X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SCJim
    Warrior
    • Apr 2019

I went all the way up to 28.9 today and found a nice node at 28.7 @ 2500 FPS 12 ft from muzzle with a 18 ES and 8 SD.Shotmarker had the FPS at 100 yards at 2380 FPS with 21.3 ES and 8.9 SD. Regardless, that should keep me supersonic past 800 with 1 - 1.5 MOA performance for AR-T competitions. I will do some more extensive testing soon, lots of wind this week. I like to practice in the wind but need a proven load to do that. If I can get a calm day I will run it out to 300 and 600 before stretching it
    Tac Load workup.jpg

Comment

• SDW
      Warrior
      • Jul 2018

Interesting. At a MV of 2500 FPS, my calculator, Ballistic AE, would have your Berger 120 Match Burners not going trans-sonic until about 950 yds out. I can't say if there are flaws in my app or my input data though. I ran a simple calculation. The bullet's size and G1 BC (.46?) at that MV. Program defaults to Sea level, 70% humidity, zero wind.

FWIW, when I create a calculation using Hornady 123 ELDs at that velocity, it shows these bullets staying supersonic out just past 1050 yards.

Comment

• SCJim
        Warrior
        • Apr 2019

I have always found that bullet manufacturers are generous on the BC calculations. That said the Barnes MB's at a 2500 FPS muzzle will be at 1.03 mach (1150 FPS) until 950 yards if the Barnes BC is correct. With H322 I was borderline at 1150 FPS @ 830 yards with a FPS of 1180 at the target. I shoot at sea level and the range is in the middle of a swamp so at long range humidity comes into play. Anyway I should be good with this load , just have to shoot a few at range to make sure the three shots I used for development were not an anomaly

I have 500 of the ELDM's stashed just in case

Comment

• SDW
          Warrior
          • Jul 2018

That sounds pretty close to what I my calculator says. And the ELDMs are more slippery I guess. Hornady claims a G1 of .506. I have a few hundred ELDMs still. And 500 or so Nosler CCs in that weight that I want to play with at some point. Also some SMKs, same weight.

I need to remember to punch in more data. Specifically, humidity. My app actually defaults to 78% RH. Just checked. Where I do my shooting is out in the Yuha Desert region, just east of San Diego. Typically very low humidity. Interestingly, some parts of that desert are below sea level. But where I shoot the elevation is probably a couple hundred feet.

Comment

• dammitman
            Warrior
            • Dec 2012

i wonder if wilson combat 6.5 grendel barrels chambers are origional specification like alexander arms?

Comment

Working...
            X