Cz-527

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know who would tell you the Sciroccos ruin a barrel. I would say the opposite is true, they are a very soft jacket and take the barrel engraving quite easily. Perhaps it is thought that they ruin a barrel because the softer jacket will copper foul sooner than fully gilded alloy jackets. Some would interpret the loss of accuracy as ruining a barrel but all it needs is maintenance.

We see a degradation in accuracy as copper fouling builds. The main driver of this is carbon build up in the throat. The carbon being very hard cuts small particles of copper jacket material from the bullet which are vaporized in the hot gasses and then condense along the bore.
    A regime of solvents to remove both carbon and copper is required, and in addition a polishing compound such as JB or ISSO is used to lap the throat every 250-300 rounds. This will prolong accurate barrel life by slowing throat erosion, as long as the polishing is done in a reasonable and controlled manner. Some people go to town on the polishing and over due it. Since I got a bore scope and can see the carbon and coper deposits and throat wear, the amount of polishing I do is reduced.

But to the original point, I don't think Scirocco bullets will harm a barrel, but inadequate or improper cleaning both will.

Bob

Comment

• from hm2 clark
      I think I put about 4,500-5000 rounds through that little rifle.
      I had occasion to look at likely barrel life for a number of cartridges a couple of years ago. I found a good discussion at http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/gen...erosion-2.html

The long and the short is that the .308 Win appears to average 3000 rounds for useful barrel life, scaling based on bore capacity would suggest that the Grendel would have a life of about 4300 rounds.

Given the variability of these things, it says that your experience is definitely in the ball park for barrel life!

In this case, one might argue that the Scirrocos had no adverse effect on barrel life, especially since the experience was above expectation.

Comment

• Comment

• The article indicates that the 3000 rounds life span is for barrels that start out as shooters of 1/4 moa groups at 100 yards.

.5 to 1 moa shooters get about 6000 rounds

1-2 moa barrels enjoy 10000 rounds.

Barrel lifetime in essence almost depends on the accuracy level demanded. That is, up to the point where the rifling is so badly worn that the bullet tumbles within about 50 yards.

Comment

• Buck2732
            Warrior
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
            17#! Yahoo! A significant part of the CZ 527 Carbine's appeal was the "micro" action and that, when he shouldered one, it was a reasonable (not perfect) fit. If we go for anything in a true "short action," whether Rem or Savage, we might as well chamber the 6.5x47 Lapua or similar round—and that won't be fun for him for a few years.

So it seems like the CZ would be a good fit, but I don't see any boasts about accuracy for the CZ conversions. How well do they shoot? Are they on the .6 moa side or the .9 moa side? [laughing] He shoots well, but weight and recoil are still limiting.

And thank you for mentioning the PTG bolt! Much appreciated!
            He is mine with a light weight sporting barrel. If you go to the bottom you will see some groups. I have also done a write you about my 600y and 1000y trip to Bisley.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...Frankengrendel.
            Buck2732

"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".

"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.

PER ARDUA

Comment

• I have been keeping my eyes open for a CZ527 Varmint simply to see if the Varmint stock mitigates the high scope ring problem. So far, no joy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nukes View Post
                I have been keeping my eyes open for a CZ527 Varmint simply to see if the Varmint stock mitigates the high scope ring problem. So far, no joy.
                I have both the Kevlar (HS Precision) and laminate stocked 527 varmints. The ring height is still an issue, even with the Custom Reloading Tools' bolt handle.

Comment

Working...
                X