 and Model 16 Trophy Hunter models.
                Savage rifles using the 10/110 bolt actions are all over the place in regard to stock options, hardware changes and model designations. Enough to cause severe headaches trying to figure all the nuances out!

Comment

• biodsl
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Rosecrans1 View Post
                  Mmmmm. I have a Savage Model 16 Light Weight Hunter that uses the same mag as the Axis in 7mm-08...
                  Very nice! A keeper.
                  Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

I thought savage made some model 10's in 7.62x39 with detach magazines?

Wouldn't that be the way to go with a barrel and bolt head swap?

The 7.62x39 magazines work for Grendels in everything else.

I googled quick they have 10 and axis in scout models with detach mags in 7.62x39...just need to order those magazines no?
                    Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 05-03-2021, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• hill37
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2017

Dumb question. Is there any reason a Savage style barrel won't work on a CZ527?

Comment

• JASmith
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2014

The Savage uses a barrel nut to hold rhe barrel in place.

The CZ is a classic screw in barrel.
                        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

CZ may also have a different/metric barrel threading into the action...
                          there might be somebody who makes a CZ-age style barrel, like they do for Remmy 700 actions, (Remage) and howa (Howage).

1 or 2 guys on here got the savage in Grendel to work, I had a criterion barrel for my model 10 but even with the 762-39 savage mags couldn't get it to feed reliably... guy I sold it to however was able to do so if I recall.
                          Would definitely make a great shooter.

Comment

• hill37
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2017

I guess I should have said; Can a 527 be converted to the Savage head spacing system?

Comment

• garyrapp55
                              Warrior
                              • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
                              Wouldn't that be the way to go with a barrel and bolt head swap?

The 7.62x39 magazines work for Grendels in everything else.
                              Aren't the 65G & x39 using the same bolt face?

Comment

• JASmith
                                Chieftain
                                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by garyrapp55 View Post
                                Aren't the 65G & x39 using the same bolt face?
                                Yup, and the barrel nut means that one can get the right headspace independent of how deep the bolt face is
                                shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                                -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

Working...
                                X